Alumacraft Dominator Sport

• petty
    United States

Went to the boat show to check out the new Dominator 185 Sport. Time to make a change from the tiller to a family friendly boat. Like the boat but not sure about the storage. Looking to see what somebody who runs one says. Other boat was the Lund explorer but didn’t like the jump seat layout as much. Any feedack on either would be great….Thanks!!!

chubby
    Bloomington

I just looked at these 2 boats at the show as well. I think the Dominator standard features takes it hands down.

Full double bottom
    bigger livewells
    Hyd steering
    jumps seats
    new style composite seats
    base coat clear coat paint
    treated plywood
    dry storage
    choice of motors

The factory rep showed me the last years MN sales figures for aluminum boats based on last years registrations ending 10-2010 and Alumacraft sold 44% of all Aluminum fishing boats in MN. The next 3 most popular brands Lund, Crestliner, and Tracker combined sold less than Alumacraft did. I guess can see through the smoke and mirriors.

broadwaybob
    Janesville, WI

X2 Your family will like the softer ride of the Alumacraft as well. Bonus is that you can choose the motor of your choice without upcharges. Down here in southern Wisconsin there is definitely a change in the most popular boatmaker–Alumacraft.

Mike Stephens
    WI.

Wow, all that money, and the mfg’s. go with treated plywood? Marine grade is what I’d want. sealed of course. Hey Forrest Wood move aside

stevenoak

I have fished out of Dominator for the last two years with a buddy.Love everthing about the boat except the rear jump seats.They kill the size of the rear livewell.and storage compartment.Also we did a lot of trolling in heavy current.So most fish we landed were off the back of the boat.That leaves you trying to stand on the folded jump seat.Besides unstable,it could easily damage the seats.They are not much of a seat at that.That was the only thing I perfered the Lund.The upcharge if you don’t want the “sister motor “on the lund turns me off on the lund.Dealer said 3-4 thousand to switch to Yammy. He also agreeed jump seats were bad design.Looks like they put the rod storage back in the gunnels the open side storage wasn’t secure.Haven’t seen this years model website pics hard to see some of the details.

petty
    United States

Hey guys thanks for all the great feedback. Sounds like the Alumacraft is way to go, I also like the different motor choices!

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Was down at Bay City Hardware the other day and i see there starting to carry Alumacraft boats powered by Yamaha,still can get Evinrude also, they are great small town boat dealer with a great service department I would check them out if i was looking at a new almacraft, heres there webpage http://www.baycityhardware.com/Home_Page.html

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

i didn’t think that they would use treated plywood in their boats. checked the web site and it is marine grade plywood. big difference!!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.