24 VOLT BATTERY CHARGER QUESTION?

• wap
    SE minnesota

I have a question about my 24volt charger I have it setup to charge two batteries together.The red light is the only thing I get now I have a friend with the same charger so I hooked up my batteries to his boat/charger and they charged up just fine then I put them back in my boat and the charger still shows the red light.I left it plugged in for 24 hrs with the same result.I was wondering if my charger took a crap or something else could cause this?thanks for any help with this matter.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Sometimes if the batteries are too low, some chargers won’t charge, maybe you can bump them up with another charger for a bit and try it again.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Did you check all the fuses?

Mine are fused on both the positive and negative leads.

wap
    SE minnesota

Yes I checked the fuses and the batteries were fully charged when I put them back into my boat I still had the red light.Thanks for your response.Is there anyway I could have hooked it up wrong?The last time I was on the river I had to pull out one battery to start my motor the starter battery died but I hooked it up the same way it was it dont seem that complex but you never know.Maybe if someone had a diagram of how they should be hooked up in a series to be positive it is right.

walleyejoe
    Litchfield, MN

are you sure that your 24volt system is properly wired? It might be shorting out. Also check for any breaks in the wire sheathing or loose connections.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Positive from trolling motor plug to battery #1’s positve.

Negative from trolling motor plug to battery #2″s negative.

Jumper wire from battery #1’s neg. to battery #2’s positve.

I have separate leads for each trolling motor battery from

my MinnKota charger as they do not recommend charging two

batteries with one charging bank.

Did you try hooking the charger to just one of the batteries?

Dan

jdlando4

If your TM batteries are wired in series why can’t you charge both of them at the same time. Just curious as to why Minn Kota says not to.. I read somewhere that it is possible but it would basically take twice as long to charge the TM batteries. I am definately not a expert on the issue so advice is a good thing for me. I have a 2 bank charger and have them connected to each TM battery but was thinking about using 1 bank to charge my starting battery and the other for my TM batteries rather than having to buy a new 3 bank charger. I don’t want to screw something up though. Any more thoughts on this?

walleyejoe
    Litchfield, MN

you want to charge both batteries seperately. you can leave them wired in a series and you do not have to remove the jumper wire but you do have to have each of the batteries hooked up to there own charging bank. for example: a 24 volt system would require a 2 bank charger and if you want to charge your cranking battery at the same time you would need a 3 bank charger.Don’t try to charge 2 batteries with one bank you can severely hurt the batteries and possibly even blow out your charger or even start a fire by doing that. Follow the instruction book as if it were a bible and do what they tell you. If you still can’t get it to work you could disconnect the charger from the batteries one at a time testing each set of leads with a multimeter to see if they are putting out any juice. If nothing happens you would have to send it in or replace it.

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

I am no expert either but do not believe the charge can leap from one battery to the other. Your draw on them in series is 24 volts but the charge going in in that configuration would be for 12. That is why, I am told, you need to charge each battery seperately.

hisser
    Chatfield, Mn

Have you tried unplugging your trolling motor, mine will sometimes do the same thing when I leave the TM plugged in. I also have had mine do it if the batteries were nearly full charged when I plugged them in. Not sure why but it has happened several times, in all cases the batteries were charged properly.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

The first question is is this a 24volt charger w 2 leads 1+and 1- or is this a 2 bank charger 12volts ea.set of leads if you try and hook up 1 12v lead to 24v you have to seperate the batteries and then hook up each battery++ &–then you could charge the batteries in paralell,it would take twice as long then,if you hook up a 12v charger to 24v you would damage the charger.

jdlando4

Thanks for the input. I dug around and found where I read it was OK to do this on another forum just to make sure I wasn’t dreaming it up. After I thought about it, I should have known better that you can’t hook a 12V lead to a 24V system without causing problems. Thanks Again.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.