First Rainy River Trip

• ThunderLund78

Sturgeon fishing on the rainy is as close to tarpon fishing you’ll find in the north country. Not quite as acrobatic, but they’re good for some jumps, they’ll make your drag sing and back hurt.

We just never mess with the Canadian side, PLENTY of water to fish and the walleye don’t just stay one one side, they’re free to come and go without a passport, license or Outdoor Card!

One thing that folks haven’t mentioned yet – dead heads, not so much the natural ones, but each shoreline seems to have logs that stick out 6″-12″ out of the water every quarter mile or so. I’m told they’re remnants of the logging industry – they drove upright timbers into the riverbed and they’d keep logs pointed in the right direction when they were floated in giant rafts down-river (no idea if that’s true – maybe someone can correct me). Anyway – they’re not marked but usually visible and closer to shore if you keep an eye out for them. but there’s one or two that are right in the damn middle just downstream of the Baudette Bridge. If there’s open water and you’re up on-plane, keep a good eye out.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Sturgeon fishing on the rainy is as close to tarpon fishing you’ll find in the north country. Not quite as acrobatic, but they’re good for some jumps, they’ll make your drag sing and back hurt.

We just never mess with the Canadian side, PLENTY of water to fish and the walleye don’t just stay one one side, they’re free to come and go without a passport, license or Outdoor Card!

One thing that folks haven’t mentioned yet – dead heads, not so much the natural ones, but each shoreline seems to have logs that stick out 6″-12″ out of the water every quarter mile or so. I’m told they’re remnants of the logging industry – they drove upright timbers into the riverbed and they’d keep logs pointed in the right direction when they were floated in giant rafts down-river (no idea if that’s true – maybe someone can correct me). Anyway – they’re not marked but usually visible and closer to shore if you keep an eye out for them. but there’s one or two that are right in the damn middle just downstream of the Baudette Bridge. If there’s open water and you’re up on-plane, keep a good eye out.

This goes for every river. Ever. They change daily

walleyevision

Thanks for all the great info guys. So if I’m reading and understanding everything correctly, we need an Ontario license, outdoors card and proof of vaccination (from what I could gather, no need for a booster) to fish Canadian waters, but only if we don’t anchor or beach the boat on the shore.
    No need for a RABC.

Do most of you guys fish with bait or artificials for walleyes? Would make fishing the Canadian side much easier if we didn’t have to worry about bait in the boat.

I’ve got an 18ft alumacraft competitor and currently have a 10-12lb fluke style anchor, I’m guessing I should probably upsize? Any suggestions for anchor type for that river?

Thanks!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There is a bunch of snow up here this year. If there is a fast melt the river flow will be high. Follow the weather closely as you prepare for your trip.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I dont use anything but artificials on the river unless targeting sturgeon. Walleye is plastics or cranks. I would up size your anchor. But also don’t anchor In a real strong current seam.

Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

James has done several excellent IDO episodes on fishing Rainy River in the spring. Just search In Depth Outdoors Rainy River. Pretty much everything you need to know is covered in them.

grizzly
    nebraska

I struggle catching fish on plastic in the river in spring, must not have the back for it. Catch a ton on jig and shiners

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

grizzly your using to heavy of a jig if it’s hard on the back.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I struggle catching fish on plastic in the river in spring, must not have the back for it. Catch a ton on jig and shiners

The only thing I can say about pitching plastics is, it takes patience. It took me a while to get comfortable. Just like jigs for bass. It’s a learning curve that I wasn’t used to. And with a bait I have no confidence in, I switch away from them way to fast. I don’t bother live bait on rivers any more and haven’t in a few years. Some day bring out a few packs of plastics and just fish them. If it’s ring worms, paddle tails, twister tails, and the endless others. I did this a few times and it has paid off. That big one I posted in this thread is off a jig head and fire cracker moxi. I hit a ton of fish that day and only went through 3 plastics

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

You can also see in the pic I’m the odd one out and I throw them on 12lbs braid on my bass set ups. I’m probably the only one on the river throwing jigs in a baitcaster set up. But it works great.
    I like to throw in to visible snag areas. Just like looking for bass

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I love fishing plastics, but I’ll take a fat red tail or river mix from Steve’s over plastics on Rainy all day. Your mileage may vary, and I know Bearcat and a few others that are exclusively artificials but minnows usually win the side by side in my experience.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I would guess the price of live bait will take a healthy jump this year along with everything else.

B-man

We always bring minnows, but usually end up giving them all away when we leave

Love me some plastics on the Rainy (and the fish do too) toast

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.