Fall Ontario Lake Trout Resort Recommendations

• B-man

Thinking about taking the boys to a smaller drive-to inland lake trout lake. Cheap resort or we’re open to camping as well.

It would be for a quick Friday-Sunday trip.

Any recommendations for something that’s within 5 hours or so of Duluth??

walleyesforme

Not a small lake but we have done the fall trout thing on Lake Nipigon a few times. It is an absolute blast catching huge lake trout casting shallow with walleye gear.

Krh129

Here are 3 ideas not necessarily in any order

Browns Clearwater West near Aitikokan my kid has fished it and done well

Trout Lake next to Vermilion can be good but is limited to 25 hp motors it is part of the BWCA

Whitefish Bay on Lake of the Woods we go in there in spring via the turtle portage and have done well

dirtywater

Trout Lake next to Vermilion can be good but is limited to 25 hp motors it is part of the BWCA

I would pass. Lake Trout season closes September 30 in MN and we never really get cold enough in September to get a good shallow water bite in my experience. I would also put Saganaga or Gunflint ahead of Trout Lake on my list.

OG Net_Man

I would suggest Crystal Beach Resort in Atikokan. This lake is not too large and it has mainly lake trout and smallmouth. The location of this lake/resort is close to many other lakes to trailer to. The bulk of these lakes hold mainly smallmouth and walleye but there is another lake with a fishable trout population close by that is not too large. I do not recall the name of this lake…

In review today it looks like there are new owners since the last time that I was there.

walleyesforme

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Krh129 wrote:</div>

I would pass. <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Lake Trout season closes September 30 in MN and we never really get cold enough in September to get a good shallow water bite in my experience. I would also put Saganaga or Gunflint ahead of Trout Lake on my list.

X2 on the hard pass on Trout Lake. One place I’ll never go to again. One time was one to many.

orve4

Whitefish Bay on Lake of the Woods we go in there in spring via the turtle portage and have done well.

The great part of this you can stay near Moroson or other places close around and fish other species. The crappie fishing and Musky fishing that time of the year are excellent. I actually stay close to turtle lake lake its the island with the giant totem pole.

A couple springs ago the re did the portage and it is so nice. We portaged across and fished for a couple hours had a few bites but no luck. Was our first time on the lake what a difference between the two parts of the lake.

tswoboda

If you’re OK with hitting the easy button and a place right off the highway, I’d for sure go to LOTW WFB and stay at Crawfords. Matt should point you in the right direction. Really similar to Crow but with good mapping

I would suggest Crystal Beach Resort in Atikokan. This lake is not too large and it has mainly lake trout and smallmouth. The location of this lake/resort is close to many other lakes to trailer to. The bulk of these lakes hold mainly smallmouth and <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye but there is another lake with a fishable trout population close by that is not too large. I do not recall the name of this lake…

In review today it looks like there are new owners since the last time that I was there.

Nice place, the new owners are great, and the endless number of walleye/smallmouth lakes nearby are a blast. But there’s no way I’d recommend Crystal as a destination for lake trout

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.