Folding utility trailers

• deertracker

Has anyone purchased one of these? Looks like you need to put them together yourself but isn’t a big deal. I live in an apartment so space is limited. I was also looking at the steel version but the aluminum may be worth the extra cost. I would mainly use it to pull my 3 wheeler in the winter.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200660343_200660343

DT

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I had one of those trailers for years. Mine was the steel frame version. After I bought a truck, I gave it to my daughter and son-in-law. They made many, many trips to Menards and compost sites etc. after that.

It has small 8 inch wheels, so there’s a limit to the load it can handle. I managed to bend the frame down slightly trying to move an ATV once. I had to “black smith” it back into shape.

I originally decked it with 3/4 inch green treat. By doing that, the trailer weighed 12,000 pounds and it was almost impossible to tip it up on the rollers. I eventually replaced the floor with 1/2 inch construction grade plywood and life became much easier.

SR

deertracker

Thanks Steve. This one has 12 inch tires so that should help. I have a pickup for heavy loads but have a topper on it and my fish house stays in the truck in the winter. My heaviest load will be my 3 wheeler. The specs says the aluminum ship weight is 195 pounds. I was just think of using 1/2 plywood and staining it.
    DT

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

My neighbor has the steel frame version. He’s lent it to me on several occasions and it’s a perfectly good trailer for the price. Obviously, the weight rating should be taken with a grain of salt, but a 3 wheeler isn’t going to push the weight limit.

We were talking about it one time and he mentioned that since the trailer is bolted together the general advice online is to Loctite every nut and bolt.

The aluminum one has several nice upgrades, LED lights, and light protectors. With that said, I’d ask is it really worth the extra coin? Guess it depends on how much you use it and if rust bugs you.

Grouse

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

45 mph speed limit? Gotta love it when the lawyers get involved,,,,,

HRG

Attachments:
    1. folding-trailer.jpg

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

I bought one from Harbor Freight this spring. So far so good. 12in tires and it says max 55mph. Think it’s cheaper too.
    I did switch it to a 2in coupler so I wouldn’t have to change receivers all the time.

queenswake
    NULL

My only complaint with an old Harbor Freight one I had with the 8 inch wheels was that the coupler that came with it was junk. It would come off of the ball when towing very easily — especially when the trailer was empty. The trailers that both Northern Tool and Harbor Freight sell now look to be better quality, but still watch out for it. And definitely go with the 12 inch wheels.

My only other comment is be prepared for a lot of wrenching. It too me the better part of a weekend to put it together. But was fun to build the wood sides for it exactly how I wanted.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

looks like a good setup. Is folding something you for sure want? Don’t quote me on it but sure price was somewhat similar on a Triton 4×8 I’ve had about 7 years have small aluminum walls and liftgate in it has worked good but then again it doesn’t fold

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

Also put a end gate on it that slips on and off figuring wouldn’t need a ramp with it tilting. Having originally bought it to tow fishhouse that didn’t fit in SUV that had at time didn’t seem like a big deal now it’s towed lawn mowers and all kinds of stuff wish I had a ramp

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My buddy has a steel one. I borrow it frequently. It’s not a great trailer, but it certainly serves its purpose. I’ve hauled a lot of dirt, mulch, tree branches, power equipment, etc with it. He likes the foldability of it.

Ryan P
    Farmington

I used to have one…had it for 3 years I believe. Great little trailer. I bought it from Harbor Freight with one of their coupons for like $250. I had the 12 in. tires and built wood sides for another $100 or so. I sold it last year only because I inherited another trailer. Sometimes I miss the fold up trailer. For the record I sold it for $350 so I had a free trailer for 3 years.

deertracker

Thanks for everyone’s input. I will probably just go the steel route. For $299 there is not much to lose if it only last a few years.
    DT

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.