Fishing Opener – Go or No Go?

• Paul Codner

I may go down to the landing and watch the mess. That is always good for a laugh or two.

mnfisherman18

I am headed to the family cabin tomorrow evening. Putting the dock in & Crappie fishing on Friday, and fishing walleyes through the weekend. Opener is considered a holiday in my family.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Most of our group is still getting together. Except for the older guys in our group. They’re sitting this year out.

Things will be very different this year though.

*No bean bag tournament.
    *No passing around the bottle.
    *No sitting shoulder-to-shoulder around the fire.
    *No playing cards
    *Everyone is driving to the lake separately.
    *Less people in each boat to make sure we stay 6 feet apart.
    *Separate camper/fish house for each household.
    *No one will be coming in my house.

With all of these precautions the chances of spreading any germs is next to none. We still plan on having a great time and following all the rules.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I may go down to the landing and watch the mess. That is always good for a laugh or two.

Been reading and hearing about this for 40 years. Never saw anybody actually do it.

nu98walleye

Plans haven’t changed. Staying at a buddies cabin in otter tail county. Will do our best to social distance when possible. Besides the bait shop will not need to enter any gas stations/grocery stores.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I’ve been fishing right along, mainly by myself when at the river casting from shore and marina docks but also have been sharing a boat with a retired buddy but we stay in opposite ends of the boat on the water, on separate sides out of the water and drive separately. Both of us have had very infrequent and limited family contact and pretty much work in the yards/gardens so we feel safe. He has a vacation place and is ditching the plans this year. We have our place in Two Harbors and plan to go there during the week to mow and cast a few times on the breakwater but won’t be there on weekends when others who work may opt for some time up there.

Things are crazy on the water this year already so for me it on early, real early, and off early so I don’t have to put up with dolts and these seem to be in abundance.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

The DNR issued guidance for the open of fishing. It reads “Anglers should fish as close to home as possible. No overnight stays and no further than one can go to and from on a single tank of fuel.”

I always thought the “close to home” meant everything under the sun to anglers but now there’s at least some clarity on this. It will obviously vary based on the towing vehicle.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Go for us. Opening on Mille Lacs as always. Staying at my cabin and fishing with brother and dog. Keeping it low key. Bringing all food and bevs. Have private access to lake. Only outside contact I expect will be with the DNR checking licenses.

Hoping the cool weather keeps the traffic down.

Good Luck everyone!

-J.

beardly
    Hastings, Mn

Our bwca trip got cancelled only due to the fact of the Forest Service keeping it closed. Still going to be up in that area fishing though.

FryDog62

In the last 10 years for opener, I have focused on smaller lakes near the metro that don’t have any or much of a walleye population. I will go with one roommate but not more than that.

It’s usually a quiet weekend for me… I like people but not crowds. Big lakes with lots of walleyes and boats on Opener are just something I decided to avoid and find it much more enjoyable now..

David Swenson

Our plans improved. Was going to go up to Duluth and fish the St. Louis River. Got a deal over the weekend on a cabin up on Crane, so it’s Crane, Sandpoint, Namakan, Little Vermilion and Kab for us. Crappies and Walleyes from Friday to Tuesday. Taking my boys up, who have just finished finals. Going to be chilly but high pressure should allow for excellent fishing. Good luck everyone.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Why would you want to go fishing??? jester

Ice Cap

Not changing any of my plans. May include touching my face. Maybe even someone else’s! hah

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Thinking I may skip the boat this year to avoid the launches and spend some time in the kayak instead.

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

Well, with the updated forecast of wind, I’ll be skipping it this year due to my back. First time I can remember not going out opening weekend.

I am so over 2020 (and 2019).

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Well, with the updated forecast of wind, I’ll be skipping it this year due to my back. First time I can remember not going out opening weekend.

I am so over 2020 (and 2019).

whats the wind forecast? last i saw was 5-8mph

Weekender
    Southcentral MN

SSW 10-20mph. I was seeing 5-10 the last few days, but today they say 10-20 for my area. I had recent back surgery, and don’t want to be rocking in a boat and skipping across waves. The lake I want to hit is hardly fished ever, but the wind isn’t favorable.

Maybe next week.

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.