need help with my tandem axle system on trailer

• Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Ok guys, here’s the problem. I noticed when I got this trailer last month that there were blocks of wood under the trailer frame near the rear tire, as you can see in one of the photos. Tuesday night, I found out why they’re there. We backed the boat down the ramp, heard and felt a huge pop. Long story short, the leaf shackles flipped on the port side, and broke the piece of wood there, and wouldn’t flip back. So that side of the trailer rode on one tire all the way home instead of both. I jacked it up today, and it flipped back. The problem now is, both sides are different. The picture with the wood is the starboard side, and you can see that both sides of the pivot arm have the leafs in diff positions (one up, one down). On the port side, the side I jacked up, they are both in the same position (both leaf sides up). It looks to me like the port side looks more natural, and that’s the way it should be.

I’m thinking that whomever put the blocks of wood in there did something that didn’t need to be done.

Do you agree? How should they look? Like the picture with the block of wood or the one without?

jerry b
    western WI

Tah-Dah- now I see it, one shackle is pointed down and the other is up. Jack it up, remove the tires on that side, support the axles, unbolt the shackle and tip it up so it matches the other one. Bolt it back up and you’re home free. The bill’s in the mail jerr

johnie1610
    Eau Claire, WI

Should look like the one without the wood block at least what i have seen on other tandem trailers. Easy fix just like it is said in previous post.

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

I’ll look at mine when I get home. I think they are the same as yours. I’m wondering if you have some bushings or bolts that are worn allowing some play that lets it flip over too.

jerry b
    western WI

Only THE PHANTOM knows for sure. I figured the first guy hauled it with a flat tire. Seen that happen, but not sure the trailer’s old enough to have that kind of play in the bolts. Just another day in the life of a fisherman jerr

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Ha! Ya, just another day in the life, is right!

I think if I jack up the starboard side, the leaf will have enough give that it’ll flip over, like I did on the other side. I figured when I saw the wooden blocks installed, something was up. Maybe I’ll go out and try to do that real quick and see if it flips over. Suppose I better take the wooden block out first. I’m thinking something happened to someone, like what was mentioned about driving on a flat, and they had a quick fix and just left it that way. Plus, it looks like maybe the trailer might ride an inch or two lower, which is fine with me. Won’t have to back it in quite as far to launch. Might make a difference on some of our gravel ramps around here.

Maybe I’ll learn something out of this yet.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks Runr, that helps me out some. Think when I get back from Denver this weekend I’ll hammer on it Monday so it’ll be ready to go Wednesday. I’m anxious to see how much better it rides, because I’m thinking it’s gotta. Thanks guys–

KirtH
    Lakeville

Standing here staring at mine, shackles up with springs above the equelizer

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Yep, get rid of the wood and duct tape. Really makes it look redneckish.

Looks like you are on the right track, but I think you will have to jack up the trailer, unbolt the left shackle, let the trailer down to get the shackle in the correct position.

jerry b
    western WI

I’d say nahhh to removing the 2×4 & the duct tape. It sort of gives it a Nebraska-ish pinache. FYI-that’s one step above redneck jerr

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Ya, we’re high-class down here…

jerry b
    western WI

Anybody that spent the grocery check and half the rent on Wisconsin cheese curds can’t be all that bad jerr

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Man, that ain’t no kiddin! I love those damn things. I know if I lived in MN/WI I’d be 400 lbs, EASY.

The update is that I jacked up one side of of the springs, and the upside down side looked like it wanted to flip, but it didn’t. With the help of a couple whacks from my BFH, it flipped right back over. When unloading the boat tomorrow, I’ll take some measurements and see where the axles are on the springs and see if they’ve moved any at all. Hoping for good luck tomorrow going down the road.

phishirman
    Madison, WI

just a note about tandem axles. I had a bearing blow out this spring on the interstate which almost was a good thing since it forced me to take a closer look at my trailer. What a disaster! Long story short, once I dug into it, the only thing that was salvageable from all the wear and tear was the front axle. I had bolts that were worn halfway through where they ride on the shackles and those didn’t look much better. A couple of the shackles where the bolts go through were so out of round you could almost stick 2 bolts through. Had I not taken it apart I would have never realized since the heads of the bolts cover it up.

Brian Robinson
    central Neb

Thanks for the tip.

I do think I’ll be having my trailer looked at by the local frame experts, they do great work. Something just doesn’t look right to me, and I just can’t figure out what it is. I know they’ll be able to tack it down. Not looking forward to the bill, but I know it’ll be worth it in the long run.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.