What is a good jigging rod for walleye?

• brocket
    michigan

I was looking for a fair priced jigging rod for the detroit river this spring. Does anyone have any sugestions on what to go with. Looking for something under 150$
    Thanks in advance

Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

Fenwick carries the Walley Elite-Tech, in a Jigging pkg…………$170. Their nice mid-range rods.

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Myself, I like a 6′ or 6’3″ medium with extra fast tip. Shimano has a pretty good one for around $100 and St. Croix has a couple in your price range. Personally, I prefer cork the whole lenth of the handle. A lot of guys like 6’6″ and 7′ rods, I don’t.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Thorne Bros makes a rod built on a rainshadow blank for about $140. It will definantely be my next walleye rod.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Lots of great rod options these days no doubt.

If you are fishing the Detroit river, I am guessing you might be using some heavier jig weights? Will you be using a hardline or mono ?I would want to make sure you get the right sized tool for the job it is going to asked to accomplish .

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Quote:

Thorne Bros makes a rod built on a rainshadow blank for about $140. It will definantely be my next walleye rod.

I was looking at those also

trphyhuntr
    Pierce/ St. Croix Cty

Look into the Scheels Legend Elite 6′ very nice rod with a lifetime warranty.(150.00 or less) I have had to return a couple of rods, No questions and the were happy to help me. Its very convenient.

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I think it depends mostly on what type of jig fishing you do. For vertical applications, St Croix has the 6’3″ and 5’9″ rods, both in Avid graphite which are excellent for up and down jigging, but if you plan on pitching, you’re going to want a longer rod. The 6’8″ medium in extra fast or the 6’9″ in med light extra fast are peaches, and are also both available in Avids that would fit your budget. Good luck and I hope this helps!

brocket
    michigan

Anyone heard if the Fenwick Techna AV is a good rod for vertical jigging?

yellowdog
    Alma Wi

you can get a Limit Creek smoothie, 6’9″ ml fast for around a $100 bucks. I just picked one up yesterday and was very pleased with the quality to price ratio. you can get them at Everts in Red Wing or Schrieners in Alma I’m sure either would ship to you

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

for vertical jigging the heavy current of the Detroit river..both have great warrantees and cost about $100.
    Shimano Compre 63MXF
    St. Croix Eyecon 63MXF

walleyebill1
    Nebraska

The walleye angler series at Bass Pro Shops is a good rod for the money. I believe recently they have a sale running $79. I would also reccomend scheels rods which are St. Croix blanks anyway and have the lifetime warranty.

scott_taylor
    SE Michigan

Quote:

The walleye angler series at Bass Pro Shops is a good rod for the money. I believe recently they have a sale running $79. I would also reccomend scheels rods which are St. Croix blanks anyway and have the lifetime warranty.

I fish the Detroit River and I use the BPS Walleye Angler Series rods both are 5’9″ medium w/fast action tip. A couple yrs. ago they ran for $70 bucks. I like a shorter rod for jiggin nice and compact and get a quick hook set. The other element I like is the weight in the handle to counter the weight of the jig which makes for a perfectly balanced rod helping give more sensitivity. I have the Shimano Sedona 1000FD spooled up with 10lb fireline and a fluoro leader……some tie direct. I usually run a 5/8 oz. jig head 90% of the time unless I’m fishing deep holes then I’ll use 3/4 oz.

I couldn’t be happier with this set up, light and compact. It’s almost go time

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.