First Ice Walleye of the 2014/2015 Ice Season

• Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I am a back water pan fisherman for the most part… so you can imagine my surprise when I pull this guy out of a backwater lake in 6 fow !!!

And I got a great pic and a release shot !!!

My personal best for the year !!!!

Attachments:
    1. 20141128_155104.jpg

2. 20141128_155155.jpg

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Gotta start somewhere! On another note what lure are you using?

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

That is called a Lil Cecil

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

Where are some good walleye lakes around the twin cities? I lived in duluth the last 7 years and moved to the cities last year and had a hard time finding the walters!! I fished Bald Eagle and Clear lake mostly with really no luck besides houndreds of dinky pan fish… Where the fish at?

Nic Barker
    Central WI-Northern IL

Gotta Love those Lil-Cecil’s

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Where are some good walleye lakes around the twin cities? I lived in duluth the last 7 years and moved to the cities last year and had a hard time finding the walters!! I fished Bald Eagle and Clear lake mostly with really no luck besides houndreds of dinky pan fish… Where the fish at?

North of duluth devil Couple million people around here make it tough to find walleye.

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

haha I hear ya there, but theres gotta be some good fish out there

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Nicholas,

Lots of good metro walleye lakes. Waconia, Minnetonka, just to name a few.

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

I was down in the Twin Cities for Thanksgiving and the wife let me go fishing on Saturday… Friday I spent some time using Google Maps and the MN DNR Lakefinder, and the Navionics app to figure out which lake I wanted to fish and where I was going to fish on it. It sure isn’t like fishing up here in Ely, but I got a nice walleye topside for a few photos before releasing her. Because of the pressure the Metro receives, you likely won’t find a soul that will tell you where they caught the fish, but with a little bit of time and effort, you can get on them for yourself.

Attachments:
    1. image.jpg

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

Nice fish Ben,

Ill get on them sooner or later! Any tips as to what you all have them hitting on? Up in duluth a red buckshot with a minnow head did wonders. Whats more popular in the cities area jigging or set lines?

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

I was fishing in the metro too and pulled out a pretty nice one on Friday.

Attachments:
    1. walleye.jpg

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Nicholas, I was using a #7 pink uv jigging rap to call fish in… The screen would light up like a Christmas tree but they wouldn’t commit, so once I had fish there I would pull up quickly and drop down a 1/12oz pink UV Tumbler that I had rigged up on another rod… She met it on the drop 4 feet off the bottom! The fish wouldn’t touch the dead stick.

Didn’t mean to hijack your thread Dave

Ryan Lommen
    Twin Cities

Nicholas, I was using a #7 pink uv jigging rap to call fish in… The screen would light up like a Christmas tree but they wouldn’t commit, so once I had fish there I would pull up quickly and drop down a 1/12oz pink UV Tumbler that I had rigged up on another rod… She met it on the drop 4 feet off the bottom! The fish wouldn’t touch the dead stick.

Didn’t mean to hijack your thread Dave

Ben,

Does that work often when walleye ice fishing? Call them in with something like a rip n rap and then as soon as you mark fish, drop something more appetizing down there?

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

It does, sometimes the fish swims off before you get back down, but I do everything I can to entice them to hit the jigging rap first. When they swim slowly back down to the bottom and don’t rise back up after an aggressive jigging stroke 3-4 feet off the bottom, that’s when I pull the swap! If I have 2 holes next to each other (which I seldom do) I’ll have the less aggressive bait down there and work my “call” bait. When a fish comes in and doesn’t commit to the call bait, I lift the other bait and practice a more subtle cadence.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Surprise,surprise waytogo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.