Fishing Mille Lacs on Opener Week……

• joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

I think I am going to take the family fishing a few days on Mille Lacs the week following opener. How would you fish it for walleyes if you couldn’t use a lindy rig or troll cranks? tactic and general area/substrate would be great. Looking forward to having a little furlough fun with the family.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Pitching/dragging jigs with minnows or plastics on rocks and sand near the first break. Then power corking bobbers on rocks. Those would be #3 and #4 on my list though since you said no Lindy’s or Cranks.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Pitching/dragging jigs with minnows or plastics on rocks and sand near the first break. Then power corking bobbers on rocks. Those would be #3 and #4 on my list though since you said no Lindy’s or Cranks.

Those are at the top of my list too. I want to spend more time out of the normal comfort zone and tactics my boys enjoy more. thanks BigWorm

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

A green or orange 1/8th oz jig, tip it with a medium leech. Pitch or drag the sand/gravel north/east corner. Like from Wilderness over to Red Door. Start in 10-12 foot of water. Move deeper on calm days, shallower on windy days. waytogo

-J.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

A jig and a minnow pitched or drifted and bobber fish from 7-10 PM.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’d slip bobber fish with a leech if I had children with. The evening around sunset would be the most consistent fishing unless you get a windy or cloudy daytime bite.

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Thanks for the replys. We’ll be doing a mix of everything. My wife loves dragging lindy’s in the sand. My 13 year old likes to cast jigs and cranks and my 10 year old wants to see that bobber disappear. I enjoy all of it. lets hope for some decent weather.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

With 4 people I’d slip bobber. We did that last year same weekend you are going and had a blast.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Hey Joe i’ll let the others help with presentation. However one well kept secrete of Mille Lacs is those darn Walleyes will not bite a hook owned by a Packer avatar. Might wanna change it out. rotflol

joe-winter
    St. Peter, MN

Hey Joe i’ll let the others help with presentation. However one well kept secrete of Mille Lacs is those darn <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Walleyes will not bite a hook owned by a Packer avatar. Might wanna change it out. rotflol

I’ll cut you a deal Dutchy….. I’ll agree to change my avatar…… The day you get the nets out of Mille Lacs will be the day I take the hat off that’s in my avatar. chased

The_Bladepuller
    South end

It would be a huge improvement if the only nets in ML were the ML Band’s.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

What other tactics will you use? I always wanted to troll at night on opener like we used to in the fall. Water be little to cold for leaches?

The_Bladepuller
    South end

As of 1030 Sat the most boats I have seen out the window is……………………………………2.

I remember when there would be hundreds and at night it would look like a small city with all the lights. This was even after the opening weekend night ban.
    Granted the weather hurts. I would guess only 20% of the local docks are in. Mine isn’t.

This is economic siege warfare. If you care about the area please help the local places that offer takeout. When there are only a few places left the offers to them from the Band will be such that the owners will not be able to resist.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Bladepuller I agree, however the locals need to step up with huge banners outside their building stating they offer takeout with a phone number. I drove through Wahkon the other day and couldn’t tell if the bars were doing food or not. If they were I certainly (as a tourist) wouldn’t stop to search for a number to call for service. They need that prominently displayed.

The_Bladepuller
    South end

I hear you Dutch.
    Wahkon Inn, aka as Tommy’s by locals as always been the “Townie” bar and every one knew he was open.
    BTW, there were, I believe the # was > 200, free Easter dinners taken out. They were paid for by a local couple. The Mille Lacs Messenger had the story.
    Mugg’s, aka Robb’s, has akways been the Izatys crowd & he is just opening today for take out.
    Tourists? Sorry man but they haven’t been seen since ice fishing closed.
    Seriously dead for months.

Ripjiggen

Well you must be at the wrong end of the lake. I am on the lake and launches are full and boats everywhere up north…bite not to shabby either.

Ripjiggen

The blizzard could end at anytime now too. Yuck

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Great morning on the north end sand. But yeah, the wet snow has us back at the cabin Drying off and warming up.

-J.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Brother Todd’s 21 inch smallie before snow.

-J

Attachments:
    1. C3B14419-5645-45AF-AC64-6C9E0844AEF2.jpeg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Nice Smallie, fishing for them or Walleye?

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

Hope I see that gal in June! Wow

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Blizzard conditions on the big pond today!

Walleyepro20

Blizzard conditions on the BIG POND lol wasn’t windy LMAO greenhorns little cold and snow LMAO

fishking22

How was the bite this weekend? Mille lacs newb when it comes to open water fishing there. What depth were you guys finding them in during day time with this cold weather? Plan on getting their early Monday morning and tryin my hand all day.

drewper1

Anyone know what is the temperature of the water is?

Have the walleyes spawned out yet?

Thank you,

Drew

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

47-48 today. All of our fish came on jigs/minnows in 8-10 fow.

-J.

SurlyFisher

Hi all, been lurking here all winter picking up tidbits. Finally signed up now that I’m on the water and have some questions that can be answered. Are any restaurants open on the lake for take-out during the week? Want to help support any of the local spots with some food for me and my boys. Cheers!

mojogunter

I thought I saw Hunters is open for take out. That may be only weekends. The west side looked pretty dead when I drove through on Sunday afternoon for take out, but I wasn’t really looking.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.