Boat cover for 16.5 ft v-hull?

• red89
    Hudson

I am looking for a recommendation on a cheap boat cover to buy for my late 80’s 16.5ft northwood v-hull. Having a boat with soaked carpet and compartments is no fun. Its just like any other standard old v-hull, not very wide, maybe 5 ft across the back. Has a regular outboard motor and bow-mount trolling motor. It also has three curved wood pieces that go across to support a cover, which is nice.
    Basically just want a cheap cover, that will not just fall apart after one rain storm. The old cover was like a heavy thick canvas, that ripped apart a long time ago. I can’t believe how cheap I found some on the internet, but I wonder about the quality of material and how they will fit. It does not need to be for travel, just something to keep the water out while it sits in the driveway. So if anyone has bought a particular brand/model that worked good let me know please.

And yes, I know I could just use a tarp…

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

with out spending a lot of money I would do one of 2 things.

One being get the correct size tarp so there isnt a ton of extra material and just take a little time and put some permant bungy cords on there and have a set place for them to hook onto. It takes very little time after the first time and the cheapest route.

Second option would be to look on cabelas or your local farm and fleet or the like. They have some general sizes of decent covers. Not going to last forever but cheap enough to replace every 3 or 4 years.

The biggest enemy to any kind of cover is going to be sun light, snow, and ice. Keep all those to a minimum and they should last a little longer.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I got one a Wally world for about $30. Needed it to just get me by for a while. Well, I’m on my second year now and no tears or thin spots. It turned out to be better than I thought. I do remove my Bow mount. I use good bungie cords and lash it to my trailer. It has even been trailered to p4 with the cover on in the snowy/slush months. Would not reccomend for snow load. Best luck, Mark

Trouble-Hook

I have a used canvas cover (no longer needed, doesn’t fit new boat) for a 16′ – $25 includes motor cover. Lacrosse area. Email me if interested. Can drop off or pick up if in the area.

red89
    Hudson

Trouble-Hook…. sent you a pm. You said send you an email, but you didn’t give me one.

red89
    Hudson

Anybody have the classic accessories “silver max” covers? They have them at fleet farm. They have one for 14′ to 16′ boats and one for 16′ to 18.5′ boats. I’m hoping the 14′ to 16′ one will fit. Its only $45.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.