Field dressing knife – Fixed or Folding

• Bullheadfinder

What do you guys like better? I have always been a fixed blade guy, but got a sweet new folder as a Christmas gift and I am excited to try it out. What do you bring with on your hunts?

For the last three or four seasons I used a Puma Blacktail. Would recommend that knife to anyone. Solid, comfortable fit, and a good looking knife to boot.

ajw

Havalon paranta is my new fav. It’s like a scalpel. Crazy sharp. Easy skinning and deboning in the field.

I see havalon has some other options now that look even better.

For a in the field knife being able to replace the blade instantly is darn handy.

I still do like a nice feeling/looking knife just like a nice rifle. But those Havalons are awesome

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

I’ve got a buck 110 folding knife , good knife , gutted an skun a lot of deer with it but it’s kind of a pain to clean the next day.

catmando
    wis

I tend to hurt myself on a semi-regular basis. I, tend to use a fixed blade, less chance for things to go south. I do like those Havalons, guy at work caped out a buck I shot , zip zip done. whistling

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Fixed, Case Leather handle, I have both the 5″ and 6″.
    CASE
    Best knife to own! jmo

I ment to add, I cut up through the center of the rib cage without much upward pressure. Nice blade size to go around the anis too for a clean field dress.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I have a folding Kershaw that’s about as sharp as a scalpel and makes short work of field dressing. I don’t split rib cages or the pelvis in the field as that creates more sharp things to get cut on when your hands are the filthiest so I don’t need a fixed blade.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I prefer a folding knife because it’s safer when the blade isn’t exposed and it saves space in my my pack. I currently use a Gerber knife with a rubberized handle for better grip when wet. I should note that I do not skin deer, I only use it for field dressing them and cleaning birds.

CBMN
    North Metro

I have a folding Kershaw that’s about as sharp as a scalpel and makes short work of field dressing. I don’t split rib cages or the pelvis in the field as that creates more sharp things to get cut on when your hands are the filthiest so I don’t need a fixed blade.

X2 Exactly what I use and how I field dress. I have a lightweight Kershaw with a frame that is easy to rinse out quickly after use. I also like the folder as it goes in my pocket just like keys and wallet First thing in the morning so it has never been forgotten.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I prefer. Fixed. I do have both a folding and fixed that I carry, what I have found is that I keep going smaller in sizes.

My appeal to the fixed is the handle. Much better grip, better indexing, and much easier to handle with gloves and wet/fat on my hands

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I have always used fixed blades. For about 30 years, I’ve used a Schrade Sharpfinger, I like the shape of the blade and the grip. It takes a keen edge that lasts just fine.

My experience has been that I’ve never had any issues with getting or keeping a knife sharp, so I’ve never felt the need for replaceable blades. As with any tool, once I learned to recognize the signs that the knife is dulling, a simple touch up with a sharpener that weighs 1 ounce puts the edge back. Sharpening is easy and fast when you do it before you totally destroy the edge first.

what I have found is that I keep going smaller in sizes.

Totally agree, I’ve gotten rid of bigger knives, it just does not take that much of a knife to field dress a deer.

Obviously, for backcountry hunting where an animal needs to be caped and broken down, the answer as to what is needed is totally different.

Grouse

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I saw a really serious incident that happened in the deer woods where a fella fell on a snow covered slope and slid down a hill quite a ways only to hit a chuck of tree trunk jamming his fixed blade sheath knife into a kidney. The sheath inverted as he slid and the stop on the log shoved the blade thru the sheath and into his back. This happened in Whitewater valley maybe 30 years ago, closer to Weaver. Pre-cell phone days. I’ve never seen so much blood.

I was carrying a fixed blade that day and never did again after seeing this.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Always used fixed, then bought a Gerber folding… love it !

CaptainMusky

I have two outdoor edge knives, both folding and I like them. The one is the razoredge with the replaceable razor blade. Its insanely sharp. I normally dont carry the knife on me, its in my backpack.

catmando
    wis

Back in the day just about everyone put one, about this size on their hip and went hunting!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20200113_092724.jpg

watisituya
    North Metro

Fixed, easier to clean the knife for me. I use the KOA Cub Bear, extremely sharp and precise. It is small which i believe is a lot easier to use. My knife came as a kit with the Bush knife as well, if I didn’t always have a small hatchet for the rib cage id use the Bush knife to cut through the ribs the Cub bear for everything else.

Attachments:
    1. KOA.jpg

AnotherFisherman

I’ve got a Buck 110 Folding knife. Gets the job done for me. Agree with previous post about it being a B*$@h to clean.

rutandstrut

I used a folding to just keep in a small pocket of my pack but it can be tough to clean the mung out of the knife

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Currently I take advantage of all three. I usually have a 110 folder and a Buck 102 Woodsman that are usually in my pack, along with a Worksharp field sharpener. I have one of the Gerber replaceable blade knives that works great for skinning specifically.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

Depends what animal youre using it on. If you ever see yourself Elk hunting, fixed is a requirement- especially in the backcountry. Their skin is so tough that a it could actually snap a folding blade right clear off the handle. Then what?! I bought a fixed benchmade saddle mountain skinner and absolutely love it. Will be doing some research and buying a set of replaceable hunting blades before my next hunt though. I’ve heard they are a godsend when breaking down a big animal like an elk, moose, or one of them old muley bucks.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I agree with tbro16 on the need for a high quality fixed blade knife for moose and elk.

Once in the hanging stage, a good skinner is handy to have. I found this Gerber at a garage sale for $1.50 and they came down to a buck.

This knife makes fast work of peeling a hide off even if its half frozen on the carcass. Super sharp and easy to keep that way.

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

The folding ones are nice to just keep on you for whatever, but I prefer fixed blades just because I’ve had several problems with the blade coming loose (you can tighten it, but it’s no fun doing that when you’re out. It’s also annoying to get little bits and pieces stuck in the joint.

tornadochaser

I carry a Scheels drop point skinner fixed blade and a little pelvis saw in my pack. I’ve used that combo on 15-20 deer now and don’t think I’ll ever use the 3-blade folder (blade, zipper hook, saw), or my big old buck knife ever again. The scheels knife is a good blend of size, edge retention, and good grip.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.