Unseasonable Warmth – Effects on Fishing

• PeteStoltman

Here in the northern part of Wisconsin (Vilas & Oneida counties) the warm weather we have been experiencing has had a very pronounced effect on the musky fishing. While we have been getting some fish during the warm spells it has noticeably slowed down the action. Whenever the weather turns sour and we get cold rain or some snow spitting down the activity level of the fish picks up. I was out for several hours this afternoon and easily found schools of baitfish on my locator with a number of bigger hooks on the screen in the immediate area. However, after repeatedly casting around and through these schools of fish I never even raised a fish today. On days when the weather had been nasty it’s been pretty common to raise a good number of fish and usually hook up with at least one or two. Judging from this evenings weather forecast it looks like I won’t have to worry about the mild weather much longer. It’s been very pleasant to fish in nothing more than a light jacket but I think I’d rather deal with the bibs and parka and be putting some fish in the net! Stay tuned and I’ll let you know if my observation holds up.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.