Mr. Pike 16′ versus 1775 Pro-V SE ???

• Ray221
    Kenyucky

I have the opportunity to buy either a 1998 Mr. Pike ’16 with a 50 hp Merc 4 stroke or a 1999 1775 Pro-V SE with a 90 hp Merc. Both boats have the same asking price. I plan on river fishing primarily. Which is the preferred boat?

Again any and all comments are appreciated. TIA

Ray221

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

PRO V all the way! I really don’t know much about the Mr. Pike boats but the Pro V’s are the tourney anglers boat. I personally feel like the Pro V holds it’s value better too.

Either way, you WILL have a nice boat!

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Take the Pro-V and you won’t regret it. It is wider and rides a whole lot better in the waves. The storage is immense compared to the Mr. Pike. All in all it is a better boat aft to bow.

Gator Hunter

lenny_jamison
    Bay City , WI

Hey Kid
    I see you found a new signature quote. Who is this K.G. guy? I didn’t know a basketball player could be so philisophical.

Gator Hunter

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

the Mr Pike is a year older, a ft shorter and has a smaller motor and yet is the same price? maybe the 4 stroke motor makes up for the difference. I own a ’01 Merc 90 and have found it to be a dependable motor. A little cold blooded but always starts.

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

The 1998 Mr. Pike 16 is not really a Mr. Pike 16 by todays Mr. Pike 16 standards. The newer ones, 2001 on up are a completely different boat. Let me explain. Back then they took the 1650 Lund Angler and moved the steering console to the rear of the boat and called it a Mr. Pike 16. Todays Mr. Pike 16 is a much different and better boat, much more closer to the Pro V. If the Pro V is in good shape and not beat you would probably be much happier with it. Lots more room, more features and a better ride. They are really a nice boat. I have a 2001 Mr. Pike 16 and love it but it is a completely different boat than the boat you are looking at. The 2001 model had every feature the Pro Vs did in 2001 including the IPS hull. In 2002 they took some of the Mr. Pike features away as it was too close to the Pro V but is still a great boat. But the 1998 is an 1650 angler, which is a nice boat [almost bought the tiller version in 1998] but the Pro V is much more boat. Let us know which boat you choose and how you like it. Thanks, Bill

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

Pro-V all the way !!

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Quote:

Hey Kid
    I see you found a new signature quote. Who is this K.G. guy? I didn’t know a basketball player could be so philisophical.

Gator Hunter

Thanks for puttin’ a grin in my mornin’ cup of java Gator!!! …………………….basketball player………….. What a card!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I have the ’01 Angler SS 1775. If everything else is equal (motor and boat’s in good shape. I don’t thing anyone would disagree…go with the pro v. But both boats will put fish in the frying pan…with comfort!

Ken…I didn’t know you played basket ball?

Ray221
    Kenyucky

Bill,

Your response was exactly the kind of response I was hoping to get. Founded in a special expertise. PRO V it is.

Thanks to all who responded. Your input was also greatly appreciated.

Next question is, “I’d like to have the engine inspected/tested, Where/who would provide such a service?” I live in south Minneapolis and the boat is in Bethel.

Again, TIA.

Ray221

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

I don’t know of any Dealers myself in that area but taking it to a Dealer and have him hook it up to a machine he can tell you how good the compression etc. is. If you buy it I would have the plugs changed and lower unit grease changed as just normal service to any outboard motor. The dealer can hook a hose up to the motor and run it too. If there are smaller dings in the propeller I would have that too fixed. Again thats just normal service.

Thanks, Bill

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Rapid Sports in Ham Lake (?) is up that way. I haven’t had any experiance with them except to fill my wish list.

eyejacker
    Hudson, Wisconsin

I have a 1998 Lund “MR. Pike 16” with a 4-stroke, 70HP, Jonhson powering it and absolutely love it! It has treated me extremely well over the years.

Geronimo

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.