Fish House Design/Customization

• crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I know its almost June but what the hell, im a nut for ice fishing. Feel free to throw out ideas as im more or less just playing with my own. I go back and forth about designing a fish house the way I want it. I have a family of 5 so I have to take that into consideration along with my budget. Im thinking lately about designing one that’s more of a wide open design. This way I can customize the sleeping situation with cots and whatnot if need be. Im not a builder so this would be something I would bring to a manufacturer like ice castle or some other outfit (I know ice castle is low on the quality but they are also very low on the price point). So here’s what im thinking:

-8×14 or 8×16
    -Toy Hauler
    -2 queen size electric bunks that I could put flush to the ceiling on one side
    -Have the cabinets/heater/stove/stereo in the V of the trailer on the other side. Probably skip on the oven as they aren’t very good anyway and if I want to make a pizza I will buy a pizza oven.

-Spray Foam floor/walls/ceiling
    -Galvanized frame
    -several outlets placed throughout the house and an antenna
    -hole placement will be 6 along the sides
    -Bathroom not needed.

that’s it. Leave the middle wide open. I can probably mount an extra cabinet along the wall if I want or a TV stand but otherwise leave it empty. I would hope to have something like this designed for around the 15k mark give or take. Debating on whether I could get away with 6.5 for width with the open plan but I think I would regret that. For summer use I can install a window air conditioner or use one of those floor units.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Bathroom not needed?? shock

Not sure I want to know what you’re planning on to get by without one.

2 queen size beds? Guess I’d have to see that. I agree you wouldn’t need an oven as long as you have a 2 burner cooktop. Sounds like you want to keep it open but a table comes in handy for a lot, eating, playing cards, games with kids, working space for fishing equipment.

Post pictures when you get it out this coming winter. wink

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Have you been in any houses with your family yet? May be worth a trip to a place that has a bunch on display. I have a 8×16 yeti and my wife and 4 year old in it drive me crazy for lack of space. But I think you are on the right track with the electric bunks and cot idea. They do make a flip down bunk for over the wheel wells too that may work for you. But I really think that you would be best off getting a bath room, trust me…
    What is your tow vehicle? A 1/2 ton truck will handle a 18′ tandem axle.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Bathroom not needed?? shock

Not sure I want to know what you’re planning on to get by without one.

2 queen size beds? Guess I’d have to see that. I agree you wouldn’t need an oven as long as you have a 2 burner cooktop. Sounds like you want to keep it open but a table comes in handy for a lot, eating, playing cards, games with kids, working space for fishing equipment.

Post pictures when you get it out this coming winter. wink

yeah my girl is pretty tolerant. she is fine with a 5 gallon bucket and i am too. A bathroom is nice but takes up a good chunk of space. I could setup the portable hub to use as a bathroom shelter on long trips. for a card table i was thinking of just bringing a fold up. I also considered making a table that folds up into the wall. Good suggestions Andy!

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

Have you been in any houses with your family yet? May be worth a trip to a place that has a bunch on display. I have a 8×16 yeti and my wife and 4 year old in it drive me crazy for lack of space. But I think you are on the right track with the electric bunks and cot idea. They do make a flip down bunk for over the wheel wells too that may work for you. But I really think that you would be best off getting a bath room, trust me…
    What is your tow vehicle? A 1/2 ton truck will handle a 18′ tandem axle.

thanks for the suggestions mark! i agree that its a small space for 5 people and im sure it will be tight. i think any fish house with 5 people is a tight squeeze. My friend has a 28ft long fish house and i would be starved for space in there with my family. I think its just the nature of the beast. I think thats a great suggestion though to visit a place that has many fish houses on display and we can see what works best. My current tow vehicle is a 2006 Durango with a 5.7 Hemi

404 ERROR
    MN

I built my Yetti from a shell and did a few things that seemed good at the time but are turning to become a PITA. Mine is a 6.5′ x 12′

First. Allow for a swing out card table somewhere. The front counter in mine gets full of stuff fast and becomes tough to clean fish/cook. I do not have any sort of oven or stove built in, I use electric griddles or small Coleman propane stove. Allows me to use the whole front counter.

Second. Somehow get small storage shelves or cabinets along the perimeter a foot or so from the ceiling. Allows you to get small items out of the way that take up floor space while fishing.

Third. In a house that size, 8 holes is preferred for me. On trips, you will probably only be using 6 or less due to the beds coming down. But if you take family or friends on a day trip and the beds are not used, pop the covers off and you have 2 more holes, allowing for more versatility.

My beds are made from 2×4’s and plywood and both fold into the back wall and are fastened by slide bolt latches. They tend to pop loose on long rides across lakes…I have not figured out a good solution to that yet other than set them on the ground for long hauls…I needed them removable since it is a toy hauler, that’s why I didn’t make a permanent mount. The beds fold down onto 2×4’s that are bolt through the wall for security.

A bathroom is VERY nice, but for a house that size, and for the amount of people you plan on having in it, I would also not have one. With 2 beds, heater, counter and card table, your wall space is taken up in a hurry and you need all you can get. On trips, my house is MAXED for 2 people. A 5 gallon bucket, bag and a pool noodle around the rim works for me. If someone needs to take care of business, simply ask the other to step out for a minute, open the windows and do your duty. A can of perfume spray and 2 minutes later and it’s like it never happened.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I have a Ice Castle MilleLacs edition 8′ x 16′. I looked for a big wheel house for years and IMO this is the best layout by far. The use of space is great and I have very little to complain about. I can easily fit 6 adults in this house playing cards, sleeping. My wife and kids (3.5 & 5 yrs old) spent over 30 nights in our house last year.

The bathroom is awesome! And takes almost no space. Plus we hang clothes in there.

You can order this house with a toy hauler door and electric beds too.

I have all spray foam walls and floor, its very nice.

I have a rubber coated frame. It’s nice but would prefer galv.

I’d also recommend ditching the oven and getting a mini fridge in its place. We use a “Pizzaz” to make our pizzas. It works great for eggs, bacon, and reheating anything at all. Just throw what you want to cook in a pie tin and you’re set.

The fold out couch is awesome. My wife and I sleep on that.

I think I’d recommend having a standard model house built with some slight changes. They make 1000’s of these things and they just get better and better. I have been in very few custom houses that are well designed. It just takes too much trial and error IMO.

There’s a reason that the guys that go custom end up building a half dozen houses. They learn from everyone and realize what they screwed up when it’s too late. Also a standard house is going to be much cheaper. I think you’re looking at a 20k house custom built. I found mine 2 months old for 14k.

Good luck!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20160630_230218_610.jpg

2. IMG_20160630_230202_565.jpg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I think Joe probably just gave you the best advice. Without a table setup and ready, things will find their way onto the floor to be stepped on or tripped over. As diligent as you may try, it is inevitable.

How old are your kids and have you ever taken the “family 5” out in something like this yet? If not, you might think about renting something similar for an overnight outing to see what works and what doesn’t before committing the $15,000.

On more thought on the bathroom, I agree with Joe on his setup. Sure, you could get by without one and use something like the “luggable loo”. But keep in mind how inconvenient it could be to have everyone vacate the fish house while someone answers “the call”

Attachments:
    1. lloo.jpg

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I will be designing a house for ice castle to build off of their basic special v. 17′ hydraulic galvanized frame, split v nose, half bathroom/ closet, half kitchen/ furnace. One fold down bunk between kitchen and wheel well, cabinets on top of the wheel wells, the fold away benches that fold down flat for sleeping and setup for around a table, then up along the walls to use the ramp door, queen electric bed above that, sleeps 5 with room for cots. 8 holes. Wide open.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Skinny shelving with counter down partially​ both sides up front, super convenient to hold stuff on. 4 typical fold down bunks in the back, but over the the counters in front have two eye bolts on ceiling both sides, and can hang hammocks from. Buddy’s dad has his rigged this way and works great.

If you’ve never got to that happy place with tequila and crawled into a hammock 5′ off the ground, you got to. I never have personally but really enjoy watching others jester

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I will be designing a house for ice castle to build off of their basic special v. 17′ hydraulic galvanized frame, split v nose, half bathroom/ closet, half kitchen/ furnace. One fold down bunk between kitchen and wheel well, cabinets on top of the wheel wells, the fold away benches that fold down flat for sleeping and setup for around a table, then up along the walls to use the ramp door, queen electric bed above that, sleeps 5 with room for cots. 8 holes. Wide open.

You’ll have to show me that one when you design it. That sounds pretty similar to what I want

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I have had 5 different fish houses over the years and I believe this will take care of everything for me. Everyone figures out something different they want after a couple of trips. But I am very excited for the new house. Maybe later this summer or possibly next, I’m not going to deal with ice castle during their busy season. I’m hoping to receive a little better customer service and possibly get lucky on better build quality in their “off” season. My dad and I have owned 2 ice castles so far and they are always making improvements. Biggest thing I can suggest is galvanized frame. I hardly ever use the bathroom as a bathroom, but it’s there and also works great as a storage closet, chairs, surplus beverages, food cooler, fish, if the door is kept close, stays nice and cool in there and if you need a bathroom for when the wind decides to blow 40, you will be glad you have it.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I have a Ice Castle MilleLacs edition 8′ x 16′. I looked for a big wheel house for years and IMO this is the best layout by far. The use of space is great and I have very little to complain about. I can easily fit 6 adults in this house playing cards, sleeping. My wife and kids (3.5 & 5 yrs old) spent over 30 nights in our house last year.

The bathroom is awesome! And takes almost no space. Plus we hang clothes in there.

You can order this house with a toy hauler door and electric beds too.

I have all spray foam walls and floor, its very nice.

I have a rubber coated frame. It’s nice but would prefer galv.

I’d also recommend ditching the oven and getting a mini fridge in its place. We use a “Pizzaz” to make our pizzas. It works great for eggs, bacon, and reheating anything at all. Just throw what you want to cook in a pie tin and you’re set.

The fold out couch is awesome. My wife and I sleep on that.

I think I’d recommend having a standard model house built with some slight changes. They make 1000’s of these things and they just get better and better. I have been in very few custom houses that are well designed. It just takes too much trial and error IMO.

There’s a reason that the guys that go custom end up building a half dozen houses. They learn from everyone and realize what they screwed up when it’s too late. Also a standard house is going to be much cheaper. I think you’re looking at a 20k house custom built. I found mine 2 months old for 14k.

Good luck!

Thanks Joe! That’s a good point about the price discount from buying a pre-made house/design vs custom. I hadn’t considered that they would be better at building the usual ones vs a custom build but that makes sense considering it’s ice castle.

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

Since you’re looking into the toy hauler, I’d look a the Team Lodge fish houses manufactured by Distinct Builders in Brookings, SD. Very well open floor plan just for toy hauling. You can buy factory direct from them as well. The best thing about these houses are there’s approximately 50 made a year, versus mass produced like other manufactures. So the attention to detail is a lot better.

They come with electric queen size beds (awesome btw), rubber floor, 100% sprayfoam, electric winches instead of cranks, etc.

I know a couple guys that have there’s for sale right now. only a year or 2 old in great shape, so you might be able to save a little money. I’m one of those guys, but mine is not a toy hauler. PM if you have any questions!

http://www.team-lodge.com/

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Crappie, one more thing to note. If you go with low quantity/higher quality brand you will pay a lot more!! I’ll be honest my impression of Ice Castle 10 yrs ago was not favorable. The houses they make today are much higher quality. In fact for the money I think they are one of the best buys out there, if not the best. I priced out other brands and I found most were nearly double the cost. I know guys that have paid 25-30k for almost the same house in different brands.

Some of the finish work on the Ice Castles can be a bit rough… sharp edges on some cedar trim and so on. I can sand a lot of corners and do a lot of touch up work for 10-15k. Not that you’d have to, I think they did an awesome job for a mas produced house.

I don’t think I could buy the frame and all of the components for what you could buy a slightly used one for. Let alone the 300 hrs you’d have into building one.

My kids just asked when the ice was going to freeze so they could go ice fishing. Such a fun thing to have with little kids in the picture.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

All this fish house talk is makin me thirsty. I might have to set the Hub up in the back yard and pound a few. whistling

Scott

Hello all, long time reader (first time poster)I am glad I’m not the only crazy one looking at fish houses in June.. I just ordered a Yetti… I am pretty excited! See you guys this winter! Cheers!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Hello all, long time reader (first time poster)I am glad I’m not the only crazy one looking at fish houses in June.. I just ordered a Yetti… I am pretty excited! See you guys this winter! Cheers!

Nice of you to finally come out of the closet Scott. wave

Where are you from and where might we see you this winter in your new Yetti?

Scott

I live in Andover, but will be storing this up near Hackensack… I’ll keep it out on Leech for the most part, but might try some of the lakes around Alexandria and of course Mille Lacs..

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Finally ordered the house last night, I definitely recommend going through B&B sports in Hutchinson, MN. Butch and the boys out there have been great to work with over the years! It’s actually where I plan on buying my next boat from. I will post a final draft of the design when I get it. And hopefully pictures of the completed unit will follow shortly. Great time of year for special orders.

Scott

Congrats Dustin! Hopefully it’s a cold winter

walleye55369

When I talked to Smokey Hills a few weeks ago they said that they cannot do electric beds on the side walls only the back or in the front. Here is the design that I came up with maybe it will help! I’m trying to learn from my buddies houses, I also think it will be fairly open.

Attachments:
    1. Anderson-Custom-8x21-2018.jpg

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.