Etecs

• isu22andy

What’s everyone’s experience with them ? Seems like there’s ALOT for sale on marketplace lately . Anyone have any inside information if brp plans to keep servicing these things with the new low profile engine they are throwing on the Alumacrafts ? Id like to think some parts have to cross.. I’m likely staying away from them but curious side of me wants to know if they are that bad or if theres a way to bullet proof them .

BigWerm
    SW Metro

It would take a VERY severe discount for me to buy one, and I would put the savings aside to replace it with something else at a later date too. And I actually like Evinrude’s, it’s just tough to put that kind of money into something that may or may not be able to find parts for. I doubt there is much spill over from the rotax engine to the Etecs.

CaptainMusky

Stay far away from anything 150 and up for sure. Major powerhead issues you see them for sale for a reason. My buddy bought a Vexus with a big etec for about half what it would go for if it had any other motor on it because of this.

mojogunter

I had a 225hp and a 200hp E-tec. The 225 I put 600+ hours on that I had to have the ECM re-flashed. The 200 I had an injector stick open at 300 hours. I have a friend that had a 250hp that a cylinder went down on it. I don’t know how many hours it had. They are pretty good motors as long as you maintain them correctly. There aren’t too many people that are working on them anymore, so I would check to make sure you have someone that could do any needed work on one if you are looking to buy one. My dealer is no longer working on them. For that reason I wouldn’t buy one anymore.

walleyesforme

About a month ago I was talking to a Ranger salesman about used boats and how cheap they are if they have an etec on the back and he said if you buy one your basically buying a hull and a trailer and whatever electronics are on the boat because the motor holds zero value. As said above, if you can get a smokin deal on one, used Verado’s are a dime a dozen or set the savings aside to repower eventually.

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

I think a lot of it depends on the size motor and rig. I have a 115 Etec on my 175 Alumacraft and I really love it. I bought it used from the original purchaser. Super easy to maintain, very easy to winterize, gets good fuel economy and oil consumption is negligible.
    I’m sure I’ll take a little beating when/if I sell it, which is too bad since it’s such a great motor.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.