Favorite Musky Lures

• joneser
    Inactive

I’m wondering what are some of everyone’s favorite musky lures?

Here are a few of my favorite. The body on them is 7″ so I tied some stuff to the back treble to make it count as part of the lure and get them to the legal length of 8″ in order to night troll.

I’m asking for recommendations since I haven’t caught a single musky with any of these yet. All I’ve caught are lots of walleyes. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong???

grin

P.S. the beer can wasn’t one of mine….not a fan of bud so no need to rip me for drinking that swill.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20201022-095632_Gallery.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I’m asking for recommendations since I haven’t caught a single musky with any of these yet. All I’ve caught are lots of walleyes. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong???

You’re probably not doing anything wrong. There’s a lot more walleyes in the lake than there is muskies, so naturally you will catch more of those using a lure they both might take.

Most guys will probably say that a buck tail of some kind is their favorite muskie lure. Mine is a Musky Mayhem Cyco Spinnerbait. Thorne Brothers has some custom color combinations of these. My second favorite is probably a big plastic of some kind, either a bull dawg or a medussa.

I did not catch a pure strain muskie this season, but I did catch 4 tiger muskies, including one very large one that I had a replica made of.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I did not catch a pure strain <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>muskie this season, but I did catch 4 tiger muskies, including one very large one that I had a replica made of.

gimruis – Any pictures of that Large Tiger Muskie – I love the color on those things.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

gimruis – Any pictures of that Large Tiger Muskie – I love the color on those things.

The big one I caught in June and the other one was the last one I caught in early October. I was by myself so all I could do was take a photo of it on the measuring stick.

Attachments:
    1. 10-2-20-tiger-muskie-2.jpg

2. tiger-muskie-horizontal.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

You’re probably not doing anything wrong.

I think you missed the “humor” of the post. He is not fishing for musky, he is getting around the 10pm walleye closure rules.

Right or wrong is up for debate.

-J.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Joneser, do you just troll for them? Try trolling with a Rapala Super Shad or big game twitch bait, storm flatstick, slammer minnow, or grandma.

Top water: Big Mama Obnoxious B
    Jerkbait: Phantom
    Crankbait: Homemade bucktail

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I think you missed the “humor” of the post. He is not fishing for musky, he is getting around the 10pm walleye closure rules.

I figured that would be the case since those are some small lures for fall muskies.

Deuces

I emailed the DNR for clarity last fall whether a treble would count for total inches on the lure and they said no.

I could care less, just an FYI. I say have at it man! toast

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

I figured that would be the case since those are some small lures for fall muskies.

If it was up to me (which in this case it isn’t but figured I’d “chump” in anyway)…

…I’d be trolling one of these Hookem Holloway lures during the day.

I’ll take a 40 lb muskie caught in the afternoon over a 4 lb walleye caught at midnight any day of the week. laugh

Attachments:
    1. Hookem-Holloway.jpg

joneser
    Inactive

I emailed the DNR for clarity last fall whether a treble would count for total inches on the lure and they said no.

I could care less, just an FYI. I say have at it man! toast

Plain treble hooks? Look again, those aren’t plain trebles. waytogo

What’s a bucktail? Does the part of the lure comprised of deer hair over the hook not count?

It most certainly does count. Just like my treble hooks count since they have over an inch of hair and streamers as an attracting part of the lure. It’s no different than an X-rap.

There’s no stipulation stating the lure has to be 8″ solid in one piece. It can be jointed 2,3, or 4 times to get to 8.” It can be 8″ of hair over a hook. Did you know that if you put a small blade above a treble hook it’s then no longer a treble hook, it’s a lure, so you can use it for quick set rigs on tip-ups.

I’m surprised more people don’t do it. It’s 100% legal. I’d contend they’re stupid laws in the first place that stem from bureaucratic red tape much more than they exist as a necessary means of protecting the resource.

There’s a bazillion laws in MN. Land of 10,000 laws. I’ll stop following the law to a “T” despite it being questionable regarding whether or not it’s the intent of the law just as soon as they stop writing stupid laws.

joneser
    Inactive

FYI the last time I was out trolling past 10pm with them was 2018. It might have even been 2017.

In my opinion Mille Lacs or most lakes don’t have much of a night bite. If forced to pick the last hour of light or all night to fish I’m going to pick the last hour of light every time. With one of the fall full moons being maybe the only exception.

Ironically, there also used to be a perch colored Rap the same size with an x-rap style back treble I did up too. I lost it after 15 minutes of fighting something huge the last night I was out there night trolling. I have zero doubts it was a muskie. 12lbs fluorocarbon just couldn’t hack it. Although my biggest muskue was on 8lbs mono, sr-5, and no leader, just a snap swivel. So it can be done, and it’s a lot easier to be done in the daylight.

smirk

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

In my opinion Mille Lacs or most lakes don’t have much of a night bite.

Whoa whoa whoa joneser. Isn’t the reason they have a night closure is because the fishing is too good at night time and they need to cut down on numbers? When there wasn’t a full season night ban, I did almost all of my fishing at night time out there and it was a lot better fishing than it was during the day. I have to imagine that clear water actually benefits a night bite, and the water has significantly cleared up in that lake the past 15 years.

Its hard to pick up on whether you are being serious or sarcastic in your posts…

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Did you know that if you put a small blade above a treble hook it’s then no longer a treble hook, it’s a lure, so you can use it for quick set rigs on tip-ups.

Actually this was changed so that isn’t necessary. Those two trebles must be within 9″ for it to be considered one lure.

I can tie two jigs 9″ apart and it is considered a single lure.

Carry on.

joneser
    Inactive

I’m being serious. Early on in the season with slips and leeches it can be alright, but even then the bite doesn’t pick up after dark. You can catch them and do OK after dark, but it’s nowhere near the pace the last hour, the last half hour especially. There’s a pretty steep drop off from that to the night bite and that’s when it’s good. You get into the second half of June, July, August and the night bite is pretty slooooow.

I’ve caught walleyes one after the other, where as fast as you can get whatever I was throwing at them back down there, like catching sunfish off the dock. Every one of those instances has occurred in the daylight hours. I’ve done good at night mainly due to fishing all night. The catch rates are almost always slower at night.

I’m just going off what I’ve experienced. It sounds like you’ve just lit them up after dark…good for you. waytogo

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Ya I agree, the hour around sunset is hard to beat. I haven’t been able to fish at night in recent years so maybe its not as good as it used to be. For about a decade straight I went right at the stroke of midnight on opener and stayed out there until about 7am. Sometimes it was good, sometimes it sucked…but a couple times it was really good. It was more based on how cold or warm the water was.

The crappy thing about fishing at night in the summer is the bugs. If there aint much wind, they are everywhere. Not the biting type, just the annoying type that get into everything.

joneser
    Inactive

52″

Attachments:
    1. 20201023_062959.jpg

Deuces

can tie two jigs 9″ apart and it is considered a single lure.

This is false. Per email from DNR headquarters.

Jig is considered a lure and not a plain hook. Now you can use different baits on the different hooks, example I’m catfishing and have one hook with crawlers and other cut sucker.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Sorry to derail the thread. Joneser, I have had some CO say the feather counts and some say it doesn’t for the total length. But with the equipment you are using I would find it hard to say you were targeting anything other than walleye. Hope if you get stopped they see it your way. It’s at their discretion.

joneser
    Inactive

Ultimately it doesn’t come down to the discretion of the CO, it comes down to the discretion of a judge. It’s possible an overzealous CO would write a ticket for it, but I think it’d be pretty unlikely just going off the attitudes and demeanors of the CO’s I’ve known or encountered. Unless you’re in possession of walleyes do I think they’d have any grounds, or desire, to write you a ticket for it.

If I was cited I’d choose to get my day in court. Any judge with even a feigned respect for upholding the law is going to throw it out. There’s no legal definition of what an artificial lure is other than a hook or set of hooks combined to one “bait” used on the end of a single line. Since there isn’t a clear legal definition of what an artificial bait is, there certainly isn’t a legal definition for anything resembling how the measurement of an artificial lure is made and what constitutes their length.

I don’t see how they’d have any legal grounds to cite you. Without possession of any fish there’s no way they can declare what you were intending to catch. Intent is impossible to convict someone of when no other crimes are being committed, or they’re not in unlawful possession of any controlled wildlife, substance, or material of the state.

Quite frankly I think any judge would find not only the citation amusing but the fact that there’s nothing on the books whatsoever for a concrete legal definition of what constitutes an “artificial bait/lure” as downright comical if it becomes something the DNR is trying to use to create rules and then enforcing them. This wouldn’t be the first time I’d be unlawfully issued a citation. There have been laws changed in the past due to a CO thinking I was breaking the law, when all I was doing was breaking the comminly held perception of a law that existed that actually did not. I’m guessing they’d get some state legislator to pass something legally defining what an artificial bait is and how they’re legally measured after my citation got thrown out by an amused judge. It also wouldn’t be the first time that’s happened due to me.

That’s what’s great about the law and the DNR’s role in enforcing it. Note: “Enforcing” the law is vastly different than “Writing” the law. All the laws that we’re subject to are at our fingertips and the beauty of them is they apply to the CO just as much as they apply to us. If it doesn’t state in very black and white terms what you can and cannot do—that means you can do it. Unless/until someone writes a new law or expands upon an existing one that you no longer are legally allowed to do it.

In addition to the law the reality of a co-managed Mille Lacs is that the management outlined by the two parties is unilaterally enforced by only one party. There are a probably a lot of reasons for this but I’m guessing the biggest is cost. It’s a lot less expensive for the bands to get equal say in creating the rules but not shoulder any of the cost to enforce them. Being that the DNR is routinely miffed by the bands chopping them down at the knees when they try to increase the quota every year….well, if you don’t think that doesn’t create some resentment that results in less rigorous enforcement of restrictions put in place the DNR is very much opposed to then you’re not taking into account the human nature aspect to all of this.

Ever hear of anyone being cited for fishing walleyes during the night ban? I haven’t, and I read the “Cuffs ‘N’ Collars page of the Outdoors Weekly every week.

If you’re in charge of enforcement and there’s legal restrictions put in place that you not only dislike but were put in place against your will, how devoted do you think you’re going to be enforcing those restrictions? Are you going to be really tough or pretty soft making sure those restrictions are abided by?

If it was up to the DNR there wouldn’t be a night ban after the first two weeks of the season. Keep that in mind when trying to consider what their attitude is when it comes to having to enforce the night ban.

One last thing to mix in:

There is no hit to the quota for all the pounds of walleye that get poached. No pounds, not a one, has ever hit the quota for illegal harvest. For as much as people complain about hooking mortality there are numerous ways the amount of the state’s portion of the quota gets tallied that are advantageous. Illegal harvest accounting for zero pounds ever is by far the most beneficial in my opinion.

Don’t think that also doesn’t factor into enforcemeht.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/search/doc_result.php?search=all&keyword_type=exact&keyword=artificial+bait&stat=1&stat_year1=2019&stat_year2=2019&stat_chapter=&laws=1&laws_session1=91&laws_session2=91&laws_chapter=&rule=1&rule_year1=2020&rule_year2=2020&rule_chapter=&rule_agency%5B%5D=&court_year1=2010&court_year2=2010&court_type%5B%5D=&sreg_vol1=45&sreg_vol2=45

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20201023-204132_Hancom-Office-Editor.jpg

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.