Fishing shows are getting tough to watch

• walleyevision

Is it just me or are more and more fishing shows becoming unwatchable as all they do is stare at their livescope? It is amazing technology, but I don’t need to see video after video of guys looking at screens. I should clarify that I’m talking about YouTube videos, specifically walleye guys such as Tom Boley and Clayton Schick. I feel pre-live imaging there was more emphasis on how and where to find fish, but now it just “here they are, watch me catch them”. Don’t get me wrong, I really like those two guys, but it’s becoming less educational.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

It’s all about the views. It’s the content people of YouTube seem to want.

Charles

Ben Milliken I know I know but he shows his live scope and explains how he is catching them.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I think a lot of people are pushing out the “catch” content. And keeping the actual breakdown of what they were doing behind a paywall of some sort. Which I understand. The best ones for me are them catching fish then actually taking the time to show a lake map of what areas they were targeting and other factors.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I feel pre-live imaging there was more emphasis on how and where to find fish, but now it just “here they are, watch me catch them

Still the same. Just using more modern technology to find fish. The catching part is still the same. But I get your point.

Gitchi Gummi

ya watching people stare at a screen to target fish just doesn’t do it for me. that and the cramming down our throats of whatever sponsor product they’re trying to promote makes it unwatchable

I wish there was a “hunting public” equivalent for fishing. the THP guys are awesome at what they do and how they make content

ThunderLund78

It’s not much for Walleye content but watch a few videos from NDYakAngler to restore your faith in fishing videos. Just a dude in his kayak fishing peaceful MN and ND waters and putting the hurt on mostly bass, but he dedicates some time to big pike, musky and even crappie. Almost zero electronics on the show. He does have like a 10 yr old single mode, low-res depth finder but half the episodes it’s not even on the mount. He’s the opposite of every other youtube fisherman – he does have sponsors but he very subtly works them in without making it a commercial and NEVER says “SMASH THAT “SUBSCRIBE” BUTTON” let alone EVER asks anyone to subscribe, his content speaks for itself.

Gitchi Gummi

thanks for the suggestion ThunderLund. I’ll definitely check out his channel

walleyevision

It’s not much for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Walleye content but watch a few videos from NDYakAngler to restore your faith in fishing videos. Just a dude in his kayak fishing peaceful MN and ND waters and putting the hurt on mostly bass, but he dedicates some time to big pike, musky and even crappie. Almost zero electronics on the show. He does have like a 10 yr old single mode, low-res depth finder but half the episodes it’s not even on the mount. He’s the opposite of every other youtube fisherman – he does have sponsors but he very subtly works them in without making it a commercial and NEVER says “SMASH THAT “SUBSCRIBE” BUTTON” let alone EVER asks anyone to subscribe, his content speaks for itself.

Can definitely vouch for this…his delivery and tone are so relaxing and he’s a great stick too

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

Yall need to check out marling baits. I dont even make baits.

isu22andy

Boley was good before he made the app . Now he’s all about selling the app . I don’t care for the live imaging crap . I believe behind 75 percent of good youtuber and fishing guides they have a network of people telling them where how and when .

For my catfish guys . River certified and pig patrol put out pretty average joe fishing videos .

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

I think a lot of people are pushing out the “catch” content. And keeping the actual breakdown of what they were doing behind a paywall of some sort. Which I understand.

Boley was good before he made the app . Now he’s all about selling the app .

I’m seeing the same thing and I don’t blame those guys one bit. Gotta make a living somehow. That said, for a period of time I never missed a Boley video and learned a ton from him. Nowadays I barely ever watch unless I’m bored. If they’re not explaining a strategy and why they’ve chosen the technique, I just can’t watch. The FFS doesn’t bother me. Again, if they’re explaining how and why they’re using it. And yes, I’m too cheap to pay for the apps.

tim hurley

I too am tired of all the livescope stuff-If you are just getting into SI, the older Boley vids are very good. T. Boley also has a vid where he says to never believe all the ‘magic’ lure jive talk. (‘jive talk’ google that one kids)

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Don’t watch. Just go fishing! hahaha

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Unless it’s a video of someone fishing P4, I refuse to watch it. Haven’t watched in years. Same shhh different pile.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I am in the crowd that finds it boring to watch too. All the northern smallmouth tourneys this time of year are the same. Drop shotting while watching screens on deeper offshore structure. Not my thing.

The ND yak angler videos aren’t bad. Sam Sobi isn’t bad either but he can be a little intense sometimes.

queenswake
    NULL

I’ve never really watched fishing TV shows or Youtube videos to learn techniques. For me, it’s all about just the experience of being out there when I can’t be out there myself. Some of them really capture the essence of the things I get out of the sport. The excitement of a fish on the line, being out fishing with family, coming across a loon pair, having a fish fry.

Pitter patter

Angler x offers informative YouTube vids on upper Mississippi, all species

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Nobody can even get close to the entertainment value provided by Bill Dance blooper reels.

Lou W

The last fishing show I watched was called “the flying fisherman” that was a looong time ago.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

IDO had a great formula and I am missing the show. I get others might not be able to do the weekly bite update. But should be able to follow the rest of the show formula.

ThunderLund78

I’ve never really watched fishing TV shows or Youtube videos to learn techniques. For me, it’s all about just the experience of being out there when I can’t be out there myself. Some of them really capture the essence of the things I get out of the sport. The excitement of a fish on the line, being out fishing with family, coming across a loon pair, having a fish fry.

Agree with this 100% – I watch fishing videos on YouTube, usually on the weekends with my morning coffee as a form of escapism. Besides NDYakAngler – which I watch for the peaceful vibes and cool top water footage, I find myself watching a lot of Saltwater videos, especially in the winter. FishaHolic and Landshark are my two favorite.

ThunderLund78

I still tune into Gillespie every now and then for a chuckle, as well. The guy’s just a living cartoon. I mainly watch to see the non-verbal queues from his guests. They’re normally guides or resort owners that are getting publicity so they have to play it friendly but you can tell when they’re getting fed-up.

big_g
    Isle, MN

It was the same when the ice flashers first came out… “see that mark ? that’s a bigger fish” Staring at a color circle spinning for a half hour, while he pulled in slabs. SI will run its course too.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.