Missed my chance…..

• suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

So there’s a musky hanging around my dock Sunday. My wife saw it once then when I was fishing for gills it rushed in on my quarry. Knowing it was “in the feeding mode” I ran and grabbed a rod and hastily tied on a big spinner bait. I thought about the leader but was in a hurry to get that active fish. First cast he inhales the spinner bait and neatly cut the line. Didnt even get to feel him. I was very bummed the rest of the day. Some for missing the chance to fight the nice musky but mostly hoping he was able to spit that lure out. Dam muskies anyways.

haner

wheres your spinnerbait now??

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

That reminds me of the time I was fishing for pike/bass with a spinnerbait. I probably had a leader, but forgot to set the drag. I saw him inhale it, do a 180 and snap the line.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Cutting corners does not pay regarding muskies! Chances are the fish is okay. If you didn’t even get to feel it, the fish didn’t get the hooks set well. One or two gill flarings and I’m sure that bait came out. They’re AMAZING at getting things out of their mouth so I wouldn’t get too worked up over it. Better luck next time!

Derek Hanson

Why wouldn’t you tie on a leader?? Its not like that fish is going to swim away that far. It only takes me 10 seconds to tie a knot.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

Why wouldn’t you tie on a leader?? Its not like that fish is going to swim away that far. It only takes me 10 seconds to tie a knot.

guess were not all perfect and make mistakes in judgment once in a while when in a hurry!

haner

Quote:

Quote:

guess were not all perfect and make mistakes in judgment

once in a while when in a hurry!

Yeah, pretty hard decision huh? HMMM

gary_wellman
    South Metro

That fish spit that spinnerbait in a matter of seconds……It isn’t hard for them to do and I’ve seen them do it.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

don’t you hate tha when you hurry and end up taking a short cut? I have all the faith in the worl thoughthat if you wanted you could go retrieve that spinner with in a 10 yard radius if you wanted to.

webstj
    Mazeppa, MN

I was fishing a rattle trap for bass once and had a muskie inhale it only to break the line eventually. Needless to say about 20 minutes later after I had forgotten about my lost bait the fish jumped clear out of the water about 50′ away shaking its head and sent the rattle trap flying in the air. I can still remember hearing those rattles while the fish was in mid air. It was then that I noticed how nice the fish was and that the rattle trap was soon to be nested on the bottom for good.

bigfritzzz
    hudson

it really just depends on how well the hook was set….. if he stuck it good that bait aint going anywhere
    i have a hard time believing that they will disolve. gotta take along time for a big hook to rust or disolve. try and pull a hook out of something when the barb is buried

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Why no leader? I dont know. I was in a hurry. I’ve caught plenty of pike on spinner baits and knew I had an even chance of not getting bit off. I just wanted to get to that fish while he was in a frenzy. I dont pursue Musky but when an opportunity presents itself I have no problem taking advantage of it. Obviously I wont try that again without tyger leader. Might get another chance this weekend. Apparently the Muskys and pike for that matter have moved to shallow water on my lake(seen more) which means opportunity is knocking.

Derek Hanson

It happens. Better luck next time with those stubborn muskies.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.