Need help in dropping lower unit

• Doug Bonwell
    Cedar Falls IA

I need to put in a new impeller and want to drop the lower end on my 150 Merc. XR6. I’ve loosend the four bolts and can’t get it to budge free and ideas that I’m missing. To make matters worse the lady at the parts counter said she could put it in thanks

ranger520

Not totaly familiar with this one but there may be a bolt on the front side of the lower down from the top. It has been years since I dropped one myself but give it a check. Scott

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Quote:

Not totaly familiar with this one but there may be a bolt on the front side of the lower down from the top. It has been years since I dropped one myself but give it a check. Scott

That and there may be a linkage disconnect needed too. Look on the side of the lower housing above the seam formed between the lower housing and the lower unit. It may be ventilated and be held with a couple of screws. Take that cover off and operate the shifter to see if the is a union with screws at each end. You may need to remove the lower screw to that union if things won’t come apart freely. Keep in mind there is a seal between the housing and lower unit that may be hanging up too.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

The shift linkage will seperate without diconnecting anything.

-J.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

It takes a hour or less once you’v done it there are the 5 nuts you can see(1front 2 front sides 2 from underneith twoard tail) and 1 under the tail plate take the plastic plug on top of back,take out the bolt holding plate then you can get at last nut when you start to drop lower unit down you have the speedo tube to unhook push down on steel piece and the hose pulls out I type slow so just call me for rest I have a 2001 xr6 and have changed it a couple times now good luck. Stan i’ll pm you phone #

iansdad123
    waterloo,ia

maybe you should ask her how much she would charge ya.

bassn7
    Bruce,WI

I just looked click on Jon’s link above it’s that easy
    Stan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.