Help Motor Trouble

• MATT34H
    Allison, IA

I have a 95 100 hp Mariner and this past weekend my tilt and trim went out the motor is able to go down but when I try to trim it up all I get is a clicking sound but once and a great while it will go up but it hasn’t after the last several attempts does anyone have any ideas or is there a way to manually tilt it up so I can get it out of the water and have it looked at without dragging it on the ramp?

folke2000

If it has 2 solenoids, try switching them and see if it picks up. If it does, just need to replace the one. Worked for me in the past.

Good luck,
    Bruce

Bassn Dan

Quote:

If it has 2 solenoids, try switching them and see if it picks up. If it does, just need to replace the one. Worked for me in the past.

Good luck,
    Bruce

I agree with Bruce, it’s probably the solenoid. I’d suggest replacing both the up and the down as long as you have one that has gone bad. The other one will probably do the same thing before too long…

Good luck.

Dan

onestout
    Hudson, WI

My experience has been that it’s normally one of the 2 relay switches, that may be what the previous 2 posts meant. I did a search and they are on amazon for $3, electronics places will normally have them cheaper. That’s what I’ve had to replace in the past. If that is it, don’t get them from a dealer, expensive.

Bassn Dan

Older motors have “solenoids” and newer motors have “relays.” Matt’s motor probably has solenoids, but a check of Merc’s on-line motor schematic and parts list would confirm which one it is and the part number.

Dan

onestout
    Hudson, WI

You’re probably right Dan, I didn’t look it up I just thought that they switched in the late 80’s. You also bring up a good point and that is to look at the schematic online, I use that resource quite often. If the oem doens’t have a schematic online a lot of times parts places will.

MATT34H
    Allison, IA

Thanks for the help guys I hope to get back to the lake soon so I can check it out. Is changing the solenoids diffifult to do? would I be able to do it myself or would it be a better idea to bring it in somewere. Thanks

Bassn Dan

Quote:

Thanks for the help guys I hope to get back to the lake soon so I can check it out. Is changing the solenoids diffifult to do? would I be able to do it myself or would it be a better idea to bring it in somewere. Thanks

It’s pretty easy to do. On my motor I have to take off “air box” to change the solenoids, which is kind of a pain, but not difficult. Just be sure to label your wires and to tighten the bolts adequately without over-tightening them and stripping something (or leaving a bolt loose that could get sucked into the motor.) It’s not among my favorite things to do, and that’s why as long as I had it apart, I changed BOTH the up and the down solenoid the last time that one went out.

Good luck.

Dan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.