EVA handles from Tuned Up Custom Rods

• Brandon George Howard Jr
    Northern Minnesota

So recently i’ve been thinking of pulling the trigger on a TUCR.

I am looking at a 32″ Power Precision for fishing 1/8th spoons and size 3 Utra light rippin’s raps, or else size 5 Rippin’ raps.

I am intrigued by the EVA handles TUCR has to offer.
    If memory serves me right, EVA is like a poly material, and is lighter than cork.

Anybody have an EVA handle from TUCR, and if so what are your opinions on it?

One concern I have is warping with such a seemingly soft material. I plan on using reel tape, and no castration bands.

Feedback will be appreciated )

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Light, durable, no warping has been my experience over the last 3+ years of owning them. Yes, they leave an indentation if using reel bands but cork does too. Doesn’t take away from sensitivity or anything else. I wouldn’t give it a 2nd thought

Dylan Salow

I have 2 bullwhips with EVA split grips and I like them. They are by far lighter IMO but yes, I did exactly what you said and wrapped with reel tape to not have the indentation. They hold up well if they are stored properly and taken care of. I also have a cork split grip precision noodle and really like that too. If it were up to me I couldn’t pick a favorite and like both styles with the split grips.

Craig Kilber

So recently i’ve been thinking of pulling the trigger on a TUCR.

I am looking at a 32″ Power Precision for fishing 1/8th spoons and size 3 Utra light rippin’s raps, or else size 5 Rippin’ raps.

I am intrigued by the EVA handles TUCR has to offer.
    If memory serves me right, EVA is like a poly material, and is lighter than cork.
    Anybody have an EVA handle from TUCR, and if so what are your opinions on it?

One concern I have is warping with such a seemingly soft material. I plan on using reel tape, and no castration bands.

Feedback will be appreciated )

I would go with the precision if using the #3 rippin raps

catmando
    wis

I have it on my bullwhip, it’s fine .I think it makes the rod lighter.

Ryan Wilson

The Bullwhip handles #3 rippin raps like a dream. This is the 3rd season I’ve used my Bullwhip (Eva handle) and it’s still good as new. I use electrical tape for the handle. Wrap one layer on the handle first sticky-side-out (for each reel foot). Then put your reel on and wrap tape over the reel feet and the sticky tape. No tape residue on the handle that way. Works great for cork handles too.

Dan Baker

I like the look of the EVA handle, but I prefer the feel of the cork. They both perform very well. My only knock on the EVA is I feel it gets a bit slippery with wet hands.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

The best material I have ever found for rod handles is Syncork. I am sure if you talk to TUCR they could make you rod with this. http://getrodblanks.com/about-syncork/

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I have a bunch of TUCR’s in both cork and EVA. I really don’t see much difference between the two besides the feel.

EVA might have the advantage in the weight dept but both have held up well.

Dan Baker

We decided to check on the weight tonight. Here’s what we found comparing the cork to the EVA. Nearly the same.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20180226_211835.jpg

2. IMG_20180226_211855.jpg

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

So the cork is actually lighter? Hilarious! So much for that misinformation. I personally can’t feel the difference between the two, as far as weight. They all feel as light as a feather.

My personal preference for all rod handles, open or hard water, is cork sealed with U-40 cork sealer. Anyone who enjoys the feel of a brand new cork handle should give it a try. I have 8-year old bass fishing rods with cork that’s in 10/10 condition because of this stuff. No pitting, no dirt, no grime, no roughness.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

+1 on the U-40 cork sealer

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

What length and diameter of those handles? Thank you for weighting the handles and proving some myths wrong.

Dan Baker

I don’t know the specifics on length and diameter.

tucrs
    NW Metro

6″ and about 7/8 diameter.

droc2487
    Letcher, SD

I think the Eva just looks better

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.