Opener 2009 – Mille Lacs

• kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Our crew gained some new faces and few others couldn’t make it. All in all, another fantastic opener. I think fishing on Mille Lacs was average for numbers, but the size was up for sure. One boat in our group had the big fish dialed in. They paid the price for lack of sleep, but they were rewarded rather generously with an almost unbelievable amount of fish over 24″ long. I believe they passed the 28″ mark 3 times this weekend.

The area appeared to get a nice economic shot in the arm so to speak. Last time I remember the lake this busy was at least 5 years ago. Hopefully this bite holds up over the next couple months.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Good seeing ya up here Kooty! Just got off the water. Overall a pretty good bite. We are getting a lot of overs during the day. Got into the slots pretty good last night on a close to shore rock pile that topped out at 6 feet. Non-stop action once the sun hit the horizon. All in all an above average opener for my boat. Got through the weekend without breaking anything!!!

Couple shots from yesterday and today.

-J.

burbob
    Hastings,MN

had some long blinks on the way home but we made it. Nice to see you guys this weekend, we had a great time. Nice to meet you jon and nice pic of you and the hound. By the way if you don’t know jons dog learned a new trick this weekend, just squeeze his foot and say “bye-bye”, its pretty cool.

kooty
    Keymaster

Only Chucker….

Dan and you must really be mad at those fish to go that hard.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

just squeeze his foot and say “bye-bye”, its pretty cool.

-J.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

Only Chucker….

Dan and you must really be mad at those fish to go that hard.

Mad is not the right word for us Kooty, Just plain old stupid fits a little better We were fine after our 32nd wind!! I’ll throw a few pics of the hogs up tonight. And yes,good to see you guy’s again

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Koots,

How’d the new light-up rod-n-reel work for you???

deertracker

Save some fish for me Jon, I will be up tuesday after work.
    DT

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

One boat in our group had the big fish dialed in. They paid the price for lack of sleep, but they were rewarded rather generously with an almost unbelievable amount of fish over 24″ long. I believe they passed the 28″ mark 3 times this weekend.

From a very reliable source I heard the best presentation for this boat was to run 3-ways and blade baits behind planer boards out on the mud flats

Josh

jh55429
    Crystal, MN

Quote:

Koots,

How’d the new light-up rod-n-reel work for you???

That was one of the funiest things I saw all weekend!!! I couldn’t stop laughing when I saw him pull that out right after sunset on Saturday evening. Josh

kooty
    Keymaster

Sadly, the new rod/reel combo did not catch a fish this weekend. However, I looked FANTASTIC using it. She’s pretty bright at night.

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Quote:

Sadly, the new rod/reel combo did not catch a fish this weekend. However, I looked FANTASTIC using it. She’s pretty bright at night.

And so are you Kooty

fancypants
    Hastings

Quote:

I’ll throw a few pics of the hogs up tonight.

Yeah lets see some hogs!

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

They are up little fella

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.