Favorite boat mods?

• Evan Pheneger
    Hastings, MN

My favorite has been the Stealth DC charger I installed

CM, where did you buy this and what do they run ($ wise), I can’t find info online and it is intriguing but I can’t find anywhere to buy it.

Kyhl
    Savage

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>
    My favorite has been the Stealth DC charger I installed

CM, where did you buy this and what do they run ($ wise), I can’t find info online and it is intriguing but I can’t find anywhere to buy it.

Maybe this one?
    http://www.stealth1charging.com/

Minn Kota
    https://minnkotamotors.johnsonoutdoors.com/battery-chargers/board-alternator

I’m cheap and stole the power inverter out of my ice fishing gear. Threw it in the boat and run a drop cord to the onboard charger. It’s fiddly but helps extend the trolling motor batteries on long weekends without power.
    Just don’t forget to turn it off when the motor is off. Would suck to be 5-10 miles out and accidentally drain the main starting battery.

FWIW, I carry a jump pack in the boat in case the main battery dies 5+ miles out.
    Note, if going there, I would not recommend the new smaller LI jump packs. LI is adverse to water and will start on fire if wet. That is what happened to all those Android phone batteries a few years ago. They weren’t sealed well enough allowing moisture into the battery which would self ignite. Not something I would want on a boat, especially stored below the water line.

Fred Garvin

Some of these have been mentioned already, here’s mine:
    EZEE steps with the Retractable Grab Pole – Jacked my back up last year, was in the chiropractor 3x a week mid April through June, twisted ankles years prior, won’t have another boat with out them.
    Drotto boat latch system – makes launching/loading by myself easy, this and the EZEE steps were added last year – love them both.
    Cisco tracks with Flobe rod holders.
    Cisco electronics mounts
    Minnkota Terrova w/ iPilot Link / Humminbirds
    Ram mount for iPilot remote at console
    On-board charger
    LED trailer lights
    Goodyear Endurance tires
    I may add LED lights with dimmer inside, we’ll see.
    All compartments and live-wells already have them.
    My Wedge motor support and centering clips – not looking for the debate
    for these versus transom saver, I’ve used both…

carmike

Awesome suggestions, guys. I’m impressed by the ideas..Why isn’t it April yet?!?

….Because we’ve got PLENTY of ice fishing left, that’s why. )

carmike

I have a Alumacraft Trophy also and while it has ample rod storage, I wanted a place to store rods when fishing. I added a 4 place rod holder between the rear jump seats. Usually it has 2- 3 rods and the landing net in it while running to the fishing spots.

I was thinking about throwing either a cargo net on that space to hold loose tackle boxes, especially during trolling runs, or adding a small LED light near the floor to light it up while out after dark.

Has anyone added velcro straps up on the top gunnel for short-term rod storage. Or maybe that’s a terrible idea. Good way to lose a rod or two.

Kyhl
    Savage

I like those wide gunwales.
    They get a lot of use on my rig.
    I…..
    step on them,
    walk on them,
    sit on them,
    put beverages on them,
    put tackle on them,
    lay rods on them when bobber fishing,
    stage stuff on them when loading unloading,

my dogs…
    walk on them,
    sit on them,
    lay in the sun on them,
    etc….

It’s basically another table where you can put stuff temporarily.

I suggest using the boat for a season before you modify the gunwales. You might find that you like stepping on them, in which case, putting rods or rails on them will reduce all those other uses.

I did add a vertical rod holder to the back of my Tourney. It really needs more.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Yamaha T8 I have the rest already now I can add my Ulterra with I-Pilot Link as my 2 favorite things I have put on my boat.

carmike

I suggest using the boat for a season before you modify the gunwales. You might find that you like stepping on them, in which case, putting rods or rails on them will reduce all those other uses.

I was only thinking about adding two big velcro straps–one for near the reels, one for near the rod tips–for short-term storage when running between spots; the rods wouldn’t be there except for the run. But yeah, I initially didn’t really like the idea of the wide gunnels, but the more I hear people talking about them, I’m thinking I’ll warm to them.

But I do totally hear you re: not making major mods until I’ve had the boat for a while.

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.