Morel Virgin

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was the luck recipient of a over stuffed baggie of Morels yesterday.

I’ve never ate one much less cooked one. The instructions were to fry them in butter with a hint of garlic salt.

My question is, when are they done?

I plan on having them with my marinaded in itailian dressing walleye cheeks tonight. Any help is appreciated.

stuart
    Mn.

They shrink to about a third of thier size. If they look done they are done.

cptyack
    Rosemount, mn

I would not use garlic salt, but garlic powder or fresh garlic.

cut in half and wash with cool water, let sit on folded towel to slightly dry.

bring butter and garlic, or onions to simmer at mushrooms
    toss and cook till they are pretty limp. I like to add a dash of wochsteshire, or red wine at the end, put on steak or eat by themselves.

You can also lightly flower them before doing this as well but you would want to use smaller batches and higher heat

-jack

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

put on steak or eat by themselves.

No walleye cheeks?

Thanks guys!

You too Stuart!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

put on steak or eat by themselves.

No walleye cheeks?

Thanks guys!

You too Stuart!

Oh they’re good with walleye too!!! First time I had ’em was a guy’s night in and that was the menu, canadian ‘eye and morels and !!!

If you are sauteing in butter, they will turn slightly brown and they are done.

Mark

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I like them best if you just put them in the pan on medium heat, let the water come out of them and drain that off, and keep it (makes good soup stock or to make rice with or something). Then put the butter in the pan and saute for a few minutes. Add 10lb walleye cheeks and you’re good to go. Prior to doing anything cut the morels in half and soak them in salt water and wash them thoroughly. Bugs love to live in them and dirt doesn’t taste really all that good.

Ron Johnsen
    Platteville wi

Bk for real you never have ate morels if there gray i like them crunchy if white or yellow its just how soft you think you’ll like them i eat to big fry pans full pls a big steak yum yum

clwuensch
    Rockland, Wi

Brian,
    They are even good with venison baloney!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

No sir, never had one.

You guys are getting a little complicated for me…baloney?

No, the walleye cheeks have been tenderizing for the last two weeks in the frig. Should have a little flavor by now.

Thanks again. I’ll let know know how they turn out.

cougareye
    Hudson, WI

This post uses the words shrinkage and limp far too often!!

BK is at the helm, no?

stuwest
    Elmwood, WI

BK, this is WAY too difficult a task to describe over the internet. I think you should bring them over to my house and I will SHOW you how it is done. For someone who has never done this before, it’s likely you will ruin them and never forgive yourself. I am willing to help you with this extremely delicate task.

I would bring the cheeks too. They are not quite as good as venison chops, but it will be close enuf…

Now, what time should I expect you??

FWIW, I like them in crushed fresh garlic, sauteed…

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

I’ve never ate one much less cooked one. The instructions were to fry them in butter with a hint of garlic salt.

Ditto

Next time you find an extra bag

chomps
    Sioux City IA

only two ways for me. If a side with fried fish, just eggwash and saltine crackers crushed with ground pepper and cook in butter till brown.

If you are making a steak or chop sauce, course chop mushrooms, add a half white onion chopped fine to a pan with a good spoonful of butter, salt and pepper, cook till almost all moisture is cooked out, add a few good shakes of steak sauce and some cream, cook till it’s as thick as you like it, reseason if you need it, put over a medium sirloin or t-bone and you are set.

cat dude
    Arlington, MN

How did you like the morels BK?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.