Cold weather line

• smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

What’s a good cold weather line for a spinning reel? 6 or 8# test. I know of a spillway that is hot right now for eyes.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Fireline or spiderwire stealth are both good. Better yet, meet me and I’ll let you use my other rod!

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

The suffix 832 worked pretty well for me right before ice up. Doesn’t seem to hold as much water as power pro or fireline. At least in my opinion.

eye-full
    Waterloo,Ia,USA

After testing last year, my choices would be the Cortland line that Dean sells or Berkley Sensation ( they have it in solar again ). Both worked real well for me in cold weather.
    This was for casting jigs by the way. Good fishing.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

One thing I have learned is that anglers use and have different expectations of the line they use. Every line has its pros & cons depending on applications of use. Spool diameter size can be a big factor as well.

My 2cents for myself,In cold weather I prefer the Cortland for its memory management for my mono use.It is also “old guy” friendly for visibility.

Thus far for hardline, I have been very happy with the 832 hi-vis in 6#. The gore-tex core and has the tightest weave of any of the braid products that I have used.These attributes will retain the least amount of water and be the most useable in freezing conditions.

bofferdahl
    Maple Grove, MN

I use Fireline Crystal and love it. If the fish seem very picky, I will tie a few feet of mono or flourocarbon at the end of the fireline. Fireline stays straight and good hooksets. Fireline will ice up more if using outside of a house though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.