Jiffy Auger Help Please

• lyvewire
    new hampshire

I have a 2 yr old 3hp legend, that chatters when under heavy load. high,lowspeed seem good. auger engine runs well, but power ouput is suspect. I have a 20 year old jiffy that cuts better. anyone ever experience this with a lightly used auger

Bob Carlson
    Mille Lacs Lake (eastside), Mn.

Your blades could be lose or bent…..the clutch might be slipping a bit also?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

When you say “chatters”…are you talking about engine ping? Or chattering in the clutch area?

If it is engine ping, dump the gas start with fresh…and maybe try a higher octane.

WELCOME to the board! New Hampshire? Minnesota? LOL!

lyvewire
    new hampshire

not engine noice, seems like the drill is acting more like a hammer drill, like the being in 4th gear doing 15 mph instead of 100

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

lyvewire, welcome to the site.

What’s the warranty period on those?

lyvewire
    new hampshire

1 year which ran out i month ago. Only used it 4-5 times last year,

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

OUCH! You might try to contact a tech at the manufacturer. Like Bobber said, that clutch might be slipping. I am sure we’ll also get some other suggestions here. It gets busy here over lunch hour on Mondays. Check back every once in awhile.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Besides checking the blades as Bobber mentioned, my dad had a Jiffy that one of the welds broke on the bottom of the auger. Inspect that area…otherwise everything points to the clutch…which I don’t have any experiance in.
    Here’s a link to Jiffy’s contact us email. They might give you some direction and it maybe a part that you can replace yourself.

Contact Jiffy

bam_bam
    Badger, MN- not too far from the big pond!

I’ll answer your question with another question: has it seemed to ‘chatter’ when it’s sub-zero out?-and the auger has been outside in the sub-zero temp for a while? Mine does it from time to time also, but once you warm it up, it behaves. It IS the clutch slipping, but that’s caused buy really thick oil in the gear box because of the recent -30 below temps. If you experience this problem again, what I do is run the auger at a speed just above an idle with no load on for a minute or so, increasing throttle as it seems to free up. This warms up the gear box and gets the oil flowing!!

lyvewire
    new hampshire

Thanks to all for the responses. I will check them out and see how she runs this weekend

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I rebuilt the clutch on mine not long ago. One of the springs broke and it was always engaged. Very dangerous to use that way. One place you can get it fixed or just buy the parts is D-Rock Center in New Brighton. Authourized Jiffy and Strike Master repair center. They were very nice to me. Sold me what I needed and even described how to install. 651-639-0446

lyvewire
    new hampshire

talked to the folks at Jiffy today and I cant say enough about them. After telling them of my problem and how i was chatting on line about it, they told me to bring it to the local service center and they will cover whatever(clutch or springs) issue there is. I’ll follow up with the actual problem once uncovered, thanks again to all. I can tell i will be a regular here

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

That’s GREAT news. Sounds like very good service! Let us know how it turns out please.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.