Venison Roast?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Any good recipes or cooking tips for a venison roast?

Thanks.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

grill until cooked to rare, done.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Really. Do you do anything to prep it? Was concerned about it drying out. Guess that is the way we cook the rest of our venison.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

Not an exact recipe but just an idea to go off of. Maybe try some ketchup, hoisin (Asian bbq style sauce), root beer into a crock pot.

Another good idea to do with a tougher cut of meat is to smoke it. I always think low and slow barbeque style with a roast or shoulder. I worked at a bbq joint for a few years and stole a few tricks from the trade.

Im not much of a venison fan but would be interested how these techniques would turn out.

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

I would think that grilling this cut of meat would be considerably tougher than to grill a steak… unless you left one side of the roast with a chunk of fat on it like a tri-tip beef roast. then you could grill it on the fat chunk and then discard the fat. just my opinion as a self proclaimed grill master

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

Really. Do you do anything to prep it? Was concerned about it drying out. Guess that is the way we cook the rest of our venison.

Wrap it in thick cut bacon of your liking. Don’t be too werry of flame ups, that is where the flavor kicks in! That is how I treat my back straps cut 3 to 4 inches long. Total flame and rotate till all sides of the bacon are done to my liking and then close the lid to put table ware on with the fixings and pull the logs and serve!! Total YUM!

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I guess it depends on which roast you are talking about but I’ve never had an issue with it drying out. The main thing with a lean cut of meat is to not overcook it. I prefer it plain but wife will inject BBQ in it sometimes or wrap it with bacon. I typically just toss it on the grill as is, no prep. I cook indirectly with a medium heat.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’d brown that puppy up a bit in olive oil in a roaster, add some sliced onion, some peeled potatoes, some peeled carrots, a quartered apple, 1 cup of beef broth and cover and put it in the oven at 325 for an hour and a half. Toss the apple and onions, drain the pan juices for gravy and have at it.

No strong or game tastes, tender as tender can be, and a full meal to boot.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

cooked our last venison roast in the crock pot last week.
    added taters, carrots, bell pepper and onions from the garden, pour in a quart of home-canned tomatoes w/juice, add s&p, thyme and a couple bay leaves, let er go for 10-12 hours …

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I cut most of my roasts up into small pieces then use the edge of a small plate to beat/flatten/tenderize those pieces. I then coat with anything (favorite fish breading will do) then deep fry. Every piece is the same excellent hunk of veni-candy. Leftovers are excellent cold as well.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

here’s a fail proof recipie:

into large roasting pan add the venison roast which has been seared in a screaming hot cast iron pan. Add a can of beef broth, can french onion soup, and a splash of red wine. After this has cooked on high for 45 minutes, turn crock pot down to low setting and add one of the neighbors chickens. Continue on low setting for 3 more hours or till you hear a knock at the front door.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Ill have to give that one a try.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

I’d brown that puppy up a bit in olive oil in a roaster, add some sliced onion, some peeled potatoes, some peeled carrots, a quartered apple, 1 cup of beef broth and cover and put it in the oven at 325 for an hour and a half. Toss the apple and onions, drain the pan juices for gravy and have at it.

Was wondering if anyone added apples to their roasts.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

One apple is all that’s needed Mike. Doesn’t matter the variety but a harder apple is easier to handle after roasting and its time to get it gone from the pan.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The wife wrapped the roast in bacon tonight and baked it until medium rare. Very good.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

The wife wrapped the roast in bacon tonight and baked it until medium rare. Very good.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Mike:

If everyone cooked most of their game to med rare, they would marvel at how good all of it tastes!!! IMHO, it looks a bit more rare that med rare, but I am telling you as long as its warm through, I am good with that!!!

Mark

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Would much rather have it a little under cooked than over.

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

Tom
    That is exactly how i have always fixed mine. And as you say. It’s so tender and moist. Yum Yum As good as any beef

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Was wondering if anyone added apples to their roasts.

My dad always added an Apple to his Venison Roasts, adds moisture and takes out some of the game taste.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

My dad always added an Apple to his Venison Roasts, adds moisture and takes out some of the game taste.

IMO that gamey taste is the unique flavor of venison, I think it’s almost like a hint of lamb..yumm!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.