St Croix Trolling Rods?

• Egts

What are people using for St Croix trolling rods? In previous posts everyone raved about the 7’6″MM Tidemaster. St Croix only makes that one in a spinning model now, I want the casting model, but it looks like it is no longer made. Are people switching to the Eyecon trolling models, if so what length? I don’t use planer boards. Looking for some recommendations. Thanks

Nitrodog

The eyecon are great trolling rods. Will you be using it for leadcore are hardline?

Egts

I mainly use Power Pro or Fireline. I’ve never used lead core.

mojogunter

Not to be an a$$, but you should think about trying lead core I started pulling lead about 5 years ago, and lead gives the ability to catch more fish when the bite is negative than any other method I have tried. It is an amazing tool.

Quote:

I mainly use Power Pro or Fireline. I’ve never used lead core.

Egts

I’m open to trying leadcore. Does lead core require a different rod than braid/super lines? So what are you guys using for rods? Im only interested in St Croix.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Yes, different rods between the two techniques. I know the Tidemaster was discontinued, but Dean had plans to search for an alternative.

I use my Tide Master with hard line for trolling cranks down to 12-15 feet. Also use them for 3-ways and spinners. I use lead core when going deeper.

In any case, give Dean a call at Anglers Guide. He will get you going in the right direction and teach you something along the way.

Paul Delaney

The new EyeConn rods from St.Croix are really nice trolling rods. There are two different sizes they come in 7 foot and 8 foot lengths while they are both great rods with outstanding sensitivity the 7 foot rod is lighter. I have used them both with and without planer boards and they work well with planer boards but I primarily use them without. I like to use them for pulling flat lines directly behind the boat pumping minnow baits for walleyes in shallow water. I use smaller line counter reels spooled up with Suffix braid on these rods.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

St. Croix EyeCon

Lots of different options to choose from on the EyeCon. 5′,7′,8′,9′ 10.5′, and even 12′ rods. I have included a link to Anglers Guide website to show you the different sizes and actions of these rods. I too only have leadcore history with the eyecon specifically in the 12′ version. But the 7′ Moderate medium action would be a very good flat line trolling rod with braid line.

Happy Shopping.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

The eyecons are decent, but I wish they would not have gone to the giant billy club handle on them. On a 7 foot trolling rod, I don’t want a foot of handle. Other than that, they fish pretty nice. Still like the tidemaster better though. Wish they would have kept making it.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Egts, you have a PM

KirtH
    Lakeville

Yah the tidemaster is a sweet rod, very universal. I have 2 plus a number of Eyecons, the dedicated trolling rods are awesome I have used them for both lead and braided. I also have the Eyecon 7′ Bottom Bouncer rod and use this for trolling cranks on braid and it works great.

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

wild river. talk to dean. unbelievable rods.

Egts

Has anyone used the Rage 7’2″MM for trolling? I’ll be able to get 2 free Rage rods with the deal the have going on right now. Was thinking about trying the 72MM, if it doesn’t work for trolling light stuff, Ill have a cranking rod.

BigMatt
    south metro, twin cities, mn

72mm rage rod…is ok for lighter cranks…. SR5…SR7. ….or smaller… I wouldn’t run led on it ever however…it’s way to light. The rage makes a great bouncer rod too!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.