Extra wide gap treble hook for tip up

• kevin zurawski

Trying to improve my hook up percentage on northerns, walleye, and bass. I saw on a previous video they discussed a extra wide gap treble hook and forgot to write down. Any suggestions?

Lund1775
    Plymouth, MN

I have made my own rigs like the clam big tooth rigs using vmc sure set trebles and those seem to work well for me

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Gamagatsu ewg hooks. Plus they are very sticky, just ask Zman

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I always use kahle hooks on my tip ups and don’t miss many. Unusually good hook up percentage.

tim hurley

Thorne Bros makes a 2 treble quickstrike rig that I have used with deadbait-Always hooks up.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

The one you speak of is the VMC sure set hooks. Tried them last year and had very little success, but it was also my first year really experimenting with tipup rigs so ???.

Will give them another go this year, but had just as much luck if not better on regular trebles for bigger baits.

DNR sent me an email stating that as long as the two to three hooks are 9″ apart, you can place as many baits on those hooks as you want. Regulations don’t regulate bait, but the hooks used. 2 fatheads or smaller shiners spaced apart produce when others dont! Look it up in the regs if ya want.

Lund1775
    Plymouth, MN

I was informed the other day about kahle hooks as well, went out and got some, cant wait to try them out, hopefully not much longer with these temps!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Gamagatsu ewg hooks. Plus they are very sticky, just ask Zman

X2

kevin zurawski

thanks everyone for your input. will get a few of each type to try out.

tight lines

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

And Kevin…..welcome to IDO.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

I used the VMC sure sets last year and was very happy with them. They worked well and my hooking percentage was very good. I will continue to use them and have them on all my flags.

KP
    Hudson, WI

What size VMC sureset hooks are you guys using on you setups?

404 ERROR
    MN

I use size 4 Suresets and they seem to work with larger baits. For some reason, I was sold on the #4 Barbarians many years ago and have been still using them with great success. Don’t know what turned me on to them, maybe the looks? doah

SoDak Fisher Guy
    Eastern SD

I use both #6 & #4 VMC Suresets on ALL my tip ups…using 6-8 inch sucker minnows for walleyes, and have had very, very great hooking percentage. I wont put another treble hook under a tip up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.