FOUR STROKE OR TWO STROKE??

• luds12
    Farmington

ORDERING NEW BOAT AND GOING TO HANG A 150HP ON THE BACK, DOES A GUY GO WITH FOUR STROKE OR A DIRECT INJECT TWO STROKE? THIS WILL BE PUT ON A 20′ TILLER

onestout
    Hudson, WI

typically I like a 2 stroke for the big motor with a 4 stroke kicker but with some of the new 4 strokes out there I would compare the weight between the 2 and take each for a ride to compare their performance. The new motors today are pretty impressive either way, not sure there would really be a wrong choice.

fishhunter
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I had the same delema you did. I actually went with the old fashioned carb 2 stroke. I actually love it! My reasoning was performance, I can work on it myself, and money.

When I researched the e-tech, I hear both good and bad about them. Hard to beat when they are on thier game. When you reearch most of the 4 strokes, it is hard to find anything bad. Just my 2 cents.

bck
    Big Stone Lake Sd

I like the yamaha 4 stroke. its extremely quiet and doesnt stink as much as a two stroke,thats important to me when im sitting next to it 10 hrs a day. Just my opinion the 2 stroke is probably faster, but the 4 stroke is better on gas. I run 115 yamaha on an 1890 Warrior and my dad runs a 225 etec on a 620 ranger, granted he has twice the h.p. but he burns 5 times the gas plus about 400.00 in oil in a year and i put about 60 hrs more a year on my motor than he does. Hope this helps.

Dave G
    Rochester, MN

I have a unique problem with the old and new DFI 2-stroke motors. I am very sensitive to some exhaust smells and these 2-stokes just make me ill after awhile in the boat. Even though they have cut down on the oil consumption, it still smells to me. If you or any of your passengers are also sensitive to these oil exhausts, then I would highly recommend a 4-stroke.

luds12
    Farmington

with the way gas is going that is definatly a big consideration on a motor, especially with a powerstroke in the tow vehicle.

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

4 Stroke – with oil at $25 and the 150 reservoir holding over 3 gallons. I run 4 stroke Yamaha’s 200hp and 8hp on an 1850 Tyee. 50+mph but I don’t usually run it full bore.

woodenfish
    st.croix valley

No question 4 stroke! I ran a 2 stroke tiller for years.Last year I bought a new 20 foot tiller with a 4 stroke, you cant even compare them.I would look at the 150 Suzuki.

wkw

Four stroke for sure!! Quieter, no smoke or smell, no mixing oil or oil reservoir, and just as economical.
    I have a 250 Verado and love it. Only have to change the oil every 2-300 hours. And it’s no harder on gas than a two stroke.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Another vote for 4 stroke.

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Quote:

ORDERING NEW BOAT AND GOING TO HANG A 150HP ON THE BACK, DOES A GUY GO WITH FOUR STROKE OR A DIRECT INJECT TWO STROKE? THIS WILL BE PUT ON A 20′ TILLER

For me, the Optimax was a no-brainer. I want performance with fuel/oil economy and don’t really care about how quiet it is. Though I have to say the Optimax is pretty quiet anyway – till you go full throttle. Then it sounds manly.

The DFI 2-strokes nowadays are at least as fuel efficient and clean burning as a four stroke (based on EPA ratings, depending on HP), and you get higher performance all for a lot less money.
    I don’t mind putting oil in the reservoir so I don’t know why people make that to be a big deal. Though if you run everyday that can get expensive.
    Professional guides (who run daily) and old duffers that want “whisper quiet” would do best with a 4-stroke.

Now, I don’t know much about how the high-end Verados and Yamaha SHO 4-strokes so I can’t comment on those.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I am not sure why everyone states a four stroke has no smell. My brothers 150 Vrod has an awful exhaust smell when conditions are right. My Vote would be if going four stroke the Vrod would be top of my list. Whisper quiet and power to set one back in the seat. But my Opti 135 is still faster….HE HE

ted-merdan

I will be the lone vote for the 2-stroke here. I have a 150 E-TEC tiller on my 620 Ranger – torque, hole shot, top end, slower trolling, wider range of prop selection etc. no question. I have a sub 3 second hole shot with 4 guys full fuel and both livewells and still run upper 40’s with that load – plenty fast for me. I have over 150 hours on this engine in just over 2 years and have used 3 gallons of oil… Engine is great on fuel which is another reason I went back to a tiller.

Let me know if you have further questions.

-ted

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.