First Rainy River Trip

• walleyevision

Hi all,

My son and a buddy are headed up to fish the river for the first time April 10-13. We are newbs to the Rainy and could use a little friendly advice. We are renting a house near Baudette so it will be nice to have a place to recharge our trolling motor batteries etc.

Would it be wise for us to trailer the boat further upriver, or if the river is open near Baudette, fish there? We are primarily targeting big walleyes and sturgeon. From what I’ve gathered on forums is that you want to fish edges of current and eddys with heavy jigs/plastics/minnows. I’m currently bulking up my supply of 1/2oz and 3/4oz jigs in anticipation for stronger current.

With sturgeon do we just try to anchor at the head of deep pools and soak our baits?

Lastly, to fish Canadian waters do I need anything other than an Ontario sportsman card and fishing license? I bought both but want to make sure I won’t be violating any laws. Do I need to “check in” with Canada if I fish that side of the river? I’ve considered trailering the boat across the border for possible decreased launch congestion, but it may be a headache with COVID. I think you need to show proof of a negative test 48hrs prior.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate any help/pointers you can provide.

WV

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

With sturgeon do we just try to anchor at the head of deep pools and soak our baits?

I would like to try this one spring too. So I will be following this thread. Hopefully someone good responses come in from people who have go up there regularly.

3Rivers

Been doing the Sturgeon trip annually for over 15 years. The majority of the Sturgeon are moving upstream out of the lake. You just have to intercept them. Don’t get hung up on spots, get hung up on time on the water and soaking baits and watching rod tips. Don’t be afraid to fish after dark. Keying in on the subtle bites and mixing in some minnows with your crawlers will also help.
    Don’t be the guy running around for miles side scanning everything and trying to time a bite on fish you seen on the sonar. Sit for an hour or two and if nothing, then move.

The fish will find you trust me….

grizzly
    nebraska

It will depend on current on what size of jig. Last year we only used a 1/4 oz. and don’t think we can go into Canada at all

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Been doing the Sturgeon trip annually for over 15 years. The majority of the Sturgeon are moving upstream out of the lake. You just have to intercept them. Don’t get hung up on spots, get hung up on time on the water and soaking baits and watching rod tips. Don’t be afraid to fish after dark. Keying in on the subtle bites and mixing in some minnows with your crawlers will also help.
    Don’t be the guy running around for miles side scanning everything and trying to time a bite on fish you seen on the sonar. Sit for an hour or two and if nothing, then move.

The fish will find you trust me….

100 percent spot on. And obviously should be from the sturgeon man. I fish this bite every year. For sturgeon we do different then most and soak a 1 oz jig head with frozen shiners and crawlers both hooked.
    We fish all over the river. From baudette to where ever we can get. Big walleyes are magical.
    My at the time 7 year old caught s 58 inch sturgeon and a 29 inch walleye in the same day. Last year I hit my big walleye.
    The forks are the boss. Once they break fishing can be brutal. Your dates are close to that time. But doesn’t mean they will break by then

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200402-110832_Facebook.jpg

2. IMG_11221.jpg

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I don’t mess around with the Canadian side of the river, this maybe dated info, but last I looked you couldn’t have live bait, alcohol or barbed hooks on the Canadian side. And yes the mounties will be out checking anyone on that side. We bring sturgeon stuff, but rarely use it unless fishing/weather is brutal or for a break to have lunch. Jig size will depend on the current, and I usually add to the arsenal at Steve’s Lucky Bait right when you get into Baudette. Any color works, as long as it’s gold! rotflol As far as places to launch, it all depends on the spring weather and the forks. I’ve always had more luck up river than 4 mile bay or Baudette, but those can be great fishing too.

grizzly
    nebraska

It’s gonna have to really start warming up

B-man

From what info I gathered by calling the border last week was that you only need to have proof of vaccine if you’re not touching land (and obviously a fishing license and no felonies). No testing, reporting, etc needed.

I asked nicely to get it in writing, but he told me to check out the website.

dbright
    Cambridge

From what info I gathered by calling the border last week was that you only need to have proof of vaccine if you’re not touching land (and obviously a fishing license and no felonies). No testing, reporting, etc needed.

I asked nicely to get it in writing, but he told me to check out the website.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/pb-pp-eng.html#s1
    This is what I found after seeing this post. Hopefully holding the line changes that before the river opens.

grizzly
    nebraska

We can navigate Canadian water but can’t fish it yet

B-man

We can navigate Canadian water but can’t fish it yet

Did something change again? I thought they eased up in August on it.

The border agent that I spoke with last week said we could if vaccinated.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220212-082258.png

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

How about the live bait issue with Canada? They’ve always been resistant to bringing live bait into Canadian waters.

dbright
    Cambridge

I don’t know if you guys scrolled the link I posted but that was last updated on 11/15/21.

I don’t see Canada ever changing the bait rules.

queenswake
    NULL

If you have an extra day, it’s also fun to cast and troll for huge pike in Zippel Bay. Or if nothing is going on the river. Just a nice way to round out a spring trip up there.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I don’t know if you guys scrolled the link I posted but that was last updated on 11/15/21.

I don’t see Canada ever changing the bait rules.

I read it. I think I have the rules down except for live bait. So if I’m sturgeon fishing and I have live bait aboard, but just navigate through Canadian water without mooring, landing, or stopping to fish, is that OK? I know you can’t bring in live bait across a border crossing other than worms in artificial bedding because they don’t even like our dirt.

grizzly
    nebraska

Last I new you couldn’t even have frozen shiners from the us side

ThunderLund78

Have good anchors if going for Sturgeon. Recommend two to keep the boat from swaying, depending on the current. Not sure what the size of your boat is but fishing out of an 18 ft we found two 20 lb river anchors or claw-style anchors to keep you good and in-place. It might be overkill, but nothing is more frustrating than getting set up on the bottom and then noticing your line going slack as you slowly drift over it.

AK Guy

Put a bouy on the end of your anchor line. When you hook up, detach and throw the bouy in, and free drift with the sturgeon. It’s a heck of a lot more fun fighting the fish and not the current. It’s also better on the fish overall because you’re not stressing it for half an hour or more. When you’re all done landing the fish and taking photos, run back up river to your bouy/anchor line, and your back on your exact spot again. This technique is done on the Columbia River all the time and more sturgeon fisherman on the Rainy should be doing it.

3Rivers

Put a bouy on the end of your anchor line. When you hook up, detach and throw the bouy in, and free drift with the sturgeon. It’s a heck of a lot more fun fighting the fish and not the current. It’s also better on the fish overall because you’re not stressing it for half an hour or more. When you’re all done landing the fish and taking photos, run back up river to your bouy/anchor line, and your back on your exact spot again. This technique is done on the Columbia River all the time and more sturgeon fisherman on the Rainy should be doing it.

It does work great in certain situations, especially to hold your anchor position, or in really heavy current but overall I’m not sure this is a best practice for Lake Sturgeon on our inland waters. If you have appropriate size gear, even the biggest fish should only take about 10 min or less. Anything more than 10 minutes and you should probably upsize your gear. I can’t imagine the chaos with 50 boats out in 4 Mile Bay using this buoy technique when a big run of fish comes through and every third boat is hooked up. Not to mention that, but the border patrol does not appreciate boats drifting or floating into Canada. I have firsthand experience with that one.
    Bringing a “green” fish into the boat is not recommended either, so a controlled fight against the anchored boat helps with that too.

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

I believe last year they would not allow any bait to cross the border. That included crawlers. I doubt they will they ever allow any bait to cross the border again. Not sure how crawlers ever posed a Covid threat? Also NO sturgeon fishing on the Canada side of the river at all.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Also NO sturgeon fishing on the Canada side of the river at all.

Well, that answers that. Thanks

grizzly
    nebraska

Yep walleye fishing can be better on Canadian side cause of less boats but you have to do there covid crap to go there. The outdoor cards for crossing are done

B-man

Yep <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye The outdoor cards for crossing are done

Wrong again Grizzly.

Everyone still needs an outdoors card.

However, an RABC is longer needed (and hasn’t been for a few years) for fishing across the border, IF YOU ARE NOT ANCHORING, MOORING OR TOUCHING CANADIAN SOIL.

You need a Canadian license, an Outdoors Card, and proof of full vaccination.

If you were not allowed in Canada prior to the omitting of the RABC, you still aren’t either. Felonies and DWIs are still a no-go.

grizzly
    nebraska

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>grizzly wrote:</div>
    Yep <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye The outdoor cards for crossing are done

Wrong again Grizzly.

Everyone still needs an outdoors card.

However, an RABC is longer needed (and hasn’t been for a few years) for fishing across the border, IF YOU ARE NOT ANCHORING, MOORING OR TOUCHING CANADIAN SOIL.

You need a Canadian license, an Outdoors Card, and proof of full vaccination.

If you were not allowed in Canada prior to the omitting of the RABC, you still aren’t either. Felonies and DWIs are still a no-go.

yep I meant you couldn’t just put in on the Minnesota side and have outdoors card and Canadian license like before. You got to go through customs And have covid vacation and test

B-man

No, you don’t need to go through customs and have a test. Just carry proof with you (according to the agent I spoke with).

You do need to test and check in if you’re going to touch Canadian soil, anchor, moor, etc.

grizzly
    nebraska

Yep. Sorry I just don’t clarify enough. It was just nice the way it used to be.

grizzly
    nebraska

How many of you guys got checked by a warden last spring and how were they as far as friendly?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I get checked every year. They always seem to do a thorough but respectful inspection. I’ve seen them write tickets or warnings but never to us.

TMF89

If you’re serious about walleyes, you might want to consider the Canadian side. There are some negatives that others have already gone through, but the single best instance of walleye fishing I’ve ever had was up there on the Canadian side a few years back. We went through several packages of Moxies and Pulse-Rs, and I couldn’t tell you how many fish we caught. I can tell you that the fishing was so hot and heavy that we didn’t bother measuring or photographing anything that looked under 26″. My buddy caught his personal best three times in an hour, with the last one being just shy of 30″.

As far as the sturgeon go, I would highly recommend it. There’s nothing quite like watching a five foot long fish fly almost completely out of the water and do a partial barrel roll while she waves goodbye with her tail and heads downriver. Or realizing you’re fighting a fish so strong that the back of the boat is actually starting to swing upriver against the current.

I’d at least prepare to be able to pull your anchor or detach from it, in case you really do get a monster, or it starts circling the boat and rubbing against your anchor line. We’ve had fish hooked up in the middle of giant ice flows and had to chase the fish around them before, too.

grizzly
    nebraska

I get checked every year. They always seem to do a thorough but respectful inspection. I’ve seen them write tickets or warnings but never to us.

fished the river last spring for 17 days and got checked 4 times,always had everything in order and ready for them and 3 of the times they were great people to deal with and shoot the breeze but the 4th time 1 of the guys was a total jerk

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.