First trip to Lake of the Woods

• Phil S.

I am heading up to lake of the woods December 17th for a sleeper ice house trip, 3 days with sportsmans lodge. I was wondering if anyone has been through sportsmans before? I also know that this subject has probably been beaten to death a few times over but am wondering what kinda tackle should I bring, my box is full of VMC tinglers and tumblers and a few rippin raps, just looking for ideas on any others I should be looking for! Any help would be much appreciated! Tips advice are also welcome! Also its a guys trip trying to find ideas of things to do while the fish are not biting if you have any ideas that would be great!

Thank you for your help and thank you IDO team for putting out great film!

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Sounds like you have a good mix to start with. I’d add a few spoons in red and gold (combo of possible) with rattles and without. Also bring some plain hooks and weights as well as jig head options for under the deadsticks. I’ve also heard some locals who claim they swear by the greens and chartreuse colors. During slow periods raised drop a rippin rap halfway down the water column and rip away to see if you can bring fish in. If you get one at that level be prepared because it’s probably a nice one!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Gold is always good, with green, pink, red, purple, rattles, buckshot spoons.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Good advice above. Stop in at Outdoors again in Baudette, Log cabin bait or Border bait shops out near Wheelers point. You will find the largest assortment of custom gold combination lures specific to the lake. Pick some up because they aren’t sold many other places. Gold is king especially in combination with glow red or maroon. Firetiger & pink/glow are right up there for me also. Have a great trip! It’s an awesome fishery.

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

Red glow lindy rattln flyer is what you need. Get a few of them, normally the 1/8 – 1/4 oz are good size.

Phil S.

I appreciate the input!! And will definitely stop to pick up some gold. Any thoughts on sportsmans or things to do in down time out on the ice? Also I have braided line and mono for line any luck with either? I haven’t had luck with floro in the spring summer so hesitant to use it in ice any ideas?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I wouldn’t go on the ice on LOW w/out a Red Buckshot and Red Rattlin Flyer. The other lures stated are good also. Use the Rippin Rap (or Darter) when things are slow. If you need a break from the fish house a trip over to Zipple bay and the Igloo is always a good time (though I doubt they have it out by Dec 17th at our current ice making pace). Otherwise depending on where your house is and snow conditions it might be worth coming in shallow or moving around during down time. But a cribbage board, deck of cards and plenty of booze usually helps me pass the time in a sleeper. Sportsmens is great you won’t have any complaints. Mono, Flouro or Braid doesn’t really matter up there in the stained water imo, I use braid or mono. I’m sure you guys will have a BLAST!

Doug Larsen
    Minnesohtah

Gold Pink and Red are always winners! Forget the camera, the water is too stained (see Gold, Pink, Red…)

Depending on moods you might have to really work em. But houses that work em catch fish

lundojam

Rattlin’ Flyer is tough to beat. Don’t forget plain or gold hooks or the colored Gamagatsus hooks. More often than not, for me, the jig brings ’em in and the plain hook catches them.
    You’ll want a deck of cards and a TV. It gets dark awful early that time of year. Also Busch Light.

Phil S.

Thanks guys! Looks like I’ll be shopping in the near future! Just hope there is enough ice by December 17th! How are you guys fishing the flyer? Topped with minnow head or naked?

Francis K
    Champlin, MN

Head, tail or whole minnow. It all works.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Sportsmans is a pretty nice place, more hotelish, big bar, great pull tab set-up.
    Gold frosties are my go to, however dead stick sometimes out fishes all.

There’s about 6 – 7 resorts right there, we usually check out a few, best night life is at the Wigwam. They always have some cheesy band playing, but its fun.

Phil S.

Well one of my buddies has never ice fished so hopefully he has fun so I can have a new fishing buddy, won’t be in the lodge be a sleeper house, won the trip at a ducks unlimited banquet so didn’t have a choice of resorts, if it goes well it will be a yearly trip so hoping to bag some pigs and have a days full of eaters!

Joshua LaVelle
    Faribualt

Hope u have enough ice for a sleeper by then

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Don’t forget plain or gold hooks or the colored Gamagatsus hooks. More often than not, for me, the jig brings ’em in and the plain hook catches them.

x2 on this one. More often than not the bobbers do better than the fancy lures. Pay attention to your flasher. You’ll start to figure out if they are pinned right to the bottom or a bit off of it.

Last year on that same weekend they were pinned so tight to the bottom that it was really hard for the flashers to pick them up. We were setting our baits only 4 inches off bottom. Hope they are more lively for you!

Sportsmans is great. Really nice bar and often have a band on Saturday nights.

Phil S.

Well I didn’t get to go as there was no Ice… I am re scheduled to go in feb so lets hope the ice isn’t melted by then…

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I think you’ll be safe, I’m guessing you’ll need a 12 inch extension by then :).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.