Fall River Baits

• Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Getting to be that time of year when the big shad start showing up and the big mama’s start eating big baits. What are everyone’s go to fall baits? Here are my top 5:

1) Big stick baits…HJ12/14 and big rattling Rogues.
    2) #7 Rapala jointed raps. I don’t like the 5’s in the fall but where the water is deep enough a 7 is tough to beat banging off the rocks.
    3) Rapala Shadow Rap deep…not a lot of people use these but they are deadly because of their action. #9 or 11 is the go to.
    4) Sucker minnows on a light jig. Something around 5 inches seems about right.
    5) Big paddle tails. A minimum of 4” but something in the 5-6” range with a lot of tail action.

Honorable mention goes to big rattle baits or blade baits.

isu22andy

I’ve tried the HJ 14 with no avail . Ripping raps and blades have gotten me a few with the confidence definitely for blades for me . . What big plastics are you using ? Seems like they never make the jigs with a long enough shank for the big ones . Maybe I need to start casting larger baits in those balls on Pool 4 . Plenty of shad balls out there tonight . Couldn’t find the eyes . Was 20 miles from the dam crowd .

Deuces

Good post Matt

Still figuring out P2, but north of you guys I’m a HJ clown guy with ringworms a close second.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.