Exploring New Auger Options

• Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Hey IDO folks, looking for some informed opinions/advice.

I’m trying to decide whether or not I want to change augers. I’m currently running a Jiffy 4G. I love almost everything about it, with my only complaint being its ungainly size and weight (~37lbs). It consistently fires up on a single pull, rips through ice incredibly quickly, and is showing very little wear over the years.

Biggest question is this; those of you who’ve made the switch from gas to electric, what are your biggest pros/cons?

If I do end up changing, I’m looking at the Strikemaster 40v or 24v – wondering if anyone has used both for comparison. 15lbs v 20lbs vs my current 37lbs. Maybe I’m just cryin around over nothing.

Thanks as always, folks.

Ripjiggen

Pros: Everything
    Cons: Nothing

tswoboda

Just do it… you’ll wonder why you waited. Get the 40v lite or a cordless drill setup.

I’m trying to decide whether or not I want to change augers. I’m currently running a Jiffy 4G. I love almost everything about it, with my only complaint being its ungainly size and weight (~37lbs). It consistently fires up on a single pull, rips through ice incredibly quickly, and is showing very little wear over the years.

I was in the same boat with a perfectly functional gas auger that ripped, and mine was only ~18 lbs. Got a drill set up “just to try it” and haven’t used the gas auger since.

Coletrain27

X2 there’s nothing not to like about going electric. I use a drill setup with clam plate and lite flite

ganderpike
    Alexandria

I think a lot of the guys who now run electric used to be in your shoes. I’d bite the bullet, spend the money on a 40V and never look back.

Alex Fox

PROS:
    1. What’s the price of gas these days? How about non-oxy gas?
    2. No gas/oil on your hands before fishing.
    3. No hauling around said oil/gas.
    4. No struggling to start a cold auger when you can’t feel your fingers.
    5. So quiet you aren’t spooking fish.
    6. Can run it inside a shack or house and not die of asphyxiation.

CONS:
    1. The only thing I can think of is if you’re drilling through more than 40 inches of ice. I drilled through 60 inches on LOW once. That might be tough with an electric.

I have the SM 40v in the 10 inch. It is amazing. Will never go back to a gas auger.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Yep Rip nailed it. 40V for me and never looked back. Still have my gas auger, not sure why. Thought about selling it but its not really worth anything now I guess.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I have the SM 40v in the 10 inch. It is amazing. Will never go back to a gas auger.

I have the 10 inch also. Careful most think 10 inch is absurd around here! Lol

duh queen

You really don’t need to go 40v, or even 24v if you buy the right drill to power your auger. I run an 8″ Nils convertible powered by a Milwaukee M18Fuel permanent magnet drill. I hear that the 20V Dewalt’s are also really good. I don’t think my entire assembly weighs more than about 15lbs(It’s so light I’ve never bothered to weigh it.) In average winter temps, I can drill about 40 holes through 24″ of ice on a single 5AH Milwaukee battery.
    An added advantage of a drill/auger combo is that you also now have a kickin’ drill to use ’round the house. And they break down to a smaller package for loading onto your sled/box.

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Thanks guys. I’m also curious about the batteries…do you have to worry about them being out in the cold all day and dying when you want to move and pop a new set of holes?

duh queen

Make sure to warm them up before charging. That’s the only issue I’ve ever had. I always carry a second as a back-up, but have never had to use it. (Milwaukee M18Fuel’s, 5AH. NOT a chinese knock off)

duh queen

It’s worth noting that it’s been more than 10 years since I bought it, but I didn’t spend more than about $425 for everything.

CaptainMusky

The ONLY con I could think of is trying to ditch the gas. It wouldnt be a bad idea to keep it around, but make sure you keep it in running order. I went to a 40V Strikemaster and ditched my solo. No Regerts.

tswoboda

Thanks guys. I’m also curious about the batteries…do you have to worry about them being out in the cold all day and dying when you want to move and pop a new set of holes?

Frigid temps are the reason I finally switched to electric. No warm up time like a gasser and propane has a hard cutoff around -20F where it simply won’t drill and there’s nothing you can do about it. Keeping a battery in a hoody pocket is very simple and reliable.

I can vouch for the SM 40v and Dewalt 20v batteries sitting out and riding on a snowmobile all day down to -10F. Colder than that and I’ve just put them in my pocket. They might be just fine sitting out in lower temps too, but I just haven’t tried it. Any brand battery will work in any temp if you keep it in your pocket.

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

I went from a 1992 10″ Jiffy Legend Premier 3.5 HP – 47# full of gas to a 10″ Strikemaster 40V -26.5#. NEVER go back to gas again. The only thing I don’t like (but getting used to) is it’s not variable speed. It’s either on or off. I like the slow speed to clear holes. AND I do know it spins backwards. But I don’t care to do that in 4′ of water.

Last couple of years, my buddy, his 2 kids and me fished most times. We always used my electric. This year with my dad’s health I can’t fish. The FIRST day my buddy used his gas Jiffy this winter was his last. The next day he had a 40V.

I never do anything special with the batteries. Bought an extra – never used it.

Alex Fox

I always carry a spare battery but I’ve never had to use it. I’ve never had to keep mine warm per say either. Mine is mounted to my sled no matter the conditions, I’ve never had the battery not work.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

If you are a hole hopper get the 24v with an extra battery. I’ve chewed through a battery in a day….20” ice and probably 30 holes or so. But, it’s super light.

I ran a k drill the last 2 years but needed to upgrade drills. Not worth the cost for a good drill and extra batteries imho.

As others have said…you won’t look back. Donate the gas auger to a local fishing group or charity.

Justin Donson

Make the switch.

If you already have a nice beefy hammer drill and a bunch of batteries, then just go that route. I absolutely love my k-drill setup. Even used it on LOTW last spring for big pike, just drilled two holes slightly overlapping, then kind of reamed out the leftover ice in between. Was super slick, and would have been REALLY hard to do with a normal auger.

I just pulled my strikemaster solo out of the garage this spring to start up and get it ready to sell. But of course the primer bulb isn’t pushing any gas to the carb, so it probably needs some carb work or a new primer bulb or something. Which means at least $75 at a shop or a few hours messing around with it and getting gas everywhere.

Yeah, done with the gas auger.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I switched from a Strikemaster gas to an Ion auger the 2nd year they started selling them, never blinked an eye looking back…Today’s electric augers are so much lighter and durable, I currently run a Ion G2 and love it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, somebody’s got to defend gas. I do have a dewalt 998 with a 6″ laser, and I also have a gas strikemaster with a 8″ laser, another thing to add is live on a lake so weight is not an issue. I use my gas once the ice is a foot thick or so. I have it mounted on the side by side and stays there until open water. I have it, it runs great, go through maybe 2 tanks of gas per year, with the popularity of electric its only worth about a dollar, so I’m using it until one of us dies. jester

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I still use a hand auger whistling I don’t like worrying about batteries, gas, etc. And honestly, a super sharp hand auger is no big deal, unless I am on more then 3 feet of ice. Then I get tired.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I was pretty stubborn on switching from gas to electric and I can certainly say there is no reason not to do it. No winterizing (summerizing), no worries about getting gas or oil on your bibs or shack, cuts easier, lighter, quieter.

I bought the 40v Pro with the 8 inch lite flite at the beginning of the season and not once have I not been thrilled with how it’s worked. Well worth the $$

queenswake
    NULL

Yep, another late adopter here. Made the first move to electric this year with the SM 24V. No regrets. The cost of it hit my sweet spot where I was finally willing to do it. I never wanted to mess around with the drill option and making sure I always had the drill with me.

buck-slayer

I have a Eskimo 8″ LP auger and love it. Have problems redrilling holes in my shack. Got advice from a number of guys here about the Kdrill. Borrowed one and it worked great and weighs like 5lbs. Going to get one next year because no one has any left this late in the year.

Hookset
    Southern MN

4 seasons on the Ion X, same blades, same battery never had an issue re-drilling holes. Sold my jiffy stealth, it was hard to get started but once she was running it was Great…I have never regretted that decision. Ultimately it boils down to whether you want to deal with fuel and a paid for auger or spend some $$ and just dealing with batteries. Good luck!

JoeMX1825
    MN

to me it’s the joy of knowing no matter the temps or conditions, as soon as I hit the button, it will start to drill, no chokes, no pre-mixes, no spills, no broken pull cord, nothing, just drill baby!

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Alright! I was leaning the electric route, but after all of your informative feedback I am sold.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts – much appreciated!

CaptainMusky

Alright! I was leaning the electric route, but after all of your informative feedback I am sold.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts – much appreciated!

You won’t regret it. I was a deadset against it when my buddy bought an ion but have been convinced other brands do it better than his auger. Strike master namely.

MNdrifter

I guess I’m the only one not so happy with the 10” Strikemaster 40 volt?!?! Couple weeks ago had a blade snap in half the long way from bolt hole to bolt hole while drilling a hole. Called SM left message. Got a call back couple days later, I missed the call. He left a message saying the pitch is probably off, I need to bring it in to Minnetonka M-F 7-3:30. Since I really don’t want to take off work, and since I really ain’t convinced it’s the pitch since it was cutting fine all winter, and I needed it for following weekend trip I just bought new blades ($70). Drilled 5 holes in the wheelhouse, sixth hole I was back flushing the slush and the plastic handle snapped. Called SM Monday, got call back Tuesday. Get same M-F 7-3:30 Minnetonka, blades pitch is off. Not sure how that will snap the handle but I’m just a ditch digger so what do I know. I’m not so happy at this point. Had an ion for 8 years and never had any trouble. I’m not sure how the pitch suddenly got messed up. I only used it in the wheelhouse since new this December.

3Rivers

If you are going with a 10″, the G2 ION is currently the lightest on the market at approx 18lbs. I’ve been using it a couple of years now and it works great!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.