Hair jig tying guys??

• johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

What is the best thread to use when tying hair jigs? Waxed or non-waxed?

What type of fur or hair does everyone prefer? Marabou or buck tail??

Thanks!

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

I like waxed thread and bucktail. On my small crappie jigs I use grey and fox squirrel tails.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I dont think there is a BEST thread , but I use lightly waxed Ultra Thread ,in either the 70 or 140 denier(sp).Its the only thread I have found in the color I wanted.

For hair I use both bucktail and synthetic hairs,pending on the purpose of the jigs.

Prestige
    Elgin, MN

I would use waxed mono. It is very strong. I use it to tye streamers and deer hair spun poppers. Does not break very easy.

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

I am looking at tying some hair jigs for walleye fishing. So they will be larger than most crappie jigs.

Richard V.
    Somewhere over the rainbow

Nylon at least 100 denier, I usually use 140 denier (spelling?). I like nylon because it stretches and will stay tight. Make sure you get a bobbin with a ceramic stem, because tight is good and the slightest bur in a steel stem will cut the thread. Start out with a few wraps on the shank of the hook then start adding buck hair until you get the desired quantity wrapping all the while you are adding the hair. I finish wrapping with a whip close to the jig head seven times (7 is a lucky number ) do it twice. In no time at all you will be able to tie one without head cement. Cheap clear fingernail polish makes good head cement to use until you are confident that you can finish it with out the cement. Something else I like to add a couple pieces of flash to complement the hair or to contrast the hair, it really helps to make the jig stand out (remember that the flash could also turn the fish off).

Hope this helps

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

I like to use wax thread or even regular sewing thread in various colors. clear finger nail polish for cementing thread. bucktail is fine but be creative add Hackle feathers, flashaboo, mylar, ect,. The Griz just uses red Hackle feathers. The best thing is you can do what you what and if you believe it will work it will

lundgeye
    Rochester, Minnesota

I use waxed Kevlar for tying hair…very very strong and if you want to flair the hair, you can with no fear of breaking the thread. I use all sorts of other stuff for igs depending on size and material.

walleyejohn

I am also one in agreement with LundgEYE.
    I have used a number of different kinds of threads and Kevlar coated is my favorite.
    It allows you to tie a bit tighter and is lays perfectly when winding.
    Although not necessary I use a drop of super thin Zap after whipping several times at the head.

Good Luck,
    walleyejohn

johnksully
    Lakeville, MN

I’m having trouble doing my whip finishes. I bought the tool but I just can’t get the knots to work. Anyone have any tips on whip finishes?

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I do a different way of finishing, it is the same as the finish when wraping a eyelet on a rod.

Take some heavier line (hi vis is better to see) make about a 6″ loop with a knot. Now when done tying hair to the jig lay the loop across the winding loop end towards the head, wrap about 6-8 more wraps (not to tight) then cut the wrap line and put the end through the loop and pull knot end of the loop so the end of the wrap line pulls under your 6-8 wraps, coat with head cement and your done.

I have never had one come apart and it is just easier for me to do it that way. Give it a try.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.