Fishing Ledges/Drop Offs

• Kyle Wills

Hey guys,

Looking for some insight here when walleye fishing drop offs. Is it best to follow the ledge (yellow line) and cast down the drop off, bringing whatever we are using up the drop off? Or is it better to follow the base of the drop off (red line) and cast up the drop off?

I personally feel that following the ledge would make the most sense and cast into the drop off. Keeping the lure closer to the bottom as you bring it closer to the boat.

Time of year will be first weekend of June. Surface temps currently are 54-56 degrees in that area.

Attachments:
    1. Casting.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I typically always follow the bottom edge. Mainly because I want to be able to cast on top. If my boat was on top I might spook the fish.

I also like pulling my baits down a ledge rather than up. It gives a jig more hang time with fewer cranks on the reel. At times you won’t even need to crank.

That’s just the way I usually do it, you could find my doing the opposite if the conditions are right.

Kyle Wills

I’d like to step this question up a level if you don’t mind…What’s the wind direction? If this pic is North up and wind is blowing out of the SW, how would you fish it?

North is up in this photo. The entire lake is like this. 20-300 ft of shallow flat depending on where you go and then sharp drop offs. Wind direction would be taken into consideration as to what part of the lake we would concentrate on.

My main concern is what side of the drop off should you attack from? Maybe wind direction plays into that, but I figured wind direction would just play into what area of the lake we concentrate on and not so much what side of the drop off, but I could very well be wrong assuming that.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’d like to step this question up a level if you don’t mind…What’s the wind direction? If this pic is North up and wind is blowing out of the SW, how would you fish it?

I’d probably still start by being on the bottom edge casting up onto the ledge.

If the wind is blowing up onto the structure, I’ll always anchor out deep and cast down wind.

If the is blowing off the ledge, I’d probably pick a different structure with the wind blowing right onto it.

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

It depends,
    I would use the electronics to determine where the fish were.
    Optimally, the fish would be feeding on top of the break,
    but depending on time of day and light conditions,
    they may be in a negative mode and be at the bottom of the drops.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

This time of year fish the flats. Worry about ledges when fish transition off them.

Charles

This time of year fish the flats. Worry about ledges when fish transition off them.

So fish the top of the point?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Everywhere the lines are NOT bunched up. If negative mood start poking around on the mini flats on the breaks.

Not very often I personally find fish on the side of a steep drop. Drop of 2-4′ for sure, but not a full out drop into the abyss. Not much reason for eyes to concentrate on those.

Kyle Wills

Everywhere the lines are NOT bunched up. If negative mood start poking around on the mini flats on the breaks.

Not very often I personally find fish on the side of a steep drop. Drop of 2-4′ for sure, but not a full out drop into the abyss. Not much reason for eyes to concentrate on those.

When you talk about the Mini Flats, are you talking about something like this?

Attachments:
    1. Mini_Flat.jpg

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Green is the active zone and where I always start. Find a little greenery or rock/gravel your in business. Have caught many a limits off these flats middle of the day long lining jigs/lindys through just a little weeds on very reported “night bite” lakes. Usually the key is snaking your presentation through slowly, methodically, and away from boat.

Yellow is where ill move after caught all the fish from green grin , or when conditions call for a more negative mood. No coincidence the bites from top of flats will rip your rod out your hands at times, and those on the breaks will feel like mush.

And yes, your mark would be what I consider a mini flat, gives just a little something for fish to hang out on. Different times of year and water temps everything can change.

Attachments:
    1. Mini_Flat-1.jpg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

The problem with finding those flat areas is finding hem without being choked out with weeds. Depends on your lake.

For the past week in my area I’m finding fish on the breaks and absolutely hammering rippin raps. Sometimes on the bottom edge. If they’re not ripping the rod out of your hand they’re grabbing it and running in about 20′. Making hard to get a good hook set.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3863.jpg

2. IMG_3880.jpg

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Kyle, Do you deer hunt, and if so, are you consistent in seeing deer? To most, this is a crazy question when talking about drop offs. However, most people don’t “see” whats going on beneath the water line. Visualize how deer would migrate through that terrain, and you’ll understand how fish relate to it

Kyle Wills

Kyle, Do you deer hunt, and if so, are you consistent in seeing deer? To most, this is a crazy question when talking about drop offs. However, most people don’t “see” whats going on beneath the water line. Visualize how deer would migrate through that terrain, and you’ll understand how fish relate to it

Hey Randy, yes I do hunt deer. Interesting question, but I get where you are going. I’d love to hear more what you have to say about it. PM me if you want.

Charles

I really need to get a GPS depth finder so I can sit on spots better, Randy that question does make totally sense if you put it that way.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Kyle, I was about 11 or 12 years old when one of my Dad’s uncles pulled over on the side of the road and pointed out all the subtle dips and valleys through a field. He went on to explain how deer and coyotes relate to certain elevation changes and why /how weather influences where they travel at….and how they hunt/feed along the way. He also added that it was the same as fishing structure lines in a lake. Took about another 15 years for that to actually sink in through my thick skull.

Now its a bit hard to explain to people how I see things. Most look at a lake map and see topo lines. I see it like 3D and immediately relate the grade to places I hunt….almost like there is no water in the lake.

I very seldom EVER see deer in the middle of a hillside going parallel with a topo line – and the same for bass, pike, walleyes, musky. General rule is Top / Bottom / 1/3 up or 1/3 down. Critters are lazy. Predators/Gatherers want to exert the least amount of energy for the best gain in food source.

Crappy weather, wrong moon phase,….worst of conditions – Look deep

Best case scenario with everything in perfect conditions – go top side and into the flat above

Want to ambush them while traveling to get food? Look for the funnel or saddles that work as their road from the “bedding areas” to the food source.

James Holst did an awesome job in discussing inside/outside turns that related to drop offs in a show from early this season. I suggest you do a rewind and check it out. The light bulb should get a little brighter waytogo

Josh Bothum

Awesome insight Randy… I’m going to check that link out. I like the way you related the hunting zones into fishing, very insightful and the 1st time I’ve heard it explained that way!

Kyle Wills

Kyle, I was about 11 or 12 years old when one of my Dad’s uncles pulled over on the side of the road and pointed out all the subtle dips and valleys through a field. He went on to explain how deer and coyotes relate to certain elevation changes and why /how weather influences where they travel at….and how they hunt/feed along the way. He also added that it was the same as fishing structure lines in a lake. Took about another 15 years for that to actually sink in through my thick skull.

Now its a bit hard to explain to people how I see things. Most look at a lake map and see topo lines. I see it like 3D and immediately relate the grade to places I hunt….almost like there is no water in the lake.

I very seldom EVER see deer in the middle of a hillside going parallel with a topo line – and the same for bass, pike, walleyes, musky. General rule is Top / Bottom / 1/3 up or 1/3 down. Critters are lazy. Predators/Gatherers want to exert the least amount of energy for the best gain in food source.

Crappy weather, wrong moon phase,….worst of conditions – Look deep

Best case scenario with everything in perfect conditions – go top side and into the flat above

Want to ambush them while traveling to get food? Look for the funnel or saddles that work as their road from the “bedding areas” to the food source.

James Holst did an awesome job in discussing inside/outside turns that related to drop offs in a show from early this season. I suggest you do a rewind and check it out. The light bulb should get a little brighter waytogo

Randy, I like the explanation and makes perfect sense. On a small scale, I think this is what you mean. Shallow flats/Top 1/3 are in Green and Deep flat/bottom 1/3 are in Red with the areas in between the yellow lines being inside bends and points (i.e. travel corridors/funnels). Let me know if that’s what you meant.

Attachments:
    1. Travel-and-Flatts.jpg

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.