Another Walleye Cheek Recipe

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Since walleyes are the most famed fish in the Midwest, I thought I would post a recipe to help get rid of the over abundance of walleye cheeks in freezers across the America.

Always thaw cheeks in your refrigerator. Using water will break the tissue cells and cause a lack of flavor.

Once thawed, pat dry.

Cover the bottom of the frying pan with olive oil. No need to waste your money on “extra virgin” oil, these are only walleye cheeks.

Heat oil to 375.

Pat cheeks dry of extra moisture, once finished with the FW then do the same with the walleye cheeks.

Coat cheeks* with 10,000 Lakes Seasoned Fish Coating Mix<< and carefully place into oil.

Watch the edges of the cheeks and when they start turning a golden brown turn once.

When finish garnish with your favorite malt beverage and enjoy!

I think you’ll find this fish coating a welcome change to you’re standard breading or batter AND if you place an order this weekend, you’ll receive a <b>15% discount on your total order!</b>

As stated on Sturdiwheat’s website, offer ends Monday, July 19th 2010.

*If you have a hard time catching walleyes with cheeks this large, Alaskan pollock is a good substitute.

Chris
    Rochester, MN

I’m getting really good at being able to call whether or not a post was written by Brian when looking at the title. I called it on this one too

I got an error when I clicked on the link but the coating is easy enough to find – and that picture looks really tasty! I think I’ll be going to a Hyvee here in Rochester to pick some up.

Thanks…

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Not too hard to pick them out is it Chris?

Thanks for the heads up on the broken link.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Pat cheeks dry of extra moisture, once finished with the FW the do the same with the walleye cheeks.

Now….did you make the FW cry or sigh?

Pancakes
    Bay City, WI

</font>

<font class=”small”>Quote:</font><hr />Since walleyes are the most famed fish in the Midwest, I thought I would post a recipe to help get rid of the over abundance of walleye cheeks in freezers across the America. Always thaw cheeks in your refrigerator. Using water will break the tissue cells and cause a lack of flavor.Once thawed, pat dry.Cover the bottom of the frying pan with olive oil. No need to waste your money on “extra virgin” oil, these are only walleye cheeks.Heat oil to 375.Pat cheeks dry of extra moisture, once finished with the FW then do the same with the walleye cheeks.Coat cheeks* with 10,000 Lakes Seasoned Fish Coating Mix<< and carefully place into oil.Watch the edges of the cheeks and when they start turning a golden brown turn once.When finish garnish with your favorite malt beverage and enjoy!I think you’ll find this fish coating a welcome change to you’re standard breading or batter AND if you place an order this weekend, you’ll receive a <b>15% discount on your total order!</b>As stated on Sturdiwheat’s website, offer ends Monday, July 19th 2010.*If you have a hard time catching walleyes with cheeks this large, Alaskan pollock is a good substitute. <hr />

<font class=”post”>Seriously–a cheek! How big was the whole fish?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

I would imagine selective harvest gets a little tough when you are using 10″ bullheads as bait.

dd

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

I would imagine selective harvest gets a little tough when you are using 10″ bullheads as bait.

dd

Not really Joel. Have to remember we just cut out the cheeks then release the walleye to be caught again another day.
    So if you ever catch a cheekless 8+ pound walleye…you’ll know it was caught at least once before. Kinda like the tagging the DNR does.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

Quote:

dd

Not really Joel. Have to remember we just cut out the cheeks then release the walleye to be caught again another day.
    So if you ever catch a cheekless 8+ pound walleye…you’ll know it was caught at least once before. Kinda like the tagging the DNR does.

That explains a few things about pool 4 walleyes.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Since the bite is taking off out of Everts. Stop into the bait shop and check out the line of Sturdiwheat products.

It works good on other parts of the fish too.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It’s that time of year folks!

Save the CHEEKS!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Bump for the walleye recipe. Num num!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Since walleyes are the most famed fish in the Midwest, I thought
    Pat cheeks dry of extra moisture, once finished with the FW the do the same with the walleye cheeks.

I had to read this part 2-3 times to get your meaning. rotflol

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Ralph,
    I’ve been on this site a while and have never met anyone here directly and yet many I know. toast
    Right when I started to read the line that you had quoted, I knew what I was about too read. peace

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

It was a slow day back in 2010. crazy

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

<font class=”small”>Quote:</font>
    <hr>I would imagine selective harvest gets a little tough when you are using 10″ bullheads as bait.

dd

<hr>

<font class=”post”></font>
    <font class=”post”>
    Not really Joel. Have to remember we just cut out the cheeks then release the walleye to be caught again another day. So if you ever catch a cheekless 8+ pound walleye…you’ll know it was caught at least once before. Kinda like the tagging the DNR does.

</font><font class=”post”> </font>

rotflol rotflol

targaman
    Inactive
    Wilton, WI

Would that recipe work for musky cheeks as well? I tried a different recipe for largie cheeks but I’ll have to try this one on the largies next time. Or was it smallie cheeks I tried it on sheesh can’t remember! Has anybody ever tried pickling pike cheeks?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

What is the limit in mn for walleye cheeks anyway?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Targamoment, I’ve tried it on muskies over 50 inches and it works great. I’m not so sure on smaller ones…but if you get some photo’s, please share.

Biggillski, since we aren’t keeping the fish, I’m thinking there really isn’t a limit. But in case I wouldn’t have more then 12 in possession for MN and 24 for WI border waters.

tongue

WarEagle

Can someone get me a video on how to remove a walleye cheek?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

To my friends and friends I haven’t met yet at Lake State Fishing…

I think this thread makes it very clear that it was made tongue in cheek << clever eh?

However if you are a person that takes this post seriously, I have the bridge in Red Wing for sale. It needs to be remove by next summer to make way for the new bridge. wave

PS Please stop calling the DNR. It was only funny for the first 5-6 calls.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I may live to regret this but I put a good plug in for BK over there! coffee coffee doah

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Na…you have the union to back you up. ;)

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

In case any other’s are wondering why BK rebooted this thread is because I have found he has been scavenging around in fish cleaning houses in search of cheeks. Ah..oh, we call them walleye fingers now so’s to not raise any eyebrows all over again. *Note-no living walleyes were used for this display. (Evidently there was quite a back story and big uproar on that “other forum”)

Attachments:
    1. walleyecheek.jpg

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Oh boy…here we go!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Oh boy…here we go!

Don’t worry BK, it’s a ghost town over there now! Still one of the funnier “misunderstandings” I’ve seen rotflol

deertracker

Is there a link to that thread?
    DT

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.