Electric boat winch

• rbrizz

Has anyone had a positive experience using a 12 volt winch to trailer your boat?

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I just put one on my boat this week and it was a pain the … It came off Saturday night after a trip to the river. The old trusty crank went back on. If you can’t crank due to medical conditions, it will get the job done but in my opinion it is more hassle than it is worth. At a busy landing people are not going to be excited about the extra time it will take to use the new toy. I also found that the winch loosened up while towing the boat down a smooth road. If you have the ability to use the crank, stick with it.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Like 85Lund said, UNLESS you can’t crank b/c of a medical condition, they are a liability all around. I got one for my father years ago. We both laughed when we put it on. We didn’t even dare use it. We could see it was gonna be a cluster duck maker at the landing. We’ve still got it laying around if you’re interested.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

He asked for “positive” experiences. Might be purty quiet in here!

Quote:

If you can’t crank due to medical conditions, it will get the job done but in my opinion it is more hassle than it is worth.

Totally agree.

We bought one for the Father In Law. It’s been over 10 year and it’s still on there…he put a crank on it and cranks in it manually. The gear ratio reduction slows the speed of the boat loading, but it’s much easier to crank on.

(that was a little positive )

mattfishing

My dad had one on his 1950 tyee if your going to use one make sure you grab a cup of coffee and a lawn chair. Finally got him used to being able to connect safety chain and then once up on flat land crank the rest of the way it went alot better. Save yourself the embarrassment and frustration..

eauclaireboys
    Eau Claire wi

my father in law has one on his 16ft alumacrat delux and swears by it. He is 61 and has heart issues, so the hand crank is really not a possibility, I have used it many times other than it being a bit slow its great. I have a big glass boat and some days i wish i had one. cranking on 2000lbs up a bad ramp is a chore.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

He asked for “positive” experiences. Might be purty quiet in here!

Quote:

If you can’t crank due to medical conditions, it will get the job done but in my opinion it is more hassle than it is worth.

Totally agree.

We bought one for the Father In Law. It’s been over 10 year and it’s still on there…he put a crank on it and cranks in it manually. The gear ratio reduction slows the speed of the boat loading, but it’s much easier to crank on.

(that was a little positive )

I agree with Brian here!

My question is though, and maybe I’ve not traveled the world enough but, is he not able to power on enough? And if not is he not setting the trailer deep enough into the water? After a power on and the hookup, just a 1/2 crank to tighten it up when under pressure?

Just courious.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

My question is though, and maybe I’ve not traveled the world enough but, is he not able to power on enough?

That’ll only work with a bunk trailer. If you’ve got rollers, you’re SOL (at least I am) unless you’ve got a buddy to hook the bow eye quickly. She’ll roll right back off.

herb
    6ft under

I can power on my roller trailer with out any problem. Only had to adjust one roller to make it work. But I thought power loading was against the law in Minn. I certainly wouldn’t go up or down the ramp without the strap hooked though.
    I’m in Iowa
    A nephew added a power winch for his 20ft plate boat. Used it once and now it’s for sale.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Power loading is illegal but a necessary evil at many locations. I’ve never got in trouble for it.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

He could also try a 2 speed winch.
    I have arm and hand issues….. the old 1 speed was hard for me to work.
    Bought a 5000lb 2 speed (my boat is 1600lbs total)and while it is still slow,it’s a bunch easier for me to use…. and no power hook ups etc.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Power loading is illegal but a necessary evil at many locations. I’ve never got in trouble for it.

Mike, try power loading at Windmill Marina some time. They have the nicest dock hands around, but if you even think about power loading they turn into your mother in law.

Most everyone power loads at Everts bunk or roller. If I don’t have anyone handy, I’ll just leave the power on slightly to hold the boat until I can run up front and connect up.

dougie
    Sobieski,Wi

If I don’t have anyone handy, I’ll just leave the power on slightly to hold the boat until I can run up front and connect up.

x2

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’ve power loaded and unloaded onto both bunk and roller trailers for 40 years. Never gave it a thought whether it was a legal issue. Boated from Canada to Alabama and Ohio, Tennessee to Colorado.

I pay very close attention to no wake and motor restrictions though.

Hummmm, maybe I’ve broke the law but, people all around me were doing the same thing.

Doesn’t make it right though I guess.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.