Pontoon boat’s all welded and has drains!

• armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

OK so I tried to straighten my buckled pontoon prow myself and ended up cracking the smack out of the welds… so I had to find myself a repair guy and figured I’d have him do drains while he was at it.

I ended up taking it to Classic Fabricating and Repair run by a guy named Kevin Hembre, and I cannot say enough good things about him. He went the second mile, he actually stuck around his shop till !! 8PM !! to get everything done so I could take the boat out last night.

I really strongly recommend him to anyone who needs, specifically, aluminum or sheet steel repairs done on their boat, or really any sort of welding or metal fabrication done.

As for the photos:

• the first is a repair to the handle on the bow of the port pontoon. The weld on the right was cracked.
    • The second is of the repairs to the cracked welds on the prow; once the thing corrodes a bit you’ll never be able to tell it was welded.
    • The third is the repair to the starboard handle on the end of the pontoon… you can see two welds there. There was metal missing and he dressed up the ends and actually welded in a new piece of aluminum to fill the gap.
    • And the last two are of the drain plugs in the back end. He welded in plates that he’d drilled and tapped so that the drains are actually reinforced rather than creating potential weak points in aft wall of the pontoons.

I’m just extremely impressed with his customer service and obvious skill.

Here’s his website:

http://www.classicfabricationandrepair.com/

Tell him Jared sent you.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Pretty nice TIG work for working in odd posioions.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Very nice. Especially the job on the drain plugs. I like utility over looks!

-J.

smartin013
    Kalispell, MT

I see you got the !@&%! handle fixed! That thing bit the he11 outa my hand last time I was in MN.

armchairdeity

Quote:

I see you got the !@&%! handle fixed! That thing bit the he11 outa my hand last time I was in MN.

Sam:
    Me:
    Sam:
    Me:

armchairdeity

Quote:

Pretty nice TIG work for working in odd posioions.

That’s what I thought… I was gonna MIG weld it myself, but then I figured it being a boat hull and all. Yanno, better to spend some money than to hit the water and go glug glug glug!

And yeah, those drain plugs look original, don’t they?

I was extremely impressed. And his rate’s only $75/hour. Not bad for that kinda skill.

smartin013
    Kalispell, MT

Quote:

Quote:

Sam:
    Me:
    Sam:
    Me:

armchairdeity

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sam:
    Me:
    Sam:
    Me:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.