First timer to Red Lake

• Kevin

Hello, I am heading up to Red Lake this weekend with my father fishing out of a sleeper house. I have never fished Red Lake before and was hoping for some suggestions on colors or tactics that seem to work better than others? We are mainly hoping for walleyes but are certainly happy to catch anything! Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!

dexknows
    Blackduck, MN / Minneapolis, MN

The bite has slowed a bit recently, but during low light periods you will always have better luck. Try some jigging spoons that have a fairly aggressive motion (preferably with some noise) throughout the day tipped with either a full minnow or a minnowhead. Never hurts to have a deadstick set up with a large shiner/sucker for larger walleyes and northerns. Don’t be afraid to get aggressive with rippin raps etc. if the bite isn’t there with spoons. If you are mobile, I have heard that there is a bit of crappie action picking up further out, although nothing super consistent. Be sure to check with the resort on ice roads/conditions, as the warm weather may have changed some things recently. Good luck, you should have no trouble getting on some solid walleye action!

captddh
    Cannon Falls, MN

I like to run a shiner with a bobber rod 8″ off the bottom. i use a gold jig and fathead with the other rod. Bite has been slow right away in the morning. Here and there during the day with w good evening bite. Stay away from roads and crowds. Some like to fish by ice heaves. good luck

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Heaves always produce on that lake. But stay safe. And stay away from the crowds. If something isn’t working slight changes are huge. Stop and get some big fat heads. And we broke away from the crowds, went about 3 miles past every one. And we did awesome. Was about 3 weeks ago now. I suggest to never fish in pressured areas. Not worth it.

curleytail

I was up last weekend thurs to sat for my 1st time. I could not believe how easy Red was to fish. I got around a quarter mile or more away from crowds and had fish in literally every hole i drilled from 10 to 12 feet of water. About 10 seemed to be best.
    I went out of West Winds 2 days and Beacon Harbor 1 day. Did better from West Winds but that might have been more due to timing than location. Red buckshot 1/8 oz spoon with minnow head was my most used and productive jig, though pretty much any spoon and minnow head worked well. Caught a handful on a number 4 Rippin Rap but had a harder time getting fish to actually hit it. Also caught lots of fish on a deadstick with #4 glow red Demon jig. Lost a LOT of fish on the jig rod for some reason. Better hookups on the deadstick. I’d say I caught 60 percent of fish on the deadstick but number of bites was similar. I only bought fatheads. Saw no reason to spend more on shiners.

For a 1st timer I had a 4 fish limit on the ice with a 18.5 incher and 3 16s in about 30 minutes. From the FIRST hole I drilled.

My experience says get away from the big crowds and you’ll find fish.

Oh p.s. I tried fishing where I did very well on my 1st day on the last day. Difference was on the last day that spot was surrounded by people. Wanted to try it out of curiousity. Spent 20 minutes there and never marked a fish. Went a half mile out and caught them all day. I’d guess I caught 30 to 50 a day for the most part.

Tucker

dbright
    Cambridge

Over the weekend almost all are fish during the day came jigging. Macho minnows caught the most fish but we caught them on every type of jigging spoon we tried. After 9pm are only fish came on rattle reels with shinners. We had a tough time finding are under 17 fish all weekend. We caught alot between 19-23 with 26 being are biggest.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Driving that far and then saying “oh wow a big bunch of shacks over there let’s go” is just lazy and stupid

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

A couple of good videos to help you out.

Kevin

Thank you for all the help! I will be sure to post results!

toddrun

Kevin,

I am headed up tomorrow morning as well. The information I gathered, sounds like pink and red in glow are kind of the go to’s right now. And since you are in a sleeper, sounds like the midnight to 2am slot has been good for the rattle reels, so have them setup, and hopefully you have some light sleepers in the shack, ha! Tough to move around when in a rental sleeper, we are doing the same thing, but I hope our guide has us out on our own, away from the crowds. Sounds like decent weather, so maybe I will do some bucket fishing on my own, if it is slow.

Best of luck to you and your group.

Fishman769

I was up there last weekend. Spent the night in our wheel house. We went out of Rogers to about 12-13ft and did real well. Rattle Reels we’re going all night long.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

We were up there last week. As stated steer as clear of the crowds as possible and you will be much more successful. Standard Red lake colors, pink, glow red, gold. The only thing that we did different is when it was slow we went small and didn’t get much, so my brother tied on a big a** kastmaster, like a 1oz. He started getting one after another. So I went to the largest profile spoons I have and was really steady for a couple hours.

Kevin

Appreciate the help! I stopped at Runnings last night and stocked up!

Bigwalleye30
    MN

Bring Black Velvet and I think you guys will be just fine.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Bring Black Velvet and I think you guys will be just fine.

I dont think any one is fine after drinking black velvet

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

Black Velvet, that’s a staple of deer camp. Usually it’s Maker’s Mark for the ice.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

More of a nod to the original poster and his dad, if its the same two I’m thinking of…

Kevin

Black Velvet and Busch Light were the first two items on the list!

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

I’m heading up on Sunday with my son, and spending a night in a sleeper with Steve and Tyler at Bearpaw. Heard set lines at night have been pretty consistent so far, and moving around during the day to find active fish with glow rattle spoons. Will be taking the wheeler to be mobile during the day (and safe, did hear rumor of a couple trucks breaking thru last weekend). Also heard of a few crappies caught off of Hillman’s road.
    Good luck, and will try to post a report while we,re up there.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.