White Bear Muskie Hunt Day 2

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Ryan and I had a great time fishing on Monday so we decided to give it a go again yesterday on Tuesday. Temps were in the teens when we launched. Or should I say attempted to launch!

The harbor had frozen over during the night with about an inch and a half of good, clear ice separating us from the main lake. It wasn’t quite enough ice to support my weight but it made getting the Skeeter off the trailer without ripping off transducers or busting up trailer lights a bit of a challenge.

Once we got the rear end of the boat in the water I used those 300 ponies to blow the ice out from behind the boat. Let me tell you… that Off Shore makes a very impressive ice-busting wave when you tap on the throttle.

OK, I’ll admit it, it was more than a tap.

The fishing was very similar to the day prior. The muskie made us put in our time offering up a very small bite window when we had two shots at putting fish in the boat. Just like the day prior we were able to convert one of the two opportunities.

Thanks go out to Ryan McMahon for being willing to share a boat with me over the course of two very cold days.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ryan’s a hoot to fish with!

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

I’m suspicious… A Muskie show on IDO TV?

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

Nice fish James!!! love the pic of the ice on the trailer.lol… I bet you otter ice Hutus starting to sound better and better

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

love your stories from busting ice the past few days with Ryan! I hate to tell you james but i’m heading out today to bust ice and hopefully get the late season monster I have been chasing. I truly believe i’ll be fishing in my boat for at least another week here on lake vermilion, but at the end of my time i’d likely have the choice of my ice noodle or musky stick.

Keep up the good work guys, Sure would love to see a musky show one of these Saturday mornings!!

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

James,

We were able to break some ice ourselves last night on tonka! Wow 21 degrees and the whole launch had about 1″ of ice.

We trolled a 12 FOW weed line and this 43″ muskie picked up a 14 HJ on our first pass as we were trolling for walleye, 8lb mono held up to the challenge!

We were also able to box 5 nice 16-18″ walleye in the next 3 passes.

Ipilot with Ilink is a game changer for my boat this year. We have a trolling line that is 35 minutes long and follows the 12 foot weed line contour, it really is unbelievable.

Push 3 buttons, sit back, turn on the TV and watch football, and fish the rest of the night – we actually have the route circle so we never have to pull our rods from the rod holder.

BTW, great muskies James!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Ryan’s a hoot to fish with!

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

I’m suspicious… A Muskie show on IDO TV?

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

Nice fish James!!! love the pic of the ice on the trailer.lol… I bet you otter ice Hutus starting to sound better and better

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

love your stories from busting ice the past few days with Ryan! I hate to tell you james but i’m heading out today to bust ice and hopefully get the late season monster I have been chasing. I truly believe i’ll be fishing in my boat for at least another week here on lake vermilion, but at the end of my time i’d likely have the choice of my ice noodle or musky stick.

Keep up the good work guys, Sure would love to see a musky show one of these Saturday mornings!!

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

James,

We were able to break some ice ourselves last night on tonka! Wow 21 degrees and the whole launch had about 1″ of ice.

We trolled a 12 FOW weed line and this 43″ muskie picked up a 14 HJ on our first pass as we were trolling for walleye, 8lb mono held up to the challenge!

We were also able to box 5 nice 16-18″ walleye in the next 3 passes.

Ipilot with Ilink is a game changer for my boat this year. We have a trolling line that is 35 minutes long and follows the 12 foot weed line contour, it really is unbelievable.

Push 3 buttons, sit back, turn on the TV and watch football, and fish the rest of the night – we actually have the route circle so we never have to pull our rods from the rod holder.

BTW, great muskies James!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.