Flo-Fast gas cans/pumps

• ThunderLund78

I’ve been looking at these for a while and think I might pull the trigger this summer. We have an pontoon, fishing boat and Jet Ski and my family’s cabin and its an awkward and tough process to haul the 5 gallon cans out to the dock and get a good pour without spilling into the boat or lake. Any first hand experience or opinions on these? Seems like a good local company but have read mixed reviews. I think it’s gotta be better than what we’re currently doing. Pretty spendy, though.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I was interested in them and called them. Without a measuring/metering device on it, it’s not for me. I need to know how many gallons I have pumped (to the .1 gallon) – for mixing gas and oil.

They look convenient – just don’t overfill.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I started a similar topic last year. I will see if I can find it later–busy day.

We just ended up buying these from Menards. They pour well–I’m pretty happy with them.

Menards 5 gallon Utility Jug

Pat K
    Empire, MN

I had one for a few years and sold it last fall when I no longer had a need for diesel fuel. I bought a hand truck with pneumatic tires at a big box store for $80. and used a ratchet strap I already had rather than buying their $200. cart. My only complaint was the pump didn’t lock in place so it was awkward to pump and hold it in place at the same time.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

The telescopic draw tube is made right here in Minnesota. Have a few sticks on my desk right now. waytogo

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I started a similar topic last year. I will see if I can find it later–busy day.

We just ended up buying these from Menards. They pour well–I’m pretty happy with them.

Menards 5 gallon Utility Jug

ODDLY ENOUGH – not to be used with Gas. ????

This is not a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB and other official agencies. For Racing Fuel only, such as Nitromethane or Methanol, used in sanctioned motorsports. NOT for fuel used on highways.

snelson223
    Austin MN

A lot cheaper solution would be a “shake it siphon”. I use them all the time at home or when we go to Canada and have to haul gas in. It will empty 5 gallons pretty quick.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

ODDLY ENOUGH – not to be used with Gas. ????

This is not a portable fuel container as described by ASTM, EPA, ARB and other official agencies. For Racing Fuel only, such as Nitromethane or Methanol, used in sanctioned motorsports. NOT for fuel used on highways.

Yeah, I found that funny, too. I’m sure they’re just skirting the current regulations that make portable gas cans so expensive and such a PITA to use.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

A lot cheaper solution would be a “shake it siphon”. I use them all the time at home or when we go to Canada and have to haul gas in. It will empty 5 gallons pretty quick.

My neighbor and I both use siphon hoses too. It was impossible to get gas in the pontoon tank from a 5 gallon can or funnel. Set the can above the fill hole and it only takes a couple minutes to empty. I bought my siphon hose from Warners Dock but you can probably get them cheaper at Fleet or Menards.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Jaz cans and a shaker siphon are cheaper.
    jeggs.com for the cans
    menards or amazon for the hose.

Been using this for a few years, they hold up well.
    can extend the hose with a piece of copper pipe and same dia. hose.

Just remember to always keep the siphon with the can… dont ask me how I know.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot-2021-04-14-at-2.38.21-PM.png

2. Screenshot-2021-04-14-at-2.37.36-PM.png

Slipbob nick

The ones with the hand crank may be ok. I had bought one where you squeezed the handle multiple times to get it flowing. It was super slow and the other issue is it only worked if the can was higher than the tank you were filling. I was looking to fuel a boat in my garage and tractor. Didn’t work and took up a lot of space. Sold it at the garage sale and the guy was going to use it as a large gas tank for his boat.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

We’ve left our tritoon slipped for a weekend or vacation week in the past (usually trailered) with the in-laws Malibu slalom boat. We just sucked it up lugging a half dozen 6 gallon jugs to them. With a few guys each carrying 2, you’re set for the day. Some of the marinas on the river are absurd with what they get for non-ethanol fuel. On average, I’d say it’s a solid $1.75 beyond what you’d pay at a gas station for non-ethanol. If we burn ~25 gallons a day total x 3 or 4 days…it adds up and makes sense to carry. The jugs are essentially free as we’ve had them for years with the old spouts. I’ve used the flo-fast before and it’s helpful, but not worth the price in my opinion. As others have said it leaves fuel in the bottom.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I started with the jiggle siphon. I bought the end from Amazon and then got the tubing at Menards or a hardware store. It is so much better than the alternatives. I used to buy gas on the lake and lived with the premium price, but discovered that my engine ran far better when I bought gas at a regular station.

The problem then was pouring gas that flows so slowly out of the cans. Finally, when I got a pontoon, the filling location made pouring from a can exceptionally difficult.

A friend recommended the jiggle siphon and the improvement is incredible. I have a wagon at the lake that allows me to easily bring 4-5 5 gallon cans down to the lake. I pull the wagon out on my dock and use a jiggle stick siphon to transfer from the cans into the boat’s tank. It is faster than pouring and eliminates any spills.

I made my own only because I needed a longer tube than was available in preassembled units.

http://www.amazon.com/jiggle-siphon/s?k=jiggle+siphon

Jerry Hoffmann

Here’s the ultimate solution. An electric/motorized 50 gallon fuel caddy. It makes moving 50 gallons across rough terrain easy as the motor and brakes do all the hard work. It’s easy to load/unload using ramps and a truck even when full. I’ll never go back to doing it any other way. Saves me a ton of money, but more than that… it saves so much time, and I can’t buy any more of that…..

Attachments:
    1. p2_on_dock-1.jpg

dirtywater

Here’s the ultimate solution. An electric/motorized 50 gallon fuel caddy. It makes moving 50 gallons across rough terrain easy as the motor and brakes do all the hard work. It’s easy to load/unload using ramps and a truck even when full. I’ll never go back to doing it any other way. Saves me a ton of money, but more than that… it saves so much time, and I can’t buy any more of that…..

You spent $4500 on a fuel caddy and claim it saves you money? I can’t quite do the math on that one. It does look like a solid machine though.

Jerry Hoffmann

Very solid.

On average in recent years, I fill my boat up about twice a week. ~50 gallons each time. 6 month long season here in GA roughly (26 weeks).

2 x 50 x 26 = 2600 gallons a year.

My marina’s gas price, when I called them Saturday to check, was $5.65/gallon. My local gas stations price for comparable fuel was $3.25/gallon.

I saved $2.40/gallon. That’s $6,240/year.

So yeah it saves me a ton of money, but what it really saves is MY BACK…. and about 30 minutes of time every time I fill up.

dirtywater

If it wasn’t obvious from Jerry digging up two old posts to share this product…

Attachments:
    1. IMG_8078.jpeg

Jerry Hoffmann

If it wasn’t obvious from Jerry digging up two old posts to share this product…

I looked for info on sponsoring the site…. seems relevant…. I was unable to find any info though.

Yes. I created it. Yes, I’m working to turn it into a business that can support my family while manufacturing product here in the USA.

And yes, it’s the best solution I’ve ever seen for fueling boats, particularly if you have your own dock. That’s where I came up with it. As you can read about in the blog post if you’re interested.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.