Fish n ski boats

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Reattas are simply out of the price range ballpark, unless i find ine from the 80s. doah Nice boats though.

Will keep options open, but most opinions here swing me away from those glastron type boats, thought if they were decent to fish out of with a few mods why not, but they seem pretty bad all around.

When time comes to I think it’s going to come down whether I can find a bass boat type similar to the SL190, or a sportfish or similar, with enough ponies on the back to handle the family. Problem I see is many of those bigger 18-19′ boats would be underpowered with many of the motors they got on. I’m not a HP guy by no means, but with a load it still needs to haul butt. That’s what seems attractive with the bass fish n ski types, they got alot of HP, but then lack the storage.

Its a compromise of all sorts, defentiely got a better handle on what I’d be getting into down the road. Thanks for all replies!

Pete S

You might want to look at the Stratos 486. 18’6 with a wide beam and stable ride. Not a big water boat but it gets up on plane nice and quick when pulling skiers/tubers. Moderately priced as well.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

You might want to look at the Stratos 486. 18’6 with a wide beam and stable ride. Not a big water boat but it gets up on plane nice and quick when pulling skiers/tubers. Moderately priced as well.

Very similar boat to the Skeeter, and from what I pull up online many of these type boats run the Yamaha Vmax. Really interested to see one in person now.

Being realistic I feel my big water boat may be better suited down the road when the kiddos are busy doing their own thing, for now stick to the rivers and lakes around town where these type of boats would be more than adequate. With the occasional big water experience which may take some sacrfice of range on the windier days. Can’t have everything.

This could all change next month but want to go all in and not regret not trying to be involved with our girlies. I feel the bow seating is crucial for comfortability, and can add a casting deck if need be, but the cushions kind of add that “appeal” I feel they like. Should it be that way, no, but it is what it is. The FW has mentioned it be a bonus for her as well so she can invite some of our friends with.

Can’t find much for sale locally on any Stratos, but the 3series boats I really like to, and the price is around the range for used. Will keep scanning the ads and get a good feel for them when its time to pull the trigger.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

You really are in the same boat as me. She wants cushion seats up front and I want a deck to cast off of. Although, we likely will never use it to water ski.

I still hope we can get the searay. The problem is I was pretty naive about the cost of a wedding and I see it cutting into the boat budget. If not new, maybe a used one similar to how configurable the seating is in this year’s model and all its storage.

I don’t like the high sides of a deckboat, but I’ll be fishing up front, so hopefully it won’t be to much of a inconvenience. I’ll have a net for landing fish in back of the boat. 19′ should make it good for most inshore and freshwater situations.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

You really are in the same boat as me. She wants cushion seats up front and I want a deck to cast off of. Although, we likely will never use it to water ski.

I still hope we can get the searay. The problem is I was pretty naive about the cost of a wedding and I see it cutting into the boat budget. If not new, maybe a used one similar to how configurable the seating is in this year’s model and all its storage.

I don’t like the high sides of a deckboat, but I’ll be fishing up front, so hopefully it won’t be to much of a inconvenience. I’ll have a net for landing fish in back of the boat. 19′ should make it good for most inshore and freshwater situations.

Think I have an advantage as to the 10yr old boats I’m looking at haven’t been in saltwater their whole life. I’d imagine you have a lil more research to put in on how each boat was taken care of. Good luck man, hope it works out for us both in the end!

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

I was in the same boat (no pun intended) as you guys a few years ago and ended up with a Crestliner 1850 with a Yami F115. I sold that boat to buy a house and now a good friend of mine owns it.

A lot of people may think the boat is under powered, but honestly I did not have any issues with the 115 on there. The boat was rigged with 3 large batteries in the back, plus a heavy 3 bank charger. I spent a little time trying out different props and was able to dial in the performance of this combination. I was able to get skiers up out of the water with no issues at, and that was with 5-6 people in the boat including 3 adults. Top speed when loaded down was about 36 mph, fastest I got it to run was 38-39 mph. It’s not a speed demon with the F115, but it’s definitely a capable family and fishing boat. I would certainly have preferred the F150, but in no way did the F115 stop me from doing water sports or fishing with family/friends.

I mainly fished Mille Lacs with the boat, and unless the wind was blowing good I did not have any issues. Once you start getting the larger Mille Lacs waves you need to pay more attention when traveling, as this boat does not ride as nice as a glass boat and it’s wet. It does take time in bigger waves to get anywhere unless you are comfortable pounding on the boat. Once fishing the boat is fine in the bigger waves….just need to pay attention as the older ones have a low transom.

I am now starting to consider a new (used) boat, and the sportfish is at the top of the list due to price point for the 2001+ year 18-20′ boats. If I had more money I would be going glass, probably a 20′ Grady or Sea Hunt dual console, or a Reatta. That is not currently in my families budget currently, and I feel the sportfish is the next best thing. My biggest reason for wanting to go glass was for handling the bigger waves better and getting a drier ride, the sportfish is definitely a wet ride when the wind kicks up.

The wife really wants a pontoon, but I am not onboard with that (I need something with a windshield). She wants it mainly due to the comfort of the seating, so we have been struggling for a year trying to compromise on a boat and the sportfish is about as close as we have gotten aside from the larger saltwater boats.

Curiosity has me thinking…..anyone know how well the tri-toons do in larger waves?

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

True.

We talked to a guy at Marine Max and he said basically after saltwater use you need to stop at a freshwater lake on the way home and take a spin or just dip the motor and run it for a few minutes.

What I wonder is what people do when they live on and have a dock on the intracoastal waterway, especially when they are located near an inlet from the sea? Is the salt in that water diluted enough that it is the same as flushing the engine?

If we go used, where the boat was stored will be question #1. And if we do go used, it’ll probably still be through a dealer, as I’d expect we might not find a bargain, but will be a little more reassured.

We want to go with Marine Max because the sales guy there was real nice. Dean nice. Even though we said we are a year away he was willing to walk the lot and showroom with us and didn’t pressure us. He seemed very honest and willing to work with us to fit our budget and timeline.

The other reason we want to go with them is they have a boat club and have quarterly events that sound like fun, which would be nice for us when we are unfamiliar with “the salt life”. Apparently the first time you run your boat they have a guy go out with you to teach you everything you need to know like launching and trailering.

The last event they held was scalloping. How fun would that be to be able to go out with a group and learn.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Reattas are simply out of the price range ballpark, unless i find ine from the 80s. doah Nice boats though.

If you’re patient and vigilant you can find a Reata for low 20’s, maybe even cheaper. Heck, there’s a 2005 Reata 1950 on WC classifieds right now for $23,900, with only 80 hours on the motor. I’ve seen some 1850s that get closer to 20K every now and then, but you gotta be watching for them.

I realize that’s more than your 15-20k budget still, but if it’s something you are more happy with then maybe waiting another 6 months or something to save up is worth it?

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I realize that’s more than your 15-20k budget still, but if it’s something you are more happy with then maybe waiting another 6 months or something to save up is worth it?

I hear what you are saying but I plan on dropping another few $K in electronics. So that 23k now became 26k. I could save, but at this point in my life keeping the boat under around $20k is wise. Now years down the road everything works out well I’d have no problem dropping $60k on a boat.

The Reatas just don’t appeal to me. Perhaps it’s the lack of cushions up front, but mostly the high price tags with anything Ranger. I’m sure they hold value and have top notch latches and hinges, but not worth the added cost up front IMO. Years down the road I’m sure my appreciation for such things will develop, but for now I look at value. The Stratos and Skeeters of the boat world fit that bill better now.

I was in the same boat (no pun intended) as you guys a few years ago and ended up with a Crestliner 1850 with a Yami F115. I sold that boat to buy a house and now a good friend of mine owns it.

Your information helps alot. And brings up good stuff for me to remember on different props and such for the boat I’d get.

I hit about 30mph now in my 14′ and that’s pretty fast for me. Spent alot of time fishing with Gramps who only has one eye and driving the car and boat was pretty slow all around. Been use to that i guess and works for my family, so with the right propped boat hitting your stats with full load and tubing is ideal. Really good info thanks for that.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I hear what you are saying but I plan on dropping another few $K in electronics.

Yes.

If it were only up to me and I was really desperate, I’d take a Gheenoe with a 8.8hp motor and $4000 worth of side scan, down scan, 360 scan and navigation chart love.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>nhamm wrote:</div>
    I hear what you are saying but I plan on dropping another few $K in electronics.

Yes.

If it were only up to me and I was really desperate, I’d take a Gheenoe with a 8.8hp motor and $4000 worth of side scan, down scan, 360 scan and navigation chart love.

Its only fair if we take a hit on the fishability, then we can attempt make up for it a tad elsewhere devil

Its really for the health of the relationship.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

@nhamm

http://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/adviewer/112705

In your price range too!

FDR

Ohh I love those boats. 17.5′ long with full composite hulls, awesome storage for rods and family stuff.

Hold their value pretty well through the years, what were they 10yrs ago like $20k?

I see that and immediately want to rip the TM and depthfinder off. At least got something to sell for new stuff but not much.

Really would like to get a full windshield as well, since the boat will be able to handle bigger water, why not. Don’t know when those started being available but I have seen em.

All “wants” at this point, but it good to see what’s out there. If it was up this time next year I’d be planning on running over this weekend to look. Thanks for the heads up! toast

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Stuff

Totally understand hamm. $20k is a lot of cash! Good luck finding your boat!

Just out of curiosity though, are rangers really known to carry a higher price tag than Skeeters? I agree on the Stratos boats, but wouldn’t Ranger and Skeeter be in the same league price wise?

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Used or new Rangers are more money for the same number of feet compared to a Skeeter.

FDR

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

@mplspug1

http://www.walleyecentral.com/classified/adviewer/117513

Several sweet boats that went on market for us looking for used! I’m thinking to wait for next fall season now, CL and others seemed to come alive once people had to start storing stuff and thinking long term. Then again, does FL even have an off season? smash hah

J.P.

What about ProCraft?!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Thanks. I’m not sure what position we’ll be in next summer after the wedding. Michelle still swears we are getting the 19′ Sea Ray. I’ll be happy with a used Jon boat.

Ryan Hughes

My dad has a 2011 skeeter WX 1990 with a 200 yamy on it and it is a great boat although it is heavy and seems to be a little under powered although we haven’t tried re-propping it yet. with that said it will still do 41 mph at 7200 ft in elevation with four people and gear in the boat it just takes a little longer than I would like to pop me out of the water on my ski.

I have the new 2015 tracker pro guide 175 combo with a 115 hp merc on it and have been extremely happy with it. still a little under powered but it will still do 38 all loaded down. It also pops me out of the water just about as fast as my dad’s skeeter. The nice thing about the trackers is the new price is around 25 before you start adding options so you can find one that is a few years old in your price range without a problem.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Might want to look at the Stratos 326XF. Might be bigger than you are after, but has jump seats and removable front cushions. I’ve been running one for 3 years and still love it. Handles big water great and lots of room. Have had 6 people in it cruising and did fine with room to spare.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

What I wonder is what people do when they live on and have a dock on the intracoastal waterway, especially when they are located near an inlet from the sea? Is the salt in that water diluted enough that it is the same as flushing the engine?

If they have a dock they wash down the boat with fresh water as soon as it is on the lift.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Derp, that’d make sense. What about the engine?

M. Rowe

Funny, I have almost the exact boat you have pictured on your original post. A 2001 Glastron 185 Fish-n-Ski. I got it so I could fish comfortably but also keep my wife comfy while I fish. My plan has worked to a “T”. She can be in the back on the “couch” as I call it, or up on the tanning deck read her Kindle, I can fish all day long. I just got a Bimini top in the chance she wants to get out of the sun.
    As far as fishing goes, the best seat in the house is the front. The back is a little more challenging because the platform is so high. Mine is a true fish and ski meaning it sits a bit lower in the water than the models that are the runabouts with the metal bracket bolted on for the trolling motor. I have the original Minkota trolling motor. It pushes and pulls that boat terrefic. I fish almost exclusively with the bow mount trolling motor because it controls the boat so well.i primarily fish for “eyes” and bass in Crosslake on the Whitefish Chain.
    Our boat has the smallest I/O a 3.0L Volvo Penta. She goes 40 plus with both of us in it. It has a ladder for swimming, a hook for the tube. I really couldn’t ask for anything more. I have had mine for 5 years, purchased it used in January on just about the coldest day of the year. A great time to buy a boat! I get 5 people in it very comfortable. If I’d do it again, I would look at the Ranger, but the price tag is so high, I couldn’t possibly go down that road. That most likely would bring me right back to where I am. I paid well under $10K for mine and see my exact boat on Craig’s list for over $10.
    Good luck, this is a great time of the year to buy a boat!

dbright
    Cambridge

Nhamm check out cl. I ran across a stratos and ranger in your price range that look like they would make a good family/fishing boat. There was a 3rd but a little over your budget.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

My first boat was a fish & ski. The seating takes up a lot of floor space and makes it only comfortable to fish a couple of people. If you use downriggers, the gunnels on these boats are typically narrow and make mounting a real bear. As for speed, I think 2.5 is about as slow as you can possibly go on the main motor without resorting to a trolling plate or wind socks.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

My buddy has a Lowe 165 Fishing Machine Pro WT. He had the removable jump seat/rear deck added, and removable cushions up front. With a 90 4 stroke and smart craft guages for trolling, that put him right in that 20K range. Two seats behind the glass, plus the jump seats, and the cushions up front make for a more than servicable tubing and gas burning boat. Take that out, and it’s a very very fishable river rig.

I have the same boat in the 175, which is 14″ wider, with a 125 opti. You can get the same features, but would likely need a kicker, and the cost is substantially higher. Mine doesn’t have the fish and ski options though.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Really appreciate all the responses.

Funny how stuff changes only 30 days later, but that’s a good thing!

After all this so far IMO the ultimate goal is a Stratos, Reatta, Sportfish, etc. The big water handling, fishability, storage, and power enough to haul ass for skier/tuber under full load just can’t be beat IMO. The pricetags are higher, but they are looking more of a realistic option financially.

A good Plan B is the SL190, or similar Fish n Ski platforms that are more suited for the recreation side than the fishing.

And the most important thing I’ve learned thus far is to be patient. Search will start mid summer, and hopefully pick off a good one before winter hits. That’s alot of time for the right rig to pop up.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m still gauging inner tubes… coffee

Viewing 29 posts - 31 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.