New Rod, What to Get

• shaley
    Milford IA

Ok guys, time to decide on a rod for the upcoming season. I’m looking for a rod to throw cowgirls with. So far my choices are a Sling Blade or having a Steel blank built. I currently have both brands for other uses and love both brands, anyone have any experience with these rods? I’m also open to suggestions for other top end rods.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

A lot of pros use rods like this…

(1) St. Croix PM86XHF ($200 MSRP)

My buddy prefers the Premier series to the more expensive ones…but I’m sure others will chime in with suggestions.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

I do not think you will go wrong with either the Sling Blade or a Steel. If they would still made a quality Diamondback, I would suggest that, but those days are over, thank goodness I got 2 a few years ago.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Shaley;

I just bought the St. Croix TM86H, I believe thats the new sling blade

But either way I’m pumpped to use it

shaley
    Milford IA

Rod buyings on hold untill Thorne Bros gets their new blank ready for market. Sounds like the same as a Steel or Sling Blade but being built on a 9′ blank. Croixs come stock at 8’6″ the Steel can be built out to 8’9″ according to the head guy at Thornes. Hopefully they are ready by the Expo in April.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

If you are planning on attending the MN Muskie Expo that is the way to go. I have found over the past few years that the deals available there are as good as you can find all year. Rod and reel purchases for me generally wait for the muskie show!

Bob Bowman
    MN

Gloomis

I got a few new sticks last year. The heavy action trolling rod is amazing for hucking big plastics and blades. Break one and it cost you $50.00 to replace. What better investment could a muskie hunter make. Its a rod that will last you the rest of your life, granted you may spend that $50.00 bucks a few times

shaley
    Milford IA

Been there done that Bob, I do love my loomis.

Derek Hanson

sling blade does sound sweet. I have the 8′ 6″ musky innovations bull dawg rod rated up to 40 oz. and that rod is my go to rod. Throws pounders well, a little light for 2 pounders though. And I loved it for cowgirls and super cowgirls. caught a lot of fish on it last year and had an awesome catch to lost fish ratio. Almost bought another because I like it so much. I also have 2 st croix premiers 8′ 6″ XH and a 8′ H that are decent. Curious about the sling blade though.

shaley
    Milford IA

I don’t care for my MI Monster rod. It has its use for big plastics but after thowing my loomis or Thorne Bros rods it feels like an anchor to cast. I may trade it off for a different rod this year.

shaley
    Milford IA

Well I ended up ordering a 9′ Thorne Bros new Predator Heavy. After picking one up at the Expo earlier this month it was a no brainer. It was waiting by the door for me tonight when I got home from work. The boys at Thorns did a great job I can’t wait for next weekend to get out in the boat and get a few casts in. I topped it with a new Revo Toro 60.

Grouse_Dog
    The Shores of Lake Harriet

Pal

What do you mean about the days of the diamondback are over? I have a few that Thorne’s made for me.

I will have to ask Pat

The Dog.

shaley
    Milford IA

The new Diamomdbacks are now made overseas and the quality has gone downhill. I know of at least 1 custom builder that will no longer recomend building on DB blanks. If you have the older USA blanks your in good shape.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Hi Grouse Dog,

Diamondback’s are now made in CHINA, and I do not think they are as good as what they used to be that is why so many guys have moved away from them (many problems). I have two old diamondbacks and they are great. No complaints.

I was at Thorne’s yesterday though, and picked up a Predator while waiting for my reels to get spooled. They were designed in conjunction with St Croix and seem like quite a nice stick also for anyone looking for a nice custom rod.

Pal

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.