Fly Reel Rods

• Hunter Blowers

Hi Guys,

I’m new to the forum and have a couple questions that I would like to get your advice! When you use a spool/fly reel, which specific reel do you use? Also what kind of line do you use with it? And lastly what rods do you like to use with fly/spool reels?

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Hi Hunter – I use an Okuma 2/3 – http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Okuma-SLV-2-3-Fly-Reel-p14074.htm

In terms of line, I’m running 3lb Sufix Invisiline on mine, and find that the larger spool (with backing) isn’t as tight as small spinning reel spools and Floro works better on them- http://www.rapala.com/sufix/fluorocarbon/invisiline-ice-fluorocarbon/invisiline-ice-fluorocarbon/InvisiLine+Ice+Fluorocarbon.html?id=2

Because you can’t pickup as much line with a fly-reel, I don’t use the noodle rods, and the slightly stiffer yet lightweight rods with a good backbone are nice. I use a TUCR Quick-Tip rod in a 32″ length on my fly-rod setup.
    http://tunedupcustomrods.com/?product=tucr-quick-tip-ice-rod

On a side note, anything more than 15 FOW and the non-multiplier, straight fly-reel takes forever to let out and pick-up line.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Joel

Ray Gylsen
    Glenwood,Mn

I use a Ross fly reel a 1 to 1 ratio with fly line as backing line. I use the reel on my Tuned Up Custom Rod Precision noodle ice rod with 3lb. test line. Joel why wouldn’t you use a noodle rod? I seem to have no problems, maybe I’m overlooking something.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I use a Ross fly reel a 1 to 1 ratio with fly line as backing line. I use the reel on my Tuned Up Custom Rod Precision noodle ice rod with 3lb. test line. Joel why wouldn’t you use a noodle rod? I seem to have no problems, maybe I’m overlooking something.

You’re not overlooking anything, it’s more a matter of preference. With a noodle rod, you have to set the hook higher/harder to take the bend out of the rod, and without the advantage of the spinning reel’s gear ratio, you just have to hit the reel a bit harder. It’s certainly not a problem, just something to be aware of or you’ll end up having some fish come un-buttoned.

Joel

Hunter Blowers

Joel,

I’ve noticed in a couple of your episodes that you use a neon green line on your fly reels. What is the brand of this line? And what are the advantages to this line versus a fluorocarbon? Thanks!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Hi Hunter – The neon green is just backing. I usually fish with clear floro while on ice.

Joel

Tonka
    Minnesota

Hunter, I have posted this on other peoples posts about inline ice reels. Please check out this reel, it’s got a 3.7:1 gear ratio picking up 22″ of line. I own two both on Thorne Bro rods and I really like it. It hasn’t failed me yet, and you get 2 reel stems depending on how you like to hold the rod. If you’re a pistol grip/ traditional grip guy, put the longer one on, but if you like it close to the handle and palm it, they have another reel stem that’s short. The drag is the best I’ve had compared to the 13 Fishing Black Betty 6061, and the Eagle Claw. the BB and EC were both very “herky jerky”, I’ve owned these 3 inline reels and this is by far the nicest of them all. One last thing, the spool on the Frabill has a cover so your gloves or hand doesn’t get in the way like the older BB’s and the EC. As far as weight, the EC is the lightest, but not by much compared to the Frabill, and the Frabill is by far lighter than the BB. Hope this helps with what you’re looking for, good luck.

http://frabill.com/new-products/straight-line-371-reel.html

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Hey Joel, do you use the backing just as a supplement for the smaller 50yd spools of the Suffix flouro, or use it mostly as a spacer to up the crank/spool ratio so you can get more line in per crank?

btw, great shows this season so far, Joel! Always enjoy the info you guys share. I bought myself Contour Elite – WI and it just came yesterday, so I’ve been putzing around with it quite a bit!

Hunter Blowers

How do you go about putting line on your fly reels?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.