Fine For Fishing Out of Season??

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

What’s the fine for fishing out of season in MN?

B-man

Probably more than you’d want to pay lol

Did you see someone or are you asking for a friend?

KPE
    River Falls, WI

The fines are ridiculous and MN DNR is not to be trusted, they will hang you out to dry even if they think you’re doing something they don’t like and you’re legal.

I would stick to panfish until the season opens. Or fish a border water which will have different seasons from the rest of the state inland waters.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The fines are ridiculous and MN DNR is not to be trusted, they will hang you out to dry even if they think you’re doing something they don’t like and you’re legal.

Spoken from experience, eh?

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

The question comes from anticipated shut down of opener by Comrade Walz.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Then by all means go fishing. If they sell a million license your chances of getting caught are about one in a million.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Wait, what!? Please provide link to potential closure. I have not read that yet.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

Wait, what!? Please provide link to potential closure. I have not read that yet.

Only my personal anticipation…speculation.

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

It has happened or is happening all over the country. It’s only a matter of time Walz follows the other clowns. With “Opener” coming up somethings going to happen. I NEVER in a million years thought Washington state would stop people from fishing rivers via waders on foot 100 yards away from the next guy but yep- happened there and a bunch of guide buddies out of work.

Coletrain27

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishinfreaks wrote:</div>

Then by all means go fishing. If they sell a million license your chances of getting caught are about one in a million.

If your one of the only people fishing your chances of a ticket are pretty good I would say ???

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>suzuki wrote:</div>

If it happens hop in with B-man he has a plan!

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

How in the world is there going to be a shut down on the opener? Just no fishing allowed I suppose is the only way to do it. If that happens all the money the state makes on fishing is gone… it would throw everything into a tailspin. The ecology for the fisheries, the economy, the mental health of many residents, seriously, it is not goji g to happen. I would be more worried on how they are going to regulate where you can fish. I see them putting a travel ban for x miles from home to fish. But how will they allow for cabin owners to prove they own a cabin and are x miles from it where they are fishing… the entire this is going to need some careful consideration before they make any decisions. People are getting stir crazy, mental health is being talked about just as much as the actual virus… when the weather gets nice, people will be out about enjoying the outdoors. I can almost promise it. It is the safest activity that is allowable to keep the public healthy.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Spoken from experience, eh?
    [/quote]

Spoken from observation, I’ve never had a fishing citation but I’ve witnessed several. And a general contempt for the MN DNR which does nothing for conservation and exists solely to generate income by doling out fines. I’ve seen how they function as I’ve been inside, and it helped guide my career away from government and into the private sector. So I guess I’m grateful for that opportunity.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

What makes Minnesota different than other states is citizens have the Constitutional Right to hunt and fish. The Governor does not have the power to change that. It would take the legislature to vote it through then a Connotational amendment passed by voters.. The governor is aware of this Constitutional Right and has no plans to close fishing.

-J.

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>fishinfreaks wrote:</div>

If it happens hop in with B-man he has a plan!

Yeah buddy toast

You’re welcome to join!

I’ve got a long handled net, we can practice social distancing in the boat lol

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Don’t want opener cancelled? Stop piling into a 16 foot boat with 4 of your buddies!

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

If they try to shut down opener, I’ll return my fishing license. Just kidding, I’ll be fish regardless if they try to shut it down.

toddrun

The Gov’r can and I believe will follow like a sheep and will close down boating and/or fishing for the opener. At best, lake property owners will be able to use their lakes, but boat access will be closed, and visitors will not be allowed to cabins, to keep socializing at a minimum, and bait stores if allowed to be open will need to do curb side pickup.

And my guess, if any of this goes in to place, fines for offenders will be steep to set an example.

sji

If the fine doesn’t sting what’s the point of a fine? Without it what keeps the few from taking dozens of fish over a limit?
    When I asked I was told the Governors opener is cancelled. Fishing season is not.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

There will definitely be an opener at the EPG dock. Everyone’s welcome however there are caveats.
    1) Must drink Corona and/or Bourbon.
    2) Must have an IDO hoodie.
    3) Must bite the head off the first walleye. “u ever bite the head off a 30’er?”
    4) Must be able to BS
    5) Must be a Viking fan or or any other NFL team
    6) Must be able to discuss global warmning
    7) Must have answers to the Mille Lacs debacle.
    8) Must have a solution to AIS

Cigar smoking is optional

We can do rock, paper, scissors to see who pays the fine . (If Applicable.)

Am I missing anything?

toddrun

Wisconsin’s opener is May 2nd, so I think that will foreshadow what MN will do a week ahead of time.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I bought a house on a lake so I could fish whenever I want. Will I get a property tax refund?

How could I possibly put anyone in danger by going out in my front yard?

Attachments:
    1. 20200414_115423.jpg

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Never go full Michigan! )

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

There will definitely be an opener at the EPG dock. Everyone’s welcome however there are caveats.
    3) Must bite the head off the first walleye. “u ever bite the head off a 30’er?”
    4) Must be able to BS

Am I missing anything?

Ya………..I was with ya until number 5. Any them guys to the east show up I be out. wink

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

4) Must be able to BS

Am I missing anything?

Send out the E-Vite……I’m in/

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

4) Must be able to BS

Am I missing anything?

what about must supply your own T.P. waytogo toast

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

What makes Minnesota different than other states is citizens have the Constitutional Right to hunt and fish. The Governor does not have the power to change that. It would take the legislature to vote it through then a Connotational amendment passed by voters.. The governor is aware of this Constitutional Right and has no plans to close fishing.

Thanks for posting this Jon. I knew this to be the case with hunting and fishing in our state.

I do think that fishing season/opener will look a lot different than it normally does. There has already been guidance about fishing “close to home” but it has not been specific enough. I think there will be an announcement that indicates a distance (maybe something like 30 or 60 miles from your primary residence) and there might be a limit on the number of people in a boat too, or something like that. I personally do not believe fishing opener and/or the season will be closed, and the governor and DNR Commissioner have clearly indicated that.

If we start to see issues with too many people in boats, at accesses, etc then they might shut down certain lakes or accesses in a piecemeal approach like they have at the Rainy River and Green Bay. If you have a long distance trip planned or a trip to Canada planned this season, I would not expect to go on that until at least July at the earliest.

steve k
    buffalo co. wi.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>eelpoutguy wrote:</div>
    4) Must be able to BS

Am I missing anything?

Ya………..I was with ya until number 5. Any them guys to the east show up I be out. wink

oh I see how you are we be from the east so you like us the least frown chased toast

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Honestly? A fine for fishing out of season?

Both the MN and WI DNR have made it clear to me this spring that they don’t care if people are targeting out of season fish on the St. Croix River so why would they care on any other lake or river?

***EDIT*** I reiterate that statement “Both the MN and WI DNR have made it clear to me this spring that they don’t care if people are targeting out of season fish on the St. Croix River”

What they told me is that if I see this happening to call 911. I told them why would I call 911 when I’m telling you NOW that this happens on a daily basis. They then proceeded to tell me they don’t have the man power to patrol. Every time I walk Point Douglas Park I witness people intentionally targeting and catching walleye plus countless numbers of boats on the Croix targeting walleye. Both MN & WI DNR don’t give a rip, they’re too busy on pool 4 telling people their boat registration tags are expired

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 145 total)

The topic ‘Fine For Fishing Out of Season??’ is closed to new replies.