Fish n ski boats

• nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Doing some research here and there for the next boat next year, and have come to the conclusion I need something comfy and a bit of a sacrfice on the fishing side of things to accommodate the wife and our 3 girls for the next several years possibly.

Just looking for overall observations on these types if anyone has fished out of some. Figured would get a top notch bowmount that would work for most my fishing.

How do they handle rough water? How do they track? How slow can some of those inboards troll? Storage? Maybe other things to consider?

No bass boats, perhaps deep v with some jump seats, really like the idea of cushions up front that are removable.

If it was strictly me I’d have a 18′ Tuffy tiller in the garage now whistling , but our oldest is already 12 and gone half the time with friends and soon with the other two, and would like to retain some of the memories with us in a boat cruising around, tubing, skiing, swimming, etc with their friends along.

Really like the stratos line, but anything used under $15k seems to be hard to come by, alot of these glastron type boats out there I’m curious about.

Attachments:
    1. 118449_0_070320091737_0.jpg

Jonesy

Are you looking for a used boat or new?

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

You need to check out triton’s Allure series. By far the most fishable layout I’ve ever seen in a fish n ski family type boat. Very affordable for glass boats and I’ve been really impressed in the other new tritons I’ve been in the past few years.

beanman
    Omaha

Is the Lund Crossover under consideration? I have jump seats in my Pro V and love it but I’m about 90% fishing 10% recreation so I opted for the better fishing layout. The Crossovers seem to be a nice compromise but perhaps you’re avoiding aluminum.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Are you looking for a used boat or new?

Used. Way better price points for myself with them. Can find super cheap 18′ boats that saw water a handful of times per year and sat in garage or storage until the snowbirds came back.

The Crossovers seem to be a nice compromise but perhaps you’re avoiding aluminum.

I’ll check those out. Not avoiding aluminum, just seems what I am looking for is in glass.
    Its really going to be a fishing sacrfice I signed up for with 3 girls. They are awesome kids but sitting in a jump seat all day they might start to get naggy. Want them and the friends to be comfy, which in my head says cushions, hopefully removable with options for inserting platform.

Price range now is 15k, but could see that going up to 20k next year when time comes to.

mojogunter

The stratos 386 (fish and ski layout)is the same hull as the 385xf (fishing layout). The 385 xf does very well as far as tracking and handling rough water. It is much better at both than my 1775 prov was. I believe the same is true as far as the allure triton and fish hunter having the same hulls with the layout the only difference, but I could be wrong about the triton. I have a friend that has a larson fish and ski that I have fished out of. That boat gets blown around trying to troll, and the winshield angles back too far to be able to fish from the drivers seat. The seats are also so low that makes the sides so high you can fish out of it unless you are standing or sitting in one of the rear jump seats. The larson is really a pleasure boat first with a livewell added along with a trolling motor and they call it a fish and ski. It will work in a pinch but really should be called a ski and fish. Sit in the seats and simulate fishing too see how the layout will perform for you before you buy is the best advice I can give you.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The Crossover looks really nice. Can’t find any in my price range though. Maybe another year will change that, but will keep that one in mind for sure.

The Stratos was brought up before in forums and have seen a couple on the water and the one at Cabelas. Super nice rigs that helped generate this conversation in myself to get the kids more involved. Saw one on CL couple months ago in the 17k range I believe and can’t find that anymore, they go quick, want to say it had a yammie on the back to. Many good reviews online like yours Mojo of their versatility.

Good ideas so far and appreciate the comments. This is some time away from purchase but the research on such items begins early, hopefully when time comes I’ll have focused the spotlight further.

joc
    Western and Central, NY

Try CreastLiner. they have great fishing – sporting boats compo’s. You’ll have to use the bow-mount trolling motor to troll. Up front is luxury for the wife, etc. and at the transom are 2 pockets on the outside of the motor area. (Look at my Avatar to get an idea how the transom is laided out.) The boat we fish from is > 18′ long and fast enough at 35 MPH using an v6 inboard. If you want they have many models that use outboards. We generally spincast from the rear as the pilot run the trolling motor. However we can troll as needed.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Bayliner has a good looking fish and ski but in my opinion is a entry level type boat. Lots of used ones around for decent prices. You will find out any boat you buy will be used more for fishing then playing. The wife will be gung ho until everybody gets sunburned or rained on. After that, not so much. The girls will go but only if they can bring their friends and only in the afternoons when it’s warm. Did I mention nobody will want to get up early to go fishing?

Find yourself a good fishing boat with enough room and motor that the family can use it the couple of times a summer everybody can get together.

If you want a true ride for doing family fun and relaxing get a pontoon with a suntop.

Just a old guys opinion. grin

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

We’re in the same boat as you, so to speak. Something I can fish out of that will also serve as a cruising boat when we want to take a small group of people out. I’m looking at a deck boat with a fishing package that lets you swap in a seat up front and has a trolling motor mount.

The one we are eyeing is the Sea Ray. Hurricane makes some nice boats too. They are mid range. I’d be happy with a used slightly older model to save some $$$, but looking at some older boats, they seem to hold their value to where it might not be worth the savings. It may end up being we end up with a Bayliner for now.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

Nitro makes a nice boat. Do you really want a inboard/out board? The engine takes up a lot of space inside the boat. Winterizing takes time and if some water is missed, a cracked block is costly. Working on them is also tough due to the fact that it is in a tight space. Just a few things to think about.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Try CreastLiner. they have great fishing – sporting boats compo’s

Is that a Sportfish?
    They look to fit the bill really nice. As of now there are several used on the market in the pricing ballpark i was looking at. Will defenitely keep those on top of list.

August 10, 2015 at 6:06 am#1558711
    Bayliner has a good looking fish and ski but in my opinion is a entry level type boat.

Its amazing the amount of boats out there for sale. You can buy yourself a used 24′ tunaboat with bathroom, sleeping quarters, kitchen, etc etc for same price as an 18′ deep v. Pretty baffling when you think about it.

Do you really want a inboard/out board?

Good question. Haven’t thought of the winters yet, especially since I would like to get to pool 4 multiple times how well do inboards fair in freezing conditions? Pretty much a no go on that? If it came down to that I might just keep my current boat, or buy a cheap small tin to use for such occasions.

I have no preference as of now. Scouting the options. Many of the boats that “fit” what im looking for, have inboards.

I’ve also thunk up the idea of getting whatever boat, and having some custom boat cushions made for the decks.

Skeeter SL190s also look very tempting, but not sure how they would handle bigger water. But a few of those out there like below.
    sl190

And then i see Warriors for $17k like this and i cringe on such fish n skis….

Attachments:
    1. 00X0X_3g7Zby7SB32_600x450.jpg

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I bought a Crestliner Sportfish 14 years ago for the same reason. It has been the perfect boat for my family. Fish, ski, tube, cruise, it did all very well. Still have it. In fact I realized as I write this, it is my avatar.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I’m looking at a deck boat with a fishing package that lets you swap in a seat up front and has a trolling motor mount.

The one we are eyeing is the Sea Ray. Hurricane makes some nice boats too. They are mid range. I’d be happy with a used slightly older model to save some $$$, but looking at some older boats, they seem to hold their value to where it might not be worth the savings. It may end up being we end up with a Bayliner for now.

Careful with these, Pug. I think some of these models may have come with OMC Cobras and are from the end of the OMC era. Parts availability for Cobras is becoming very difficult, essentially these are obsolete outdrives and I’d say service is only going to get more difficult as time goes on.

Just know what you’re getting into.

Grouse

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

A buddy of mine has a Ranger Reata 1850 and it’s really nice to fish out of. I think it would handle big water okay, I wouldn’t take it out on a rough day on LOTW or anything though.

jtstarvinmarvin
    Woodbury, MN

My dad recently bought a Crestliner 1850 Sportfish with a 4 stroke 150 Mercury. 2013 I think. Super quiet! I’m pretty much the only one that uses it as I’m an avid fisherman and I also like to water-ski and barefoot. For skiing, the wake is really really nice. I’ve skied behind MasterCraft and Moomba and I think it’s just as nice as some of those. *Not sure if you ski or not or if your daughters ski, but I thought I would mention it.

Fishing, it has the rod storage underneath which we never had with our older boat. (also a Crestliner). Super Nice!! Also has a nice flat platform to stand on in the back by the motor, which I love to fish from. The boat didn’t have the guides where you can clip rod holders to it, but I think Crestliner has those for the 2014 and 2015 models. I asked the sales rep if the motor would slow down enough to troll, and he said it would, but I was only able to get it down to 2.3 mph so you might need a kicker or use a bow mounted trolling motor.

I haven’t taken it out to Mille Lacs or big water though so I’m not sure how it would do out there, although it does chop our neighbors Wake Setter wakes pretty well. I did see a couple of Crestliner’s sportfish boats on Mille Lacs when I was there last year though, so it must be enough of a boat.

Good Luck!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Careful with these, Pug

Sea Ray, Hurricane or Bayliner?

Or all (as I Googled it)?

That’s strictly inboard, right? I am not getting an inboard.

Speaking of which, what is the purpose of an inboard? Is it to basically keep a motor from getting in the way of skiers and people trying to get up a swim ramp?

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

I/O would not be a good choice for fishing the river in the winter as you would have to rewinterize the motor after each use so you don’t freeze the block.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Thanks to everybody for the comments, definitely have enough to chew on for now.

Now it’s time to make some more money!!

rwmcvean

I went with the big girl Ranger Reatta 2050 (20 footer, same layout as 18 footer). Hard to find the big one used at a decent price, lots of 18 footers out their. The hull/layout hasn’t changed significantly over years so last year we bought a 2008 with confidence and it is absolutely awesome. I would say fish/ski ratio is about 70/30 but we don’t ski as much as just go out and bum around with the kids, maybe some tubing. Lots of space, awesome awesome, awesome. For a new one, be ready to sell your home to be able to afford, old one not as bad. cool

crappielover89

i have a skeeter fish and ski and i fish bass tournaments from it and the only thing i give up is a little tackle storage. i get to have fun and i can also take my wife and two boys out with me and they can be comfortable while were out fishing and they can tube and ski as well.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

@crappielover89

How would you say your rig handles bigger water? Does it track decent enough for any kind of trolling?

I’m certainly not a bass guy but my style is more on the aggressive side for walleyes, and being on the river alot curious as to how those hybrid bass boats handle.

Obviously there will be sacrfice when it comes to bigger water, but really have no idea what they put up with. 18′ glass bass boat comparable to a 16′ deep v? 14′?

The more I look at the sl190 the more I like. The kids looove it.

crappielover89

i fish lake Powell a lot i live in utah so thats my big water. i have been trapped in storms on there with 6-7 foot swells and i haven’t sunk it yet. now its not something you want to take out and try to handle water like that but sometimes we’re a hour away from the marina in a tournament and a storm can blow over in 5-10 min and you are poop out of luck. also i go there with my dad on family trips and troll for the strippers and walleye and it handles and trolls well. i have caught kokanee and lake trout trolling at flaming gorge as well. up until two years ago all i did was troll and then i got hooked on bass and tournament fishing. we will always keep our fish and ski for the use with family. i’m getting a tournament boat next year but we want to keep the fish and ski for family outings because it accommodates everyone’s needs so well.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

That’s some good info, thank you for that.

Have quite a bit of time until next year but have some excellent stuff to look into until then. toast

chomps
    Sioux City IA

What about a pontoon?

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s strictly inboard, right? I am not getting an inboard. Speaking of which, what is the purpose of an inboard?

There are strict inboards and there are inboards/outboards (I/Os).

Inboards are what you’ll see on ski and wakeboard boats, as pictured. No prop sticking out the back. Easy to get in and out the back of the boat and no worries about having a prop near people. They also turn via a rudder, so they are very easy to turn. That boat is worthless to fish from but a whole lotta fun to ski behind.

I/Os basically have an automotive motor coupled to the lower unit/outdrive like an outboard. You’ve still got the lower unit and prop in the back, yet the motor is buried unlike an outboard. They’re a bit quieter than an outboard, and you can stuff a bigger motor in there.

Attachments:
    1. 1439328287541.jpg

hnd

a friend has a crestliner sportfish for this same reason.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Researched this subject for a few years too, just haven’t written any checks.

Ranger Reata – awesome choice, have a friend with one. Finding a decent price may be hard
    Crestliner Sportfish – Another good choice and maybe easier on the budget than the Ranger. Just a little different but may work on the requested compromises
    Skeeter – I’m still learning and will defer to the others

Glastron or others like it – Buyer beware here. The runabouts that get labeled fish-n-ski look like a terrible compromise to me. Just because you took out some carpet then added a bow mount and a live well doesn’t mean it’s any good for fishing.

Here’s an alternative idea if you just can’t stand to have enough boats. What about that fiberglass runabout for the family and say a 16′ aluminum for you?
    Our inventory is a 2004 20′ Chaparral SSE w/180 hours for pleasure boating and an older 14′ Alumacraft for me to go fishing. I need a bigger fishing boat but ran out of money and garage space. Total cost for both was $17k.

Geerdes
    Brandon, SD 57005

I have 2002 Lund 1800 Fisherman and does the things that you are looking for. I would recommend 150 HP for sure.

ndrangerguy
    West Fargo, ND

I have a Ranger Reatta and would recommend it with out reservation. I am in a similar situation with a 13 and 11 year old who love to tube. We fish 70% of the time. When it is time to pull them the boat is enjoyable to drive unlike my old Lund fishreman that was horrible for pulling tubes.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.