Braid vs Mono

• tgruenke
    IGH, MN/Holcombe, WI

After fishing with a guide last fall and using his set up with braid with a flouro leader I was amazed at the sensitivity in deep water especially the hook set capability. The lake I typically fish isn’t very deep. We typically fish 20 fow or less. Often we are pitching jigs and bouncing them back to the boat. Would you stick with just mono or flouro or would I benefit from braid? If so what do you reccommend. Thanks in advance.

FryDog62

I think you could use any line in your situation. However, I like the versatility of having the main line as braid. You can tie a leader on of either fluorocarbon or mono and switch out depending on how you are fishing. A mono like Berkely XT would be a good leader if you need something low stretch and very strong, abrasion resistant (wood, rocks, etc). A fluorocarbon leader could work well if you need a faster sink rate when you are down around 20 fow and/or when you need ultra-invisibility.

I agree though with your guide… having good sensitivity and solid hook sets is the way to go in my book. Nothing worse than setting the hook with a rubber band!

tenchi

Suffix 832 main line and fluro. For leader…once u hit deep water…major difference….all my set up is like this..I’m more of a walleye guy fishing mostly deep water..10 fow plus….

tenchi

Also stiffer rod too..using st Croix avid…

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I think you answered your own question already.

You need to also remember fishing 20′ vertical is way different than pitching where you are adding the casting length into your mono stretch equation.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

I think you could use any line in your situation. However, I like the versatility of having the main line as braid. You can tie a leader on of either fluorocarbon or mono and switch out depending on how you are fishing. A mono like Berkely XT would be a good leader if you need something low stretch and very strong, abrasion resistant (wood, rocks, etc). A fluorocarbon leader could work well if you need a faster sink rate when you are down around 20 fow and/or when you need ultra-invisibility.

I agree though with your guide… having good sensitivity and solid hook sets is the way to go in my book. Nothing worse than setting the hook with a rubber band!

X2

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

I’ve found straight flouro beneficial for lake situations, the line sinks so it keeps less of a bow in the line and don’t have to hassle with leaders.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

I still use mono. It rawly depends on you presence I don’t have a problem hooking up or feeling the bite but I use top of the line rods with make a difference. I do like hard line for some situations. Feel not having another knot to fail with tying another leader. Mono has by far caught more fish but new is good to. But not always better.

BBKK
    IA

Had to spool up with mono today on one of my rods as I am out of braid and my order won’t come until tomorrow. Man, now I remember why I hate mono for throwing plastics. Like fishing with a rubberband! Its not too bad if you are fishing live bait slowly on the bottom, but if you are hopping and and jigging plastics its not good IMO.

FryDog62

Quote:

I’ve found straight flouro beneficial for lake situations, the line sinks so it keeps less of a bow in the line and don’t have to hassle with leaders.

I agree that I like how fluorocarbon sinks and you don’t get the bow in the line as much…better for quick hook sets, especially when the bite is light. My question is if this is off set by the stretch in fluorocarbon? Might be a straighter line but more hesitation when you set?

I know no line is perfect, that’s why I lean towards a braid main line and then customize with mono or fluorocarbon leader depending on the application. I actually tried an extra long fluorocarbon leader last year (10-12 feet long) to get more sink rate and less bow, yet the braid minimizes the stretch. But to your earlier point, you’re still messing around with an extra knot.

I still don’t know – in the pursuit of the perfect line forever I guess…

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

A lot depends on what rod you are using as well. Mono/flouro if you are zinging it out there aways a mxf or even mh would help with stretch. As well as length, more leverage to dig er home!

competitor
    South central, mn

Do you tie the leader with a uni to uni type knot or use a swivel? Line to line knots scare me. I think I need to work on them.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Some uni, I like modified/ improved Albright knot. Google it lots of vids. Swivel for me means one extra knot plus that knot is easy to tie.

competitor
    South central, mn

Thanks, I will give that knot a try!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.