E-tec Motors, Good or Bad?

• impalapower
    Madison, WI

What years and models are good and bad for the E-tecs?

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

It’s not the motors you have to worry about, it’s the lower units.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Whats been happening with them? There is a used tiller boat for sale with an E-tec on it. Nothing against Evinrude, just not a fan of them. Thought I’d ask about them first.

dea
    Hixton, WI

We haven’t had any problems with lower units – unless they come in contact with a wing dam.

mojogunter

I have an 07 225 E-Tec with 130 hours on it with no problems yet. I know the first year they came out many had issues with burning down, much like the first year Merc Opti’s. I didn’t want one when I bought my boat, but I could get a much better deal on the boat I bought with the E-Tec. The lower unit problems is new to me. That is the first time I have ever heard anyone claim that. I have been happy with it so far.

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

I have a 2004 40 horse with 400 hours on it. No problems with it unless I hit rocks on the Pond or a wing dam.

Jeremiah Shaver
    La Crosse, WI

Not sure if these are the same E-techs that run around in the bass world or not – but it’s pretty common knowledge in our realm that Evinrude’s in general have had weak lower units for years…Perhaps the lower HP motors don’t have the same problems as the 200+ ones do.

Still a great motor!!

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

I see alot of tiller sized Etecs all year round,plus we have had 40 hp tillers for rental units.No brand is perfect, but in that size class,I have seen no more issues than any other brand.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

The best day I had with my Etech was the day i sold it. This was a 75 hp tiller. Even on its best day this motor was not as good as the same size Yamaha on my boat now. If you dont plan on fishing in cold weather or trolling the E tech would get you by. They also have a great warranty. Got to use mine many time. Not sure about the Yamaha warranty. Havent had to us it yet.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Quote:

The best day I had with my Etech was the day i sold it. This was a 75 hp tiller. Even on its best day this motor was not as good as the same size Yamaha on my boat now. If you dont plan on fishing in cold weather or trolling the E tech would get you by. They also have a great warranty. Got to use mine many time. Not sure about the Yamaha warranty. Havent had to us it yet.

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Well stated. Kinda like my friend’s Hunka Honda 90. He’s been towed out of Voyager’s at least three times. I’m sure Honda’s gotten better over the years, but he’s had nothing but trouble with it.

Pete

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Quote:

x2
    I had a 2007 etech 115. 2 of them. The first one lasted only 1 day then I took it back to the dealer and told them I wanted a new one or I would cancel payment on the check I wrote and they could have the whole package back. Reason, they couldn’t get the mapping right in it. It would run great out of water with the muffs on. In water couldn’t get it to run. The 2nd motor 3 months after I got it the first of 3 certified letters from BRP came stating I must not run my motor and get it to a dealer to have the mapping updated. Failure to do so could result in a power head meltdown. Any use of the motor after receiving the letter would void all warranties. 9 months into my ever so happy ownership of this pile the lower unit crapped out on me. It was explained to me by the dealer that repaired it that it self destructed. Was not the result of an impact with anything for i was taking off in over 30 feet of water. This thing once the weather got down around the mid 30’s didn’t want to run and when it did run ran like crap. The hole time I owned it I had an oil leak that no one could fix, around 2300-2800 rpm’s it missed like there was no tomorrow. I went threw atleast a set of plugs every season. When if finaly unloaded this pile it only had 87 hrs on it. If etech was the only motor left on earth I’d learn to golf.

ted-merdan

Pretty sure you can say that about any motor out there. One of my Yam F250’s blew a power head so there goes that argument. I owned an 08 250 HO and never had a problem, trolled with it, ran flat out, idled, etc. – amazing all the way around and significantly more torque (5 guys, full fuel & livewell still gets on plane in less than 5 seconds) and 7 mph faster in all conditions on identical 621/F250’s. Now I own a 2010 150 E-TEC tiller on a 620T and the torque is still unbeliveable, uses hardly any fuel or oil and trolls all day without a hick-up. My understanding is E-TEC had an iferior supplier of a lower unit gear that was casuing a problem in the mid 2000’s but that has been rectified since.

Since you are spending YOUR money, take a test ride with each motor technology and make up your mind. The great thing nowdays is that all the advancements have forced every motor company to continue to advance their offerings which means that consumers win and this is a great thing.

Good luck but don’t take one off or I heard a friend of a friend blah, blah, blah stories…

-ted

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

After running both motors on my boat and seeing the best that both can do there is no argument that the Yamaha is the far better designed motor for the way I fish. Once again Im talking 75 hp tillers.

bassmaster
    SE, MN

Quote:

Pretty sure you can say that about any motor out there. One of my Yam F250’s blew a power head so there goes that argument.

Good one . How many hours did you have on it? Was it new out of the box? I went threw 2 motors in less than a week . I don’t think it’s even close to the same. You could get a bad motor and just be bad luck but 2 of them give me a break. E-tecs are CRAP!!!!!

ted-merdan

I am initially inclined to tell you to ‘pound sand’ and that we could have peacefully agreed to disagree and I was offering up factual info for a those who are viewing this to ponder and make their decision to spend their $$.

I owned 3 F250’s – an 05, 06 and 07 so I don’t put a ton of hours on my motors any more – don’t recall the hours as it was 5 motors ago… More power head failures have happened with Yam motors than the general public is aware of.

Yes you could get a bad motor and there is also that chance you could get two in a row

Maybe this should be my tagline: ‘Yamaha’s are slow and pokey’ I have an F150 on my pontoon and for a slow pontoon I guess that’s an appropriate application…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Anything manmade can and will fail. No motor company can make a “zero failures” claim. Find a good dealer that will take care of you after the sale and pick the motor that best seems to suit the way you fish. If you’re holding out for a motor that never fails of needs warranty work… get yourself a snickers. You’re…. “gonna be awhile.”

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Knowing the reputation of Bombardier and how well received the E-Tec snowmobile engine was last year it really surprises me to hear some of these accounts.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I have had zero problems with my 150 e-tec and had nothing but problems with my previous mercury. Everybody throws out a lemon now and then. If all the motors from a specific manufacturer sucked as some seem to believe, the company wouldn’t be in business anymore, plain and simple.

impalapower
    Madison, WI

Thanks for all the replies. I was simply wondering if there was a year or two where they had issues. I understand anything and everything will break. After having a four stroke, it seems rather odd going back to the two stroke. I’ve heard you don’t smell the Etec two stroke. I’ll have to go check out the boat, and get rid of some ice to try it out. It is located in the LaCrosse area, so the river should be open.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.